• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Itty Bitty Babies Club (Slow Gainers)

is there room for another? Seity kindly told me about this link :flower: My LO was born 6lb 5oz and i was 5 days over due! he was born on the 9th centile and he dropped under the scales :wacko: i was BF :cry: so that made me feel like crap. So started combi feeding and he is now in between the 2nd and 0.4 :shrug: he is perfect in every way but i just cant stop worrying :nope: any way thanks for listening (if you are and im not talking to myself :haha:) just good to write it down x

Hi, i'd like to join too! My little one is 16 weeks and just over 10lbs. He was born at 6lb15 and dropped to just 6lbs after 10 days. He stayed at that for a few weeks before slowly starting to gain. He's currently just about following the 0.4th centile line (has dropped below it a few times recently).

welcome to the newbies; hope you're all ok.

well, harry turned 18 months old today, so i figured I should go get him weighed.... and guess what?!!! My little porker is now 22 lbs 1 oz!!!!! I was so shocked; that's pretty much the best gain he's ever had, lol, so he is now about 1mm below the 25th centile line on the charts!!!! He has been eating like crazy the past couple of weeks, but has also dropped a BF during the day, but started to wake up once every night about 5am, so i was pretty sure he was having a growth spurt & looks like i was right :happydance: I'm so pleased for him that he is now in a range that people see as 'normal' instead of 'small.' :flower:

anyways. How's everyone else doing these days?

welcome to the newbies; hope you're all ok.

well, harry turned 18 months old today, so i figured I should go get him weighed.... and guess what?!!! My little porker is now 22 lbs 1 oz!!!!! I was so shocked; that's pretty much the best gain he's ever had, lol, so he is now about 1mm below the 25th centile line on the charts!!!! He has been eating like crazy the past couple of weeks, but has also dropped a BF during the day, but started to wake up once every night about 5am, so i was pretty sure he was having a growth spurt & looks like i was right :happydance: I'm so pleased for him that he is now in a range that people see as 'normal' instead of 'small.' :flower:

anyways. How's everyone else doing these days?

just quickly as Lo wants me but just wanted to say Yippee!:happydance: Well done to harry! fab news and very encouraging news for us too! was Harry very small to start with? thanks for the welcome x

hiya and welcome newbies!!

Em is now 11lb at 5 1/2 months, still just under the 0.4th but im not bothered anymore - only when i get comments like "she looks wierd because its like shes 2 months old but yet shes sitting up & eating solids" - thank-you!!

ahhhh if i hear one more "shes so tiny"

i think we should start celebrating the good things about having an itty bitty baby, heres some things which come to mind.

They develop earlier - holding head up, rolling, sitting up, crawling, because they are light
They dont give us backache!
Their clothes last longer
Everyone says they are sooo cute
you can use moses basket/baby bath/car seat/pram/carrier for longer

ermmmm anyone have any more??

Can I join too ??

Jess was 4 weeks early and was 4lbs 12oz, she is now 7 months and weighs 11lbs. Im finding her weight gain a real stress on me and my h (mainly me !) she is sooooo fussy with her milk since the day that she was born and have tried everything teats, position, length in between feeds, bottles/beaker, changed milk, started weaning .............. she drinks half of what she should and turns her head away, tries to sit up , pushes the bottle away, doctor said its not reflux and no one has a reason (only jess but she can't speak , damn it lol !) she will drink 8oz in the morning the rest of the day is hit and miss from 2-4oz a feed. I feel awful that she still weighs the size of a newborn/month old baby - i know that she is going to be behind for a while anyway because of her birth weight but its really hard, I feel that when people ask her age that they are judging me that im not feeding her. I was BLW but she needs extra in her so im pureeing too, its going ok and she is starting to swallow I think but not enough to make up for the loss of milk

has anyone had this, found a resolution, can help ??? I know I bleet on about it on this site but am so worried / stressed - im herself she is happy and looks healthy, she is nearly rolling and is very independant, has 2 bottom teath coming through (dont think this is the problem as she has always been like it)

Can I join too ??

