is 20k a year

not being funny but you obviously have to cut back on a lot of things and most people want some £ left over for entertainment, beauty etc etc and dont want to live in a council house. Our mortgage comes to more than 8k a year :| and a lot of people have them.

Surprisngly we dont! and your makin out that livin in a council house is bad? My home is brand new, (3 yrs old this month and I have lived in it from day one) on a brand new estate, that is mainly private bar 5 houseing association homes!) I had no choice but to go into this a few years back, If I had my way Id have a mortage but again its livin in cornwall that makes it impossiable! I would love to move awya but hubby wants to be with his family!

We dont have to cut back, but then I have never been one to spend on haircuts or make up or clothes!! We are going to a concert end of this month and making a weekend of it, and so on! it can be done!

I dont want to get into a heated debate, but from what I can see a lot of it is dependant on what part of the country you are in!

hey! just wanted to ask is it really that bad !? lol me an OH are suppose to be moving there withing the next 3 years! waiting on promotion and transfer!...would be nice to know whats its reallllly like, all we usually hear are good things! lol x

And in regards to the original post, i think its what you get comfy living on isnt it, and what your quality of living is, some people have every luxury going and eat out maybe 3/4/5 times a month, like to go out, have sky/broadband/phone... mobile contracts, 2/3 cars.... a hefty mortgage new clothes, makeup, haircuts, etc etc(nothing wrong with this btw) and some people are quite happy living with a little less, and would quite easily cope on a lot less, everyone is different i would say 20k is fine, i was brought up in an 60-80K a year household. and now we(oh and me) dont bring in even half as half as much haha! lol and
for me its hard, but we manage, so its defo doable!!!! infact living off of 8k! is doable, if your watching what u spend (and dont have a huge mortgage)
:hug: xx

hey! just wanted to ask is it really that bad !? lol me an OH are suppose to be moving there withing the next 3 years! waiting on promotion and transfer!...would be nice to know whats its reallllly like, all we usually hear are good things! lol x

were abouts you hopin to move to! Also a lot depends on the work you do, if its in the NHS or caring side you have a good chance of work, same as if you work in the hotel business, or teaching, also your own car is a great help!! as it can be quite remote unless you live in one of the bigger towns!

How hard is it to get work: I was turned down for: McDs, Asda, tescos, and so on as I have at mo no qualifications!!
as nearly every potential employer wants loads experiance!

Wage wise, its low dependin what area of work you are in!!

A few years back I know we had the highest water rates in the country, again I think its coz its a tourist area!
theres plenty work in the summer but mainly school leavers get those, but by next year i will be drivin which hopefully will give me more chance of looking futher afeild!!

Its not all bad though, you are surrounded by beaches, gorgeous weather (when it wants to be nice!) beautiful scenery and so on!

were abouts you hopin to move to! Also a lot depends on the work you do, if its in the NHS or caring side you have a good chance of work, same as if you work in the hotel business, or teaching, also your own car is a great help!! as it can be quite remote unless you live in one of the bigger towns!

How hard is it to get work: I was turned down for: McDs, Asda, tescos, and so on as I have at mo no qualifications!!
as nearly every potential employer wants loads experiance!

Wage wise, its low dependin what area of work you are in!!

A few years back I know we had the highest water rates in the country, again I think its coz its a tourist area!
theres plenty work in the summer but mainly school leavers get those, but by next year i will be drivin which hopefully will give me more chance of looking futher afeild!!

Its not all bad though, you are surrounded by beaches, gorgeous weather (when it wants to be nice!) beautiful scenery and so on!

thanks :) thats quite helpful, i used to work in admn, but now im looking for work in care, and yea i can imagine theres a lot of hotel work/ holiday park work in the summer lol. we have a car atm, and im learning to drive atm!

we have been looking quite far down, hayle, camborne, maybe even down towards penzance, maybe not those areas exactly but in that general vacinity
:) haha would love to live in st ives but who wouldnt! lol if i had a spare million pounds=) im down again for a month soon so will be having a look around again with OH :) x

thanks :) thats quite helpful, i used to work in admn, but now im looking for work in care, and yea i can imagine theres a lot of hotel work/ holiday park work in the summer lol. we have a car atm, and im learning to drive atm!

we have been looking quite far down, hayle, camborne, maybe even down towards penzance, maybe not those areas exactly but in that general vacinity
:) haha would love to live in st ives but who wouldnt! lol if i had a spare million pounds=) im down again for a month soon so will be having a look around again with OH :) x

Penzance and those areas are cheap, though would advise against cambourne, not exactly the best rep in cornwall!
Sounds mad but never been st ives! I love the north coast, originally from Bude and would love to go back there but its expensive!

