is it safe to eat mc donalds milk shakes / mc flurrys??

scrummy mummy

Baby number 3 on board x
Reaction score
Hi Ladies, i remember when i was pregnant last time i avoided them is it right we shouldnt eat them? :shrug:

yes but I know some who do but there is a risk of listeria

Nooooo dont do it! Definately listeria as it goes through a machine. No no to mr whippy icecreams. You can never be certain its clean unless you would clean it yourself. Go to the shop and get a ben and jerrys ;) x

I have had them both and have never had any problems.

I asked my midwife this and she said not to due to the risk of listeria, so I'm definitely going to avoid them x

oo i knew there was a reason i avoided them last time - thanks ladies :flower:

Maybe it has to do with what country you are in, here in the States my doc said it was perfectly safe. Maybe b/c ours are pasteurized??

Yeah, I wouldn't either - it's the machines, and around here the maccas employees are all about 14, and I remember my first job I didn't really take the safety standards quite as seriously as one should! same with slurpee machines x

Yeah its about cleaning the machines. They are very fiddly and have lots of moving parts that all need to be cleaned properly every day plus the machine needs to be cleaned and rinsed and cleaned and rinsed again. I used to have one and our health inspector said ours was great, but he used to take random samples from places in his area and test them for bacteria. He said it was awful! The people that we bought our machine from only cleaned it 3 times a week! Gross. There kind of funky regardless, but I wouldn't bother during pregnancy.

I have with both my sons and in this pregnancy...eat lunchmeat at times also and have been ok

Maybe it has to do with what country you are in, here in the States my doc said it was perfectly safe. Maybe b/c ours are pasteurized??

Its not the ice cream itself thats the risk its the machine as they are very hard to clean properly, so many little nooks and crannys where Listeria can fester.

Macdonalds stuff is perfectly safe their machines a re regularly cleaned and sanitiser put through. Did you know the machines they use are on a timer which count down the days until a clean is due and when it becomes dues. Machine will no longer work until it's cleaned? There's no way around it either because the timer is protected by magnets so you literally have to take it apart and clean it to reset the time til the next time

The listeria risk comes from mr whippy machines in small establishments and ice cream vans where cleanliness rules aren't quite as stringent

Yeah, I wouldn't either - it's the machines, and around here the maccas employees are all about 14, and I remember my first job I didn't really take the safety standards quite as seriously as one should! same with slurpee machines x

In mcdonalds only managers are trained to clean shake and ice cream machines so you're quite safe from lackadaisical teenage hands there :)

Its not the ice cream itself thats the risk its the machine as they are very hard to clean properly, so many little nooks and crannys where Listeria can fester.

That is not exactly true. The ice cream has to be pasteurized for it to be safe as well as clean machine. As the other poster noted, the machines are on timers and they have health inspectors. This is something that my doctor noted was a false report, it was more of an issue years ago when the machines were not as advanced as they are now.

Well its still listed as a no no due to known listeria risk during pregnancy on all the latest info so thats enough for me.

I realise the ice cream has to be pasturised but it is so was explaining the risk factor in this case lies in the machine.

Well its still listed as a no no due to known listeria risk during pregnancy on all the latest info so thats enough for me.

I realise the ice cream has to be pasturised but it is so was explaining the risk factor in this case lies in the machine.

Countries play a high roll in what is considered no no and what not. Each country has different standards that the establishments must follow. If your country is not as stringent perhaps they warn against it to ensure no issues for pregnancy.

Every time I come on the first tri board. All I see is mcdonalds.

IM GOING TO GET FAT
If I give into my cravings for salty mcds chips....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->