Is it safe to lie on your front

Laur1221

Reaction score
I'm 18 weeks 4 days and I have woken up in the night on my front with one of my knees bent up to my hips is this dangerous ?

I still lie on my tummy... mw told me unless its uncomfortable its ok :hugs: xxx

ooo good question, ive been meaning to ask this for a while as i love sleeping on my front but do so like you Laur. Happy sleeping :)

It's a strange feeling now that bump is developing feels much harder now lower down it's the most comfortable position I get to sleep in, I'm gonna make the most of being able to lie this way while I still can :)

Try a pillow under your leg, takes the pressure off your tum

I've read that its okay untile you hit a certain point.. but I also read that laying on your back can be bad, as the baby starts to get heavier it will start applying pressure to major viens that supply blood to your heart. Also can hurt your digestion... just somehting for you to think about as baby grows and you can't sleep on your tummy.

if it's bad for you or your baby, your body will let you know, so for as long as you can...sleep well :)

I LOVE sleeping on my front and had an awful time getting comfy when I got big in my last pregnancy as it just wasn't physically possible to sleep on my tum. I decided that I was going to invent a new type of bed/mattress that had a padded hole in it that I could stick my tummy into! Never quite got round to inventing it though! What do you think? Lol, perhaps I should go on dragons den!:dohh:

I LOVE sleeping on my front and had an awful time getting comfy when I got big in my last pregnancy as it just wasn't physically possible to sleep on my tum. I decided that I was going to invent a new type of bed/mattress that had a padded hole in it that I could stick my tummy into! Never quite got round to inventing it though! What do you think? Lol, perhaps I should go on dragons den!:dohh:

Hey if "The Snuggie" went big..I know you could do it! I'd buy it! :thumbup:

Im lying on my sides but waking up with dead arms and hands lol! For relief sometimes I'll pull my leg up to support lying on my front but I don't find I can sleep like that. I feel like I'm swishing my baby on my front :) think it's time for my pregnancy pillow!

I sleep halfway on my stomach with one knee drawn up as far as I can get it and the other leg straight out. It's always been the comfiest position for me other than the fetal position. Now that I'm pregnant though it is harder to do unless I put my bent knee up over my pregnancy pillow. I usually wrap my leg around the pillow and it makes it so much comfier.

Your LO will let you know if you are squishing it so don't worry.

As for lying on your back, it does put pressure on the vena cava which takes oxygen rich blood to the uterus and if too much pressure is applied, can deprive the baby of oxygen and nutrients, so it can be dangerous. It is perfectly fine though if you are elevated at least 30 degrees though and try not to lay in the same position the entire night. The most recommended position is on your left side during pregnancy though because the vena cava is a bit more to the right, but don't worry if you're more comfy on your right side. If you do want to sleep on your back and can't stand being elevated, try putting a pillow under your right hip to tilt you onto your left a bit, this takes the pressure off the vena cava so it is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->