As for care work, there is loads of that round here, its all the old people retireing down here then gettin helpers in! :rofl: I know quite a few who work in either the community or in care homes and its not badly paid either!

Hope you find your perfect home, good luck, its one move you wont regret! xx

PS edit to say your avatar is adorable!! such a gorgeous cheeky grin xx

i would say 20k is a good wage to be on. my df earns between 13-16k a year and we struggle. after rent,bills and food shopping is done we hardly have anything left. all spare cash goes on the girls and anything they need i.e clothes,shoes etc.

i would love it if my partner earned that much as we wouldnt struggle at all then x

p.s star-dust i can see your point of view too hunni we live in a council house (not by choice either) so can see why you had your guard up about it. i know in an ideal world i would prefer to have a mortgage and our own house but in reality with the recession thats not possible at all. x

me an my oh dont even earn that put together :lol:

My hubby is on around 2000 a month, which may seem like a lot but it isn't once bills have been paid etc

Like others have said it totally depends on where you live, and your circumstances, what are you use to living on?

I live just down the road from where Merv's mum wrote about, it is stupidly expensive here, I live in a 2 bed terrace and my rent is just under £350 a week, which works out to be about £18000 a year, so yea depends on your out goings.

So...as the Yorkshire Tourist Board says...... COME TO YORKSHIRE!! IT MAY PISS IT DOWN BUT THE HOUSES AND BEER ARE CHEAP ENOUGH THAT YOU CAN GET A COUPLE OF WHIPPETS TOO AND LIVE LIKE A BLOODY KING!! THA KNOWS!! EY UP!!

lmao..... thats bout rate lass!

Yep it is the premium you pay for living in London.

*mental note t self... stay in yorkshire where a 3 bed semi off t'council is just short o £60 a week, but we dont have a gas supply....*

londons far too expensive... i earn 14-15k a year n it gets us by.... just

Council/housing association is okay here; a three bed flat is around £80 and my parents have a 4 bed housing association and that is £125 a week.

God when I was buying my house it was only 350.00 a month

im £60 a week for a shitty multi storey council flat :lol:

try £700 a month for a 3bed terraced house:lol: cornwall wages are shite too

mine is £600 rent a month for a 3 bedroom terraced house in birmingham.. :|

i recon ur wage is good!! :D

I pay 600 a month for a 2 bed flat and 140 council tax ... so right away thats £740 a month going out without adding bills etc etc on.

Anything under 25K a year we just couldnt survive, id say our total outgoings are round £1100 a month and that not with the babys stuff or food added on.

Well it depends, if your on 20K a year you earn too much to qualifiy for any real help, discounted council tax, rent etc so chances are you'll either have a mortgage or be renting privately etc etc. When you have to do everything full whack 20K doesnt go very far

we get some help an thats included in the 8k!
on 8k a yr we pay full rent, full CT etc !!

he is on a low income coz of being in cornwall, but livin expenses in cornwall are horrendus as its a tourist area!!!
he works as much as he can but there is no work here! Summer season next year when babas 6 mnths ill be lookin for summer work but till then we cope!!

8k a year you'd get housing help and working tax credits - assuming your OH is employed. My income was low after I split with my ex due to hours worked at the time so know abit about the entitlement of help with low income households. No way are you paying full rent unless you haven't bothered applying for assistance.

£495 rent per month with £60 Council tax witch will go up to about £100-£120 once it is classed as 2 Adults living here for a 2bedroom mid Terrace in peterborough, with oh on a wage of 14k per year

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->