Is baby jar food frowned upon?

Maybe it can be a shock bracelet that zaps you if you try and go down there :rofl:

While it shocks you it can also tell you why jars/disposable nappies etc etc are wrong lol

Lol some time it feels like bnb is not real! I see soooo many people buying and using jars :)

I agree. In the real world I feel like I have to justify/defend the fact that I make my own food, breastfeeding, and cloth diaper. I do these things because the work for us. I am not trying to be super mom and I'm nit doing it because I think I'm better than anyone else. If people don't want me to judge them for feeding jars, then don't judge me for not using them! There is definetly too much judging going on when it comes to parenting.

Let people judge away, if you and baby are happy then sod the world and their opinions :)

I think it's hilarious that jar feeding is being compared to giving LO cookies and coke every day.

I feed my son mostly my own purees, except for meat. I do buy some jars once in a while for backup or when it's something that doesn't blend good (like blueberries.) You just have to look at the ingredients. For example I wanted to buy him a jar of blueberry food, and one of them (Heinz I think?) was called "Blueberry dessert" and had sugar in it. So instead I picked an organic one, that was only made of the fruit + water. It's easy to make food for your baby when you only have one kid, but I imagine when you have more than 1 you lack time. Whatever floats your boat really!

My son was pretty much fed jars only till he was 1 he actually hates any fizzy drinks and sweets. My dd was hm blended and is a sugaraholic. I can't win .lol.

My issue with Jars is that they don't taste or have the texture of what they are supposed to. Blend down a pear and compare it to a jar of pear and the jar is bland. Another thing is they are ether full of preservatives or have been cooked at massive temperatures to make them sterile it kills the vitamins off. I also would not feed her something I would not eat myself.

I made homemade stuff in batches and froze. An hours worth of work gave me enough good for 4 weeks by which point she was eating table food.

Lucas has both even now, the 12 months plus ones are essentially just healthy little ready meals (and quite a few I would've happily eaten myself :haha: ). I always get him a little selection of things that I would never really cook at home when I go shopping, it makes my life a little easier sometimes, means that OH and I can have a takeaway ;) and allows my son to try foods that otherwise he might never touch. If anyone wants to get on their high horse about that they can shove it, he's my son to look after - too much judgement goes on I think xx

i agree.. this last week more than ever i have really noticed the agressiveness and the high horsed-ness of some going on... to each their own! every mother i know just wants to be the best they can be and everyones circumstances are different... you bring a good point to the table abt trying things you wudn't normally make :thumbup:

I just find it really sad that we've found all these amazing alternatives to help make parenting easier and give us more options - formula, disposable nappies, jarred baby food, dummies etc. but you can't use any of them without getting backlash from other parents, who in theory should understand how difficult it is and be more understanding! x

Oh my god this exactly!!! It's like god forbid any mother does something the easy way! It's all about doing things the hard way in order to be a good parent this day in age!

I used jars and packets when we first stated TW, but we've evolved towards BLW and givng LO some of what we eat, e.g. veg and meat or veg and fish, etc. As he's gotten older, it's just easier!

Incidentially, he's never had coke or fizzy drinks (we don't actually drink those anyway, except for sparkling water), only formula/milk/water! And he loves rice cakes (baby and mommy's!) and enjoys some sweets, e.g. a little ice-cream, but it all depends on his mood (one day, he will eat banana; the next, no interest), and whilst we try to buy organic, we just offer whatever we eat to him (I cook most nights) and he loves finger foods (we cut up meat, fish, etc, so he can eat himself) and that is pretty easy to do (for me) or a wee bit of pasta with broccoli and some grilled chicken.

Personally, whatever is easiest for you is the best!

best wishes

I was fed food from jars and I'm perfectly fine. I have NO health issues and my mom said I loved everything except peas.. and I still hate peas!

Here is my opinion..

Your baby, YOUR decisions. :)

My issue with Jars is that they don't taste or have the texture of what they are supposed to. Blend down a pear and compare it to a jar of pear and the jar is bland. Another thing is they are ether full of preservatives or have been cooked at massive temperatures to make them sterile it kills the vitamins off. I also would not feed her something I would not eat myself.

I made homemade stuff in batches and froze. An hours worth of work gave me enough good for 4 weeks by which point she was eating table food.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Going to go do some reading about this. We use/d the pouches with my son sometimes, but I'm interested in reading about the differences regarding the vitamin content.

I have sneaked a taste of some jars they are quite nice lol

Yeah, the brand I use is called Only Organic and they are really yummy! I could get by on their Oatie Apple Muesli (with actual big chunks of apple), Chicken Bolognese, Veggie Lasagne and Mango Peach Sunset quite well. :haha:

I only use jars. It's a question of time and convenience as both OH and I work. I do try and cook something up for her from time to time but she doesn't really like my cooking. She does have yoghurt and fruit too as well as the purees.

If you look at the jar labels you will notice that many have no preservatives and they also include the cooking water for the veggies so some there are some vitamins.

Jar foods do work out to be a quite a budget especially as she is now have 3 meals a day but she gets quite a lot of variety and some of them are quite good. Most of the time we can't feed her what we are eating as it's not appropriate or we eat too late.

We feed them to her hot and cold - cold in summer. It makes it easier to take her out and about.

A jar of baby food is just like a ready meal for adults.

I completely disagree, that statement is absurd.

Or a way to make jar feeding mums feel guilty. Way to go!

X

There's always one!!!! nothing at all to back this statement up :dohh:. Celesse i hope it made you feel better in all your parenting choices by your kind choice of words on this matter.

What's so bad about the ready meal statement? I'm confused... surely a jar of baby food is a meal for a baby... That is already ready?

What's so bad about the ready meal statement? I'm confused... surely a jar of baby food is a meal for a baby... That is already ready?

Ready meals for adults are well known to be full of a LOT of salt (in Most cases) and genuine crap like preservatives etc. likening them to baby food is just ridiculous.

I don't know if you have ready meals where you're based mummymana or if they're called something different? Like what you'd stick in a microwave, rather than a meal that is ready like you said (ha that was odd to write!)

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->