Increased my supply......now what?

jessmke

Reaction score
Last week my supply plummeted to the point where I almost completely dried up on the left side. I cut back on the amount of exercise I was doing, started drinking 2-3 litres of water during the day and an additional 750 ml at night when I get up to nurse, eat a big bowl of oatmeal every morning, eat 2-4 lactation cookies each day, drink a pot of mother's milk tea each day, and have Guinness at night when LO goes to bed. My supply has rebounded thank goodness, but now can I stop eating/drinking all of these things or will my supply tank again if I stop? I don't mind eating the oatmeal, but I would like to cut out the cookies, tea, and Guinness but I am worried about what will happen to my supply if I do. I would also like to start exercising more again but I am afraid that will cause a drop in my supply too.

If you want to start exercising again I wouldn't cut out the cookies.. I'd at least find other snacks to have during the day. You need to make sure you are eating enough when not exercising and most definitely when you are or it will plummet again. You can experiment with it but I've always had to make sure I have some snacks or just do more smaller meals all day instead of 3 big ones to be sure my supply didn't go down when exercising. Good luck!

If you want to start exercising again I wouldn't cut out the cookies.. I'd at least find other snacks to have during the day. You need to make sure you are eating enough when not exercising and most definitely when you are or it will plummet again. You can experiment with it but I've always had to make sure I have some snacks or just do more smaller meals all day instead of 3 big ones to be sure my supply didn't go down when exercising. Good luck!

It is sure that mother needs to take sufficient food at the time of breastfeeding a baby and more importantly when she is doing some exercise. You can get more knowledge from https://parentsneed.com/ .

I agree with PP. Not eating enough and getting enough fluids was the biggest mistake I made. My HV recommended compote as the best snack - plenty of fluids and natural sugars from the fruit. It's easy enough to do your own without any added sugars, but try some cinnamon or cloves in the mix :)

I also think that while it's important to lose enough weight to feel comfortable in your body and also make it easier to perform everyday tasks, getting back into your old jeans or having beach body should be the least of your concerns. You gave a life to a person so if anyone is judging you should take a good look at their own perspective on life.

I agree with PP. Not eating enough and getting enough fluids was the biggest mistake I made. My HV recommended compote as the best snack - plenty of fluids and natural sugars from the fruit. It's easy enough to do your own without any added sugars, but try some cinnamon or cloves in the mix :)

I also think that while it's important to lose enough weight to feel comfortable in your body and also make it easier to perform everyday tasks, getting back into your old jeans or having beach body should be the least of your concerns. You gave a life to a person so if anyone is judging you should take a good look at their own perspective on life.

Thanks for the input. No one has judged me or made any comments about my weight, I have always been an extremely active person and competitive triathlete, I just had to realize that while I am breastfeeding I can't train as much as I used to without it affecting my supply. I was training for Ironman Canada but have withdrawn from the race and am now just going to do a local half Ironman. I would love to get back to my normal workout/training routine but not at the expense of my ability to feed my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->