Jess was 4 weeks early and was 4lbs 12oz, she is now 7 months and weighs 11lbs. Im finding her weight gain a real stress on me and my h (mainly me !) she is sooooo fussy with her milk since the day that she was born and have tried everything teats, position, length in between feeds, bottles/beaker, changed milk, started weaning .............. she drinks half of what she should and turns her head away, tries to sit up , pushes the bottle away, doctor said its not reflux and no one has a reason (only jess but she can't speak , damn it lol !) she will drink 8oz in the morning the rest of the day is hit and miss from 2-4oz a feed. I feel awful that she still weighs the size of a newborn/month old baby - i know that she is going to be behind for a while anyway because of her birth weight but its really hard, I feel that when people ask her age that they are judging me that im not feeding her. I was BLW but she needs extra in her so im pureeing too, its going ok and she is starting to swallow I think but not enough to make up for the loss of milk

has anyone had this, found a resolution, can help ??? I know I bleet on about it on this site but am so worried / stressed - im herself she is happy and looks healthy, she is nearly rolling and is very independant, has 2 bottom teath coming through (dont think this is the problem as she has always been like it)

Hi :flower: I can so relate to you being worried but your Lo is smaller cause she was born earlier right? Not saying you shouldn't worry as i think this motherhood lark is all worry :wacko: but my LO was born late and he is still small :wacko:??? both me and Oh are medium to small built but Lo at one point was off the scales :wacko:
Im about to start Blw in couple of weeks and i read you are giving pureed food too? im not up on totally how it works yet but i thought the point of blw is they just eat how much they needed? excuse my ignorance if wrong :blush:
Im so with you about people commenting on how small LO is :growlmad: i just think they are rude! but then i think am i being oversensitive? but then i think,but i would never comment on if i saw a big baby "oh what a bIG baby" iukwim :shrug: so on goes this conversation in my head :haha:
Iv got no solution cause im really in the same boat!!! xxx

Cissyhope - yeah I know she was small but the weight gain has been really slow, only a few oz every few weeks then she lost weight and she hasn't put any on for 2 weeks, she is drinking approx 3oz every 4hours apart from the 1st feed when she has a full bottle

re blw yes you are right - no purée, I've been doing it since 5 1/2 months and she's not swallowing anything, because of her weight and the difficult time with the milk I want to know she is eating something to make up for it, she seems to take to the purée a bit so she has purée as well as bread, cheese sticks, fruit, veg ect

Mrs doddy _ ah i get what you mean,i guess you just want to make sure they are having something :shrug: Iv got that joy to come,im a bit nervous of it all! xxx

The first year is the hardest because its hard to know if the percentile line will stablize and whether or not the dips and blips along the way will average out or become something to worry about.

My son dipped alot, but after almost 1.5 years looking at his growth chart as a complete picture, it is clear that those early 6-7 months, were just him adjusting from his insane birthweight (10lbs 1oz :shock:) to his true body weight on the 15th percentile. It was a stressful journey and he did drop quite a bit further down at points, but always rebounded.

I hope your little ones hang onto whatever curve their bodies are made to be on. Not every baby can be on the 50th. As long as in general they follow the same curve, they are fine and healthy and remember over time they are simply adjusting themselves. BF babies are more likely to do this adjustment than formula but that said, when we switched to formula at 8 months, while he jumped way up, he came down again. his body just wants to stay put.

Hope your little ones stay healthy.

hiya Mrs doddy - i too totally relate,Em is vvv fussy with her feeds (milk and solids) - she was on gaviscon for reflux, and she still projectiles occasionally but im not convinced shes still got it/ever had it.

She is a proper snack feeder, she will moan for food, then only take 2oz, it will then take me another hour to get another 2oz down her. Now i am attempting to fit in 5 milk feeds and 3 solids (only doing purees not doing BLW). Its a real nightmare as shes not hungry for either really!!!

