Itty Bitty Babies Club (Slow Gainers)

jkb - People often ask if Gabriel was premature as well.

snuggle - Poor Finley. I hope the doctors can figure out what's going on. Gabriel's low weight is due to a combination of being a tiny at birth, followed by dropping percentiles due to low milk supply, and just naturally being a slender baby.

Harry is just short but in no way skinny so I think he's just a bit slower to gain? Got him weighed today & at 15 1/2 months he's now 20lbs 10 oz, so still following between the 9th n 25th. I think it's defo where he's meant to be.

yeah I need F to stick to a curve, any curve. He started on the 97th (he was 10lbs 1 oz ) at birth and is now on the 4th at 13 months.

I thought he had picked the 25th for awhile, after I switched to formula, but he has dropped right down. Ironically around the time I switched from formula to cowsmilk, and bottle to sippy cup. So we reintroduced the bottle tonight and added light cream to his 3% milk. Not sure if it will work . The dr didn't give me any advice re: his calorie intake. He didn't seem that concerned about it. F is at the age where he should be able to compensate a lack fo calories in his meals and not need a milk top up at the end of the day. He just doesn't eat much, meals always end in tears , he hates eating.

Anyways blood work was done and a urine test, we shall see if that tells us anything.

I'd heard you should always use full fat milk for babies. I would never buy anything else anyway because it tastes like water to me. Breastmilk and formula have so much more nutrition in them than cows milk that I don't think I'll switch at one year.

hi every one ella is doing well getting her weighed again this week i hope she was 14lb 10oz last time so we may just make it to 15 lol
snugglebot i hope you get some answers about finley xx

I thought the same as Seity- that they should have full fat everything. With regards to calorie intake, often for slow gainers, so long as they dont have allergioes, they reccommend giving lots of full fat milk, cream cheese on bread, plenty of yogurts & fromage frais, cheese, scrambled eggs, avacado (coz of the good fats in it) plenty of slow release carbs like brown rice & wholewheat pasta, as well as protein from meat & fish.

The one thing I hesitate with overloading the dairy fat, is how the calcium limits the iron intake then :(

Anyways, Finley is liking the 6%/3% combo I hope I am not making a bad decision with that. He slept through the night last night - first time in AGES! :dance:

No tears

He ATE like a champ too! I think the prevacid is working :) He ate a whole fish stick (more like a fish steak with bread) a good helping of peas, and a good portion of scalloped potatoes :)

I never knew dairy inhibited iron uptake? I learn sumfin new everyday!

i knew tea n anything with caffeine in too, but never knew the dairy thing. i know iron needs vitamin c to help absorb it into the body, so i guess i'm not too useless!

Hope you dont mind if I pop in here :flower:

My little girl was born weighing 6lb 7oz and dropped to approx 6lb ish and then took 15 day to get back to her birth weight. At just over 7 weeks she weighed 8lb 5oz and is just below the 9th percentile - which I realise isnt that dinky!

Just thought it might be nice to get a little bit of support because I am getting a bit fed up of people asking me how old she is and then being really shocked when I tell them also some irritating family members who seem to think something must be wrong because she is apparently 'minute' :growlmad:

I am only 5ft 1 and her Dad is 5'11" but really slim so I shouldnt be shocked that I havent produced a big baby but I still get stressed about weigh ins :blush:

Welcome. Ivy sounds like she's just perfect.
Gabriel didn't hit over 8 lbs until nearly 3 months. <- Now that's dinky!

I popped Gabriel on my scale at home this morning and it said 17lbs - Woo! That's with diaper and clothes on, but that means he's over 16lbs. :happydance: He's finally heavier than our chunky cat :rofl:

welcome ivy and seity the heavier than the act comment made me lol x

Hi All,

Sorry I've been off the radar for ages....... too many posts to catch up on now! lol

Unfortunately, Max was diagnosed with a cataract in his right eye last year and had it removed with a new lens inserted. He's doing great now and his sight is improving slowly with daily patching. So been a bit preoccupied with that for a while, but have got into the swing of it all now, so I'm back! lol

Hope you have all been well. Great to see so many people on this thread! xxx

hi everyone

hope everyone and your goreous lo's are doing great.

had callie weighed last week, and she still weighed 13 lb 8, doctor said shes obviously very tiny but perfect and healthy so all is well. she was spot on with everything ( it was her 9 month check) and shes doing eveything shes ment to be! she now says hiya, muma, dada, babbles alot,waves, crawls, stands on furniture or anything she can stand and hold on to, she also walks holding onto things like the furniture etc.

sleeping is still a real big issue, she doesnt seem to be getting better if anything its getting worse :-( she is also still very clingy , always wants to be with someone, crys if shes on floor playing on own for longer than 15 mins, hoping she grows out of it soon,
she still also wont drink out of anything but a bottle so no beakers or anything yet but blw is going great shes eats pretty much anything and eats very well :)
her cloth nappies are causing some problems atm, as shes very skinny and small they are all so big and bulky and not holding up well as we cant ever get a great fit, alway gapes around her legs or are so big and bulky she doesnt like them :-( not sure what to do!

seity glad to see gabriel is doing really well :) and hi ivy's mummy! sounds like ivy is doing really well xxx

x-li-x - Callie is doing very well. Gabriel doesn't say anything (he does babble) and doesn't clap yet and only sort of waves sometimes. It sounds like you've hit the 9 month sleep regression. All these big mental developments take a toll on their sleep. G has a skinny butt too, but we use disposable. Good thing about that is the smaller sizes are cheaper (more diapers per box), so it saves us a little in the long run.

lyre - Poor Max. Glad to hear he's improving.

my husband thinks it a good idea to give up cloth for a while and ome back to it if she ever bulks up a little as she does seem to get fustrated sometimes in the cloth cus of the bulkiness , im just a little sad about it.
callie would be in small sizes also, we bought size 3 nappies for our trip away the other week and they were too big and hubby ended up going out and getting size 2's.

i really hope its the sleep regression, shes never been a great sleeper but at one point did get better still woke several times but nowhere near as much but now we are but to 6-10 times a night and for some reason my 2 yr old has started waking when she crys, normally he would sleep through it so now im dealing with 2 up at once and my poor hubby trys to help but they both want me and its driving us mad, so hoping it ends soon.

x

hi all, I posted on here a few days ago.... well the HV has been to see us today and Em weights 8lb 9oz at 12 weeks, she is underneath all the lines and so the V is referring to the pediatrician at the hospital to check there is nothing wrong with her :-(

she is eating exactly the right amount required for a baby her size and i dont see anything wrong with her she is very alert and meeting all the developmental milestones (laughing, smiling, and currently chewing her hand off!!)

has anyone one here been referred like this for baby's weight? what happens - what do they say?? do? what COULD (if anything) be the matter??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->