Is she too young for weaning?

tinkabells

Reaction score
Hiya,
Hollie will be 3 month in 2 weeks and at xmas she will be about 4 months, is it ok, to start giving her pureed food and the baby rices from 3 months?
I know my NCT group said you should do it until there 6 months, but my mum and friends have all done it with there kids at 3 months + xxx

I know I'm not a mod but can we PLEASE keep this civil so that tinkabells gets the advice she asked for rather than her thread being turned into an early weaning debate? :flower:

At the very least hon, I'd wait until the 4 month mark as this is the age on most weaning jars etc. The earlier you wean, the more risk there is that their digestive system isn't mature enough to cope which is why the recommendation these days is to wait until 6 months.

If you feel that she's not being satisfied with milk earlier than 6 months despite giving her extra, I'd have a chat with your HV for advice if you think she might be ready for solids. She's your baby and you know best but I wouldn't be tempted to wean her earlier than 6 months if she's not clearly ready for it. There seems to be alot of pressure on people to wean earlier than baby needs and IMO it's only baby's needs that matter, not what other people think or when other people wean their babies.

Good luck with your decision :hugs:

Its so confusing isn't it? Everyone you ask will have different opinions and think different things show they are ready. I am going to play it by ear, the way i see it, i know my baby more than anyone else so when i feel she's ready i'll start. I think if Hollie can hold up her own head thats the first clue. Only my opinion though, mothers instinct is always best xx

Thanks alot, i have no idea on weaning etc, hjust thought would ask, i think she is abit too young, but just didnt no if i could introduce abit every now and again see how she finds it?
But thanks, been a big help xxx

P.S i didnt realise it was a sore subject, im not asking for a big debate, it was just a question

P.S i didnt realise it was a sore subject, im not asking for a big debate, it was just a question

Don't worry hon! :hugs: People can have very strong views on the subject which means threads sometimes get out of control and end up being of no help at all to the person who posted the question in the first place! :dohh:

I'm going 2 start from 4 mths - HV says the 'guidelines' are 6 mths but Olivia not satisfied with her formula + i return to work January so want to be there to wean her instead of nursery doing it! Like others say its your baby & your decision. All jars say 4 mths so would go off that as a minimum hun. Good Luck xxxx

If you do wean 'early' (before 6 months) just be careful with her being able to sit upright as if they can't, it can increase risk of choking x

Just watch for the signs, when milk doesn't seem to be satisfying anymore thats the time. It's one of them you'll know when the times right, she won't be going as long between feeds, be more disturbed at night (and nothing else seems to be bothering) thats the time to start introducing basics.

the health guidelines say before 17 wks is dangerous and the closer to 26wks the better if you need to early wean stick to small amounts to start with xx

I personally would wait until as close to 6mo as possible. If you choose to do it earlier though I would look through this stuff first just so you're aware :)

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Signs to look for that they are ready
https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

Hope that helps you make your decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member