Cissyhope- harry was 6 lbs 9 oz at birth, but lost more than 10% of his birth weight & took 22 days to gain it back. He dropped from the 9th centile to the 0.4th 7 stayed there for a while. By 6 months he made it back up to the 2nd & by 10 months was back up to the 9th centile line, then ever since has hovered between the 9th & 25th lines.... but he has always been in proportion & never looked 'skinny' (aside from his first few weeks) but mainly now at 18 months, he's just short- like a long body, but super short legs & a big head for his narrow shoulders!!!! Developmentally he's always been spot on, so Drs have always been fine with him..., HVs have been a pain in the butt though, expressing conern at every weight in, telling me to switch to formula (when we did supplementing, it only helped him gain about an extra 1-3oz a month, so we decided it wasn't worth it personally for us, and gave him terrible trapped wind coz he's always been pretty useless with bottles, lol)..... But i guess he's evened out now & eats solids like a horse!!!! We also found out last week that he has an upper lip tie, which is why his latch was so shallow when he was little & why is till had sore nipples until he was about 5 months old :dohh: It has stretched a little, but we wont know if it's an issue until he starts speaking properly (at about age 3) & if it's still too tight for him to make some of the speech sounds, then he'll have to have it snipped.... just annoys me that we didnt know this wehn he was first born, so we could've maybe done something? I can't help but think his shallow latch meant he wasn't getting quite enough milk in the early days (regardless of whether he was BF or bottle fed) which contributed to his slow gaining? Ah well, hindsight is a wonderdful thing!

I often wander why it isnt a routine check for tongue ties before you leave the hospital - like a proper thorough check. My LO has a tongue tie, it was actually me and her Dad that noticed it and flagged it up - then the doctors/midwives got all interested!

I have no idea how her tongue tie will affect her when she is bigger - at the moment it gives her a weird forked tongue when she tried to poke her tongue out!

they checked him for tongue tie a couple of times, but luckily he doesn't have one; harry's is an upper lip (upper frenellum? i cant spell, lol) tie, which means his lip is tied to his gums just above where his 2 front teeth start, which is also why he has a gap between his 2 front teeth. His isn't so severe that it goes between the actual teeth or under into the palate, but does mean it is tight & he can't curl his upper lip up like a 'normal' person can, meaning in the early days it was very hard for him to get his upper lip in the right position for latching on correctly.... Luckily his bottom lip is fine... we also found out he has a high palate, which also can make getting a good latch difficult & contributed to his 'clicking' when he was a couple of months old. Again, not so severe that it's an issue (like bubble palates are), but still something I wish I'd known last year!

Just had Niamh weighed and shes 13lb13 at 21 weeks

Had Macy weighed yesterday too and she's 12lb10 at 23weeks. She's back up to the 4th centile which is where she was when she was born!!

Still doing pretty crap with milk, usually 4ounces every 4hours and hopefully 7 at bedtime but usually not. Still having bad reflux days when she hardly feeds at all but 99% of the time she's fine. Doing fantastic with solids, 3 meals, 2 puddings and a snack and has started sleeping through the night since I did this!!!

Not sure what else I can do - it's not like I can force her to eat xx

well My LO has got croup :-( very scary but he is alot better now but is off his food even more than usuall :dohh:

Stardust thats fab that Macy is doing well with solids :thumbup: its soooooooooooo blumming hard int it,like you say,you cant force them to eat :shrug: x

hope every one is ok x

Hi everybody!

I'm so glad I found this thread.

My daughter Connie is now 13 weeks old. We got her weighed at 12 weeks and she weighed 9lb 12 oz - I was over the moon!

She weighed 5lb 15oz at birth and for the first few weeks we had an awful time. I breast feed her and I had a real struggle with it, was terrified I was starving her because she was so small and was gaining so little.

The last few weeks have seen a real change though and she is gaining around 1lb every two weeks. I can see a huge change in her every day although it does upset me when people comment on how small she is. If they had seen her when she was born they would think differently!

I have finally started to relax now and realise that she is just a dainty little girl. She has skinny little arms and legs but she is quite long and her face and tummy are starting to get quite plump now!

We started off off the chart and are starting to creep up towards the 2nd centile :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->