IVF/ICSI/FET Cycle Starting November... Anyone else? - 4 BFN, 6 BFP, 1 angel!

hmmmmm i just got a bit freaked out by them picking one sperm.
with IVF they put around 200,000 sperm with each egg.
with ICSI there is one sperm injected into one eggs.
For some, not me, they are put off by the fact there is no "natural selection". Am not against it at all and statistically the chances of a healthy baby are same as IVF - i think ? but i do sort of thing - What if they choose a crappy sperm > do you know what i mean ?
at least with IVF you know the stongest sperm got into the egg ??
anyway i best get used to the idea as looks like it will be ICSI for us...

ps - yeah i think your right the embryo transfer will be like IUI - eek dont like the sound of the full bladder bit !

x

For some, not me, they are put off by the fact there is no "natural selection". Am not against it at all and statistically the chances of a healthy baby are same as IVF - i think ? but i do sort of thing - What if they choose a crappy sperm > do you know what i mean ?

ps - yeah i think your right the embryo transfer will be like IUI - eek dont like the sound of the full bladder bit !

x

Yeah I see what you mean. . . .
But the sperm's weakness is bypassed because the weakness isn't needed if that makes sense? lol
The anti bodies cause problems with swimming and penetrating which ICSI does for it.

Having said that, that is probably the reason why children born from IVF are sometimes slower at developing than a natural baby? :shrug:

:flