IPads for Kids

The only reason we decided if they were going to use one they needed there own is because they can't use ours due to some of the logins and details on the devices all work related. Lots of logins and powers :lol: My youngest is sneaky she sat beside Daddy a few weeks back when he was on his iphone memorised his pin code and when he left it to the side she opened the phone up and managed to change all his privacy settings on FB of all things ... can't risk it! :D

Lol, my son has bought some stuff off amazon via one click! Opps. I have locked it but it locks out and I'm scared it will delete everything of he keeps entering wrong numbers.

When we have some money they kids will get one between them so I can actually use mine.

Nope. I had crayons and paper nd I want sophie to develop good skills with her writing and painting. I dont agree with inotabs etc because yes they may be great as learning tools but whats wrong with a paper book!

Well we don't fancy deleting BnB or something like that so yer the risk isn't worth it :lol:

If we'd have gone for the £400 ipads then it probably would have been 1 between them but for a sake of OH pulling another £100 from his backside it was worth one each (total £500) so we can all sit together. They like equally doing the same thing ... for Caitlins homework I had to buy my youngest a spare notebook so she can sit and do activities with her big sister it's really good how much she has learnt from it.

Well we don't fancy deleting BnB or something like that so yer the risk isn't worth it :lol:

If we'd have gone for the £400 ipads then it probably would have been 1 between them but for a sake of OH pulling another £100 from his backside it was worth one each (total £500) so we can all sit together. They like equally doing the same thing ... for Caitlins homework I had to buy my youngest a spare notebook so she can sit and do activities with her big sister it's really good how much she has learnt from it.

Please don't let them delete BNB!

I have three kids and although the twins are only one they love it too, Danny has some understanding on basics of moving things and such like, and Jacob, he has found it he holds down the button if makes a noise, when you can give it voice commands and sometimes it picks uo noise and talks back to him, so if its the iPod, iPhone or ether of the iPads he does it and is so proud of himself, it's hilarious.

My eldest at three can do thing I can't, lol, he always creates folders and insists all his apps are in it, lol. But yes, I have also ended uo with some sunrise packages from amazon and because I've ordered so much lately for christmas I don't take note if the order confirmation emails, :blush:, so I just get a package and think, I wouldn't have ordered that.:haha:

I wouldn't want my child having their own one but would let them use mine. My 9 month old is obsessed with trying to get our iPad as she sees my husband on it all the time!

We have one and my daughter loves it! She colours on it, plays animal sounds, plays the piano, looks at interactive books. She unlocks it, knows where all her apps are etc etc. TBH it was a godsend when i first had Hayden as i knew it would keep her occupied while i saw to Hayden. But now, at 10 months hayden has started to notice it and loves to sit on my knee while we play the animal sounds, he even touches the animals to make the noises! But it does mean if he sees T with it he wants it so now it stays hidden mostly and T might get 30 mins when Hayden is asleep to save on tantrums!

We bought my LO a tablet when she was 2.5.

We originally bought it for her when we were going away. To keep her occupied on the flight etc however she now has free use of it. I found limiting her time on it just made her want on it more. She can play it by herself and will sometimes take it up to her bedroom to play on it when she wants peace or we'll play on it together.

I've hidden the YouTube app so I know she can't watch anything that I haven't downloaded onto it. The apps she has on are all colouring, stories, games etc. I think it's important for a child to be computer literate. It's our future. I know before long she'll be using them in school.

Wobbles hit the nail on the head. Times move on.

For those not planning to allow these things until kids become teenagers, you could very well be holding them back. Things have advanced enough that tablets are starting to appear in schools now, they are going to become more and more prominent. Do you really want to exclude your child from using them to the full capacity they can be used?

I bought Alex an iPod touch just before Xmas too(I never fancy taking the iPad outside now). Technology is a big thing now, if we can move with the times why not. We got Apple TV the other day and realised we could create slideshows to teach her through the idevices. There's so many possibilities with these things.

^ I agree, also its good for kids to know how they all work and to understand them. After all, they are the future generations x

I considered getting a tablet for Lucas' last birthday but he's just not interested really. He loves cars and trains and toys he can smash around - an iPod is far too delicate for him :lol:

They seem like a good alternative to lugging all the paraphernalia around to keep them entertained when it's needed. He'll probably inherit my iPod Touch when he shows an interest - I can't stand touchscreen I don't remember the last time I used it :dohh:

Katie&lucas I really recommend the Fisher Price iPod/iPhone case and the iPad cases. We have both and the iPods been flung about a bit safely.

we got the fisher price case for christmas, its brill! Although i feel a bit odd using it!

My sister has one - aged 4. My son will get mine in 2 years (I have the brand new one) when I update. I believe it's okay so long as it's limited time wise, and as long as all parental controls are used and turned on. Its great for my little sisters car ride, we have a headrest thing which allows her to watch films in the car. x

Haven't read through all the posts in this thread... but my son uses my ipad for certain games and tools that were encouraged by his speech therapist. He is allowed to use it for a certain time (some days not if we are too busy and out and about). The games/ tools he uses are ones that we have deemed to be useful for his needs. He is far too little to to be delving into the internet, so that isn't yet a concern :shrug:

I think they have their use, but like anything in moderation and with supervision. I also think things have changed from when we were little and to some degree their education and the "education highway" is different, there is some expectation that computers, ipad's, internet etc. will be used in education (including primary), in a very different way from our day (or at least mine, depending on how old the rest of you ladies are :dohh:)... Who knows... so many of the things I said I would never do and been quite judgmental about pre-children I see quite differently now... :shrug:

Also, just wanted to add we got some foam cover from Virgin Megastore, which keeps it pretty safe...

My LO has a leap pad but loves my iPad also. There are great learning apps, books etc that are brill and very educating.

I wouldn't buy my child an iPad, they're quite expensive and I think that large purchases like that are a bit extreme for a 4 year old IMO.

That being said, IF I owned one I would let her use it with me supervising.

Yes. I will get the latest Apple gadget when little one is about 3 and I will have it programmed suitably for their use.

Wow, I'm the only one that said not at all? :shrug: What do kids need with an ipad? They'll have ancient cell phones once they reach an age they're doing stuff without us and they'll have a computer or two in a common living space and maybe an mp3 player. Hell, I don't have anything like an iphone and I hate seeing people spaced out staring at them. We'll have a "no gadgets in the house" rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->