Is it OK for LO not to feed overnight for 14 hours?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
Last night, my four-month-old had a feed at 6.45 then fell asleep at 9, didn't want any of her last feed for the day (when we tried at 9/10ish) then didn't wake until 8am. I would usually get her up at 7 but somehow, I slept in.

I realise how lucky I am that she sleeps through and for this long. But am genuinely worried this is too long for her to be without her milk? She's very lively now, screaming with delight and playing and seems fine. But my concern is the length of time without a feed plus sometimes, as a result of refusing a later feed, she only gets 5 bottles of 6oz (180ml).

My OH just thinks she takes after me: sleeps lots and can sometimes go through times where I don't eat loads (trust me, at the moment, it's more sleep less and eat LOADS ;-) He also said as adults, we can go that long without eating so she's just maturing as her tummy gets bigger at 4 months.

I'd appreciate your views (and yes, again, know how lucky I am, not a gloating thread though, am genuinely worried)!

just see what happens today as long as LO eats normal today i would think all was well

i too had good sleepers ..............might settle into a nice pattern for you

I would say it's fine and I would also be dancing with joy!

I think babies just like different amounts of food/sleep just as adults do. Enjoy!

At 4months, she'll tell you when she's hungry. I say enjoy the sleep! Definitely don't wake her!

My youngest went this long without a feed at 4 months and even younger. Not on a daily basis but every now and then. I was also concerned and asked her pediatrician if I should be feeding her inbetween. I was told since she's gaining weight, has lots of energy when she's up and doesn't seem at all in need of a feed sooner then let her be. So I did! At 8 months she rarely goes longer than 12hrs between a feed though! :p I'm thankful she's such an awesome sleeper but don't want to jinx things! With my oldest it wasn't so smooth!

My LO has been sleeping 14 hours without a feed since about 3 months old. Even now, he goes to bed at 6pm and doesn't wake till 8. Last night, he went to bed at 5.50pm and woke at 8.45am this morning. If he was hungry, he would let me know.

ETA: He's on the 91st centile for weight and is about 24lbs now, so it's never done him any harm. He used to feed every 2 hours during the day until he was 6 months old. I think he just made up for it in the daytime.

Mine have gone that long and they're not 4 months now. As long as LO is gaining fine it's not a concern. She would tell you if she needed to eat before that.

Agree with the others, at 4 months she would def let you know if she was hungry. She may be meeting her daily calorie needs just fine, and not need the night feed. every baby is different when it comes to how often they want fed, and when they start sleeping through without feeds.

I don't remember 14 hours at this age, but I definitely remember 12 hours stretches at night (what a blessing!:) - 7 pm to 7 am for us. Still an awesome sleeper. Unlike her brother.

Thanks girls, as always you've put my mind at rest! She's currently trying to roll over as she kung fu kicks her Sophie and Princess doll, ha ha!

I agree with everyone else, if she's happy enjoy the sleep before teething or a regression sets in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->