Is there any foster mummy's out there??

Thanks for the update. I hope the home visit went well if you already had it!

Last home visit went well..
I have another home visit today, excited and a little bit nervous ..
This time she is interviewing the children, and seeing how they feel about things.
They are excited to start fostering like me, but proberly are not as excited as me...

Last meeting went well, getting excited about it now, I will be so gutted if we get turned down.
I have started to but a few bits if we do foster.
So far I have brought girls and boys knickers and pants and socks age ranging from birth to 6 year old.
A night light a torch also a plug in night light .
A bed,
some pull up pants some for girls and some for boys.
I did look at buying some night wear bits but to be honest it's all getting a bit expensive, when I don't even know if I will be excepted.

But I don't mind buying some bits ..I'm excited...:happydance:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My wife and I have been ttc for 14 months and have just last week completed our application to become a foster family. We're waiting to hear back from DHHS to see what/when the next steps are. Any idea how long it will take to become licensed? We're signed up for the required classes at the end of January. Would it be too soon to hope for March?

I'm still quite new to this whole situation. It's very exciting and very scary!

Hi everyone. I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My wife and I have been ttc for 14 months and have just last week completed our application to become a foster family. We're waiting to hear back from DHHS to see what/when the next steps are. Any idea how long it will take to become licensed? We're signed up for the required classes at the end of January. Would it be too soon to hope for March?

I'm still quite new to this whole situation. It's very exciting and very scary!

Hi wecome, yes it it excited and scary, are you in the uk, because if you are march is maybe being a bit too hopeful...
I have rearly injoyed training back in July and we go to panel in February.
One piece of advice I can offer you is go to your library and get lots of books out, last week I got out 11 books so I am trying to read them all now, wishing I got them out months ago.
But if you can read a few before training I think it will help you.
What age group are you hoping to foster ?

We live in the states so it will be interesting to see how the processes differ from one another! I don't believe we have to go before a panel over here. We have to do criminal/background checks, a medical release, a fire inspection of the home, a full home study (that's the one that I'm not sure how long it will take), reference checks and the three week training. During our informational meeting we were told they like to have the licensing process completed within 120 days.. but I can only imagine that's a goal number and not necessarily something to quote.

We're planning on fostering babies, preferably under 6 months. We hope to adopt through this process as well, although obviously there's no way of know when that will be. What age range are you interested in?

Oh, and nice to meet you! I've found this forum to be really helpful and supportive over the past year(+) and I was sad to let it go. I'm glad there's a fostering group on here too.

Quite nervous today, in a few days my social worker starts her 1st interview, then another 5 in the next few weeks.
Feeling excited , nervous, scared, then excited again.

But just pleased things are moving in the right direction ...

I can't wait until I can call myself a foster carer.:happydance::happydance:
Xxx

Feeling more excited today, it's nice to think I might be fostering next month.xx :happydance:

Anyone else out there who is close to fostering hopefully ?

We heard back and have our home study scheduled! It's scheduled for this Friday and then again the following Monday. The licensing worker said she was impressed with how quickly we have gotten everything in, and that she would contact the fire marshall to let them know we are motivated. We're thinking our goal to be fully licensed by the end of February might actually become a reality! Woohoo!

Bought a stroller the other day. Feels so surreal.. I can't believe this is all actually happening!

That's good news savasanna hope things go quickly for you and we are both fostering in February/march. :happydance:

I was thinking about buying a buggy, but it is so hard with not knowing which age group I might get a newborn or a three year old needs a different type of buggy.
Which one did you go for ?
Exciting isn't it ?
We have got the foster room finished with furniture in.
I find I am always in the room looking about and thinking about what might be soon.xx
Keep me updated with how things are going.xxx

Oh yea - we struggled with the age range too, but we're a little more selective than it sounds like you are. We're planning on 0-6 months at this time so it was easier to make a selection. The only thing we're really staying away from right now are things that are ONLY for newborns - as they grow out of them quickly and we don't know if we'd be placed with one.

We ended up with a Graco jogger. I'd like to get a smaller, lightweight one as well for crowded spaces - but that's not on the 'essentials' list so that can come later. The stroller we got is a stroller/car seat combo, which is convenient. I think the only big thing we're missing now is a crib.

So now we're in the process of decluttering and finishing up a few house projects that have been procrastinated before Friday. Our house is fine - but of course we're going to make sure it's in tip-top shape! Our worker sounds SUPER nice though so I'm not really too worried.

I have to say - I'm so glad I found you! It's really nice to have a buddy during this process! Have you been telling people? How have the responses been? I think I'm going to start a journal on here to chronical this whole experience.

Yes it's nice to have a buddy to share things with.
I have told a lot of people we are trying to foster, not many seem to surprised, I thought people would say haven't you got enough kids with 6 already but no people have been saying we will be perfect to foster..

Starting a diary is a good idea,it's nice to remember how much time things take.
My friend is having her interview today, it feels strange knowing people are talking about us.. But it feels good to be one more step forwards.

Are you still trying for a birth child as well ?

Because where we live they don't like us to be trying for a baby. But I feel done having my own babies..

My friends meeting went well, just got asked questions like :
what are we like as parents ?
How do we play and talk to our kids ?
How do they think we will manage with another child ?
Etc.....
Only another 5 more interviews to go....:happydance:

Wow! You need to have 6 in person reference interviews? And what do you mean "go to panel" - is that a personal interview for you (and your spouse? - I don't remember if you said you're married) We only needed three references. They each received a 4 page questionnaire in the mail with a bunch of questions about us. I don't know exactly what they were but I believe they were along the same lines as what your friends were asked. I'm really quite curious what Friday's meeting is going to be like. I've heard it's just detailed questions about your past/relationship/family/support structure.

When is your panel scheduled for again? Hurray for 1 reference interview down! Are the other 5 scheduled for soon?

I'm not sure where we stand on trying for a bio kid as well. I know we're going to give it another go, but then when is the question. We both are pretty burnt out from ttc for so long and have wracked up a huge amount of credit card debt from it. For now we're focusing on this foster process and our finances. Maybe we'll go for a try sometime this summer? Maybe not. Interesting that they put restrictions on that if you're an active foster parent. I'll have to ask to see if there are any regulations like that here.

Going to panel means, we have about 10 people who all between them decide if we can foster or not. There is a social worker, foster carers, and all people who are involved somehow with fostering. We go to panel on 26th of February. ( So not long ,hopefully time will fly by.)

And I have just relised I only have another 4 more interviews left as I only needed 5 altogether. And they are set up for the next 2 two weeks.

I had a busy day today, but busy days are something I love.:happydance:

Sorry to hear about your troubles on trying to have a baby, I feel so lucky with my family, as I understand it doesn't always happen for some people.

Anyway better go now, speak soon.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->