IPads for Kids

My daughter is 6 so all the apps we have are age appropriate for her, I would'nt let my lo who is 6 months play with it until she was old enough probably until 5/6 and had an understanding that it was breakable and cost a hell of alot of money lol

I'm curious though. My mom bought me and my brother flash cards. We sat and read aloud. She had books on tape for the car. There are other ways to do educational things with your children besides educational apps on an ipad. Do parents that have ipads for their kids do these things as well?

Of course they do! The best way to learn is by doing things in lots of different ways. iPads are just another method to add to an arsenal of activities. I'd never use flash cards and never push letters/counting etc. E however is now really keen to count and add. We do lots of things to explore counting and numbers but she does also love an app where you add and match answers. We play lotto and matching picture cards. She also plays a picture matching game on the ipad. We read constantly, fiction, non-fiction,environmental reading and so on. It doesn't have to be one way or the other. As ever, a mix of lots of approaches works best.

I had flash cards for multiplication tables, not for letters/numbers, just to clarify :flower:

Why use an ipad though with your child if you can do all these things plus have parental interaction? Do you sit with your child while they use the Ipad too? :flower:

I wouldn't buy an iPad for my son now. He's allowed to use mine though as I see it as an excellent learning tool. I voted that I would buy him one, maybe when a teenager. At an age I suppose that he can understand the value of it (they are £400++...a lot of money for a young child to play with!) and use it unsupervised but with parental controls turned on.

I have no problem with children/toddlers using them though. They are so clever and so informative when used appropriately.

Times move on and this is one of them... obviously there is a divide on preference. You are right they should not replace handwriting etc for christmas my kids christmas sacks are full of colouring crayons, colouring books, learning books, reading books and even a book with shoe laces. They already have plenty of these items and crafting in the house too... at night they go to bed with their drawing boards and an ipad will definitely not change this.

I won't say the girls won't ever be allowed to play with them on their own but yes I will be joining in when they use them just like I do with paper and flash card activities... an ipad shouldn't replace the parent.

I had flash cards for multiplication tables, not for letters/numbers, just to clarify :flower:

Why use an ipad though with your child if you can do all these things plus have parental interaction? Do you sit with your child while they use the Ipad too? :flower:

A lot of the apps require parental input. It's not just a way of fobbing your child off so you can leave them to it :rolleyes: especially when they have £400 worth of equipment in their little hands.

Me and my son often enjoy quiet time with the iPad, together, when my youngest is sleeping mainly. When using it we sing songs, trace letters/numbers, play toddler games, read interactive stories....and so the list goes on.

Technology is a way of our world now. I see no harm in our children getting to grips with it now as it will be the norm when they're older.

Blimey, we have a massive flat screen tv and my little boy is convinced its a touch screen. Thing is when he gets older, there probably will be touch screen tv's!!!

ETA.....if money wasn't an object to us then yes, I'd probably buy him one now. I just cringe at the thought of one being dropped on our natural stone floor :haha: he did that to my iPod once.....I've had two new ones since then :haha:

poppy you can buy some really good thick rubber cases for children. I will try and remember to ask him for the link tomorrow. reminds me of the rubber around vtech zoom cameras!

We have an iGuy.

Sophia does and plays with everything in moderation. I interact with her while she's doing most of her apps on there, but then again sometimes I just leave her to it and let her play by herself for a while. We also read, do flash cards, build with blocks, play with all of her toys and whatever else. Just because she has an iPad doesn't mean she isn't getting other stimulation from different things.

We have an iGuy.

Sophia does and plays with everything in moderation. I interact with her while she's doing most of her apps on there, but then again sometimes I just leave her to it and let her play by herself for a while. We also read, do flash cards, build with blocks, play with all of her toys and whatever else. Just because she has an iPad doesn't mean she isn't getting other stimulation from different things.

Just looked up the iguy. Super cute! I love how the arms are like handles :)

We really like it. There is also a Fisher Price iPad cover, I haven't used the one for the iPad but I have one for my iPhone.

We have 3 tablets in our house (Not iPads, Galaxy Notes 10.1) that we allow all of the kids to use. I wish they could enjoy the things I did as a child like reading real books and all the 'old fashioned' stuff. However this is a new technologically advanced generation and I feel it's important for them to be kept up to speed. Nowadays it's beneficial to learn this stuff because no doubt in the future it will be far more important.

That said, they never use them unsupervised and never for more than 30 minutes. They can learn to enjoy it but it'll never be an electronic babysitter :haha:

We use flash cards on the tablet, I read books, look at pictures of different animals and play the sounds.

Using a tablet is no different from other learning tools apart from the fact its all in one place.

We really like it. There is also a Fisher Price iPad cover, I haven't used the one for the iPad but I have one for my iPhone.

Do iiiiiiit whit! :rofl: it's awesome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
poppy you can buy some really good thick rubber cases for children. I will try and remember to ask him for the link tomorrow. reminds me of the rubber around vtech zoom cameras!

Sounds like something I should definitely invest in!

Do iiiiiiit whit! :rofl: it's awesome

That cover is brilliant! I'm going to have to look in to getting one for when the children use my iPad.

I would say accidents happen and a freak accident happened to ours which meant we had to fork out a three figure sum for a replacement - so decided to get the fisher price case just in case something else happened!

Zane is 4 and he has a iPad, well it's the families but he's the main user. It's got his films and games on.
He's had it since before he turned 4 and has it in his room all the time. His brother uses it to watch his fav film, Corey's 16 months lol and I take it out when we are going for a meal incase they don't want to draw or play with me.

I have an I guy for our iPad, it's amazing!
Look it up on amazon

I find it an amazing piece of educational kit, I would love for the kids to have Their own as their apps take up so much space on mine. Modern life is changing and I think it's great for kids to be using technology, but everything in moderation, one thing does not need to replace another.

The only reason we decided if they were going to use one they needed there own is because they can't use ours due to some of the logins and details on the devices all work related. Lots of logins and powers :lol: My youngest is sneaky she sat beside Daddy a few weeks back when he was on his iphone memorised his pin code and when he left it to the side she opened the phone up and managed to change all his privacy settings on FB of all things ... can't risk it! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->