• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Itty Bitty Babies Club (Slow Gainers)

Hi Tanikit. As mentioned, weight is only one part of the whole picture and as long as your baby is happy and thriving in all other areas, there's no cause for concern. Gabriel was born tiny and then dropped off the charts, but while he was meeting his milestones his height and head circumference were also starting to drop. In my case it was failure to thrive due to low milk supply and I had to combo feed. However, even with the combo feeding, while his height and HC jumped back up, he remained at the bottom of the weight chart. So, he was naturally always going to be a light weight.
I think a lot of baby's weights adjust to their natural percentile line in the early days and then follow along that 'new' line from then on.

hi ladies sorry i have been awol struggling to balance being back at work with James' medical needs and chores :(! Dont know where im upto with telling yo about James really...he has kidneys reflux and damage to his kidneys...has had a Naso Gastric tube to feed him throught the night which is out at the moment as he gained 16oz in 2 weeks at his last weigh in now weighs 15lb 4oz!! :o) got to take him back tomorrow to be weighed again without the tube!! :) x

Awww sorry your LO is poorly but fab that he's putting on weight! :happydance:

I took Evie to be weighed on Friday and she's managed to put on 3oz in the last two weeks which is her best gain since 9 weeks old - hurrah! Fingers crossed she keeps it up!

thanks hun although he had gone down to 14lb 8oz so we now have the tube back :( x

Aww the poor little sausage - hope he puts his weight back on and can have the tube out again soon :hugs:

Oh hello!! A place for slow gainers!!! My baby Arran was born on 25 Nov, he's now 7 months and last week weighed 13lb 14oz. He was born on 75% and is now hovering around the 2nd.

He's not particularly inertested in food, he likes toast and biscuits but won't entertain fruit or veg or purees. He doesn't like bottles either. I'm at a loss as to what to give him to try and get some weight on!!

Avocado is packed with calories. Since Niamh is only having 2 bottles a day i make sure one of her deserts is a milk based one like custard or rice pudding and that helps keep her weight up.

Oh hello!! A place for slow gainers!!! My baby Arran was born on 25 Nov, he's now 7 months and last week weighed 13lb 14oz. He was born on 75% and is now hovering around the 2nd.

He's not particularly inertested in food, he likes toast and biscuits but won't entertain fruit or veg or purees. He doesn't like bottles either. I'm at a loss as to what to give him to try and get some weight on!!

Ivy likes cream cheese smeared on anything - do you think he would go for that on toast???

Gabriel loves peanut butter, but only directly off the spoon. :haha: Good fats and protein.

lilbumpblue - Sorry to hear about your LO's kidney's and the need for the tube, but at least you've got something that's working to help him put on some weight.

Well despite hardly eating anything my itty bitty baby managed to pack on 12.5oz this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's now 14lb 10.5oz, I'm stunned, amazed and delighted!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

I totally forgot about this thread!

Last time i got Harrison weighed he was 18 at a year! :happydance:
Halfed his ranitidine and gaviscon. Slowly we are getting there :D

Got Jess weighed today and she is 10 months in a few days and is 12 lbs 14 now - I've spent the last 10 months worrying about her weight and gp's and the hv's have said she is fine as long as she follows her line in the red book - which she is, today I see a different hv ( the one I'm assigned to and dont like) and she said that I should be speaking to the paediatrician about it, ffs. Am I supposed to be worried about it or not- she has chubb on her face/arms and legs so she is not skin and bone

bathbabe - That's great! Harrison weighs almost as much as Gabriel :haha:

Mrs Doddy - If she's following her line you can ignore that other HV, she clearly doesn't know what she's talking about.

Gabriel is such a light weight that someone new coming in (esp if they only look at his weight) would be concerned, but as soon as you look at him (all of him) you quickly realize that there's nothing to be concerned about and he's following his line, it just happens to be below the 1st percentile. He's hitting all his milestones on time and many others early.

Got Jess weighed today and she is 10 months in a few days and is 12 lbs 14 now - I've spent the last 10 months worrying about her weight and gp's and the hv's have said she is fine as long as she follows her line in the red book - which she is, today I see a different hv ( the one I'm assigned to and dont like) and she said that I should be speaking to the paediatrician about it, ffs. Am I supposed to be worried about it or not- she has chubb on her face/arms and legs so she is not skin and bone

I know its easier said than done but I'd say don't worry about it. As long as you're happy that she's doing okay then stuff em! Docs have said she's okay so don't worry about the annoying hv!

Niamh has only put an oz on in a month :dohh: I dont get it, she eats 3 big meals a day, 2 deserts a day, snacks and 2 8oz bottles

I get Kayleigh weighed Thursday along with her 12 month vaccines.. (she will be 20 months) I am excited as I think she must at least be 22-23lbs by now!

Let us now how it goes!
Gabriel has his 18 month appointment on Sept 8th. I think he's about 19.5lbs right now.

Its so hard to try and explain to people sometimes, they ask how old she is and when I say 19 months, they look dumbfounded! Maybe because she is so short too... all my friends children around her age are double her size!

It's been odd because he's not all that tall either (maybe 15-20th percentile for height), but I think because he looks and behaves older than his age that lately people have started thinking he's older. It's such a weird mental flip from everyone thinking he was much younger than his age. People seem to think he's closer to 2 years old.
https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/6015128836_7af35b0d6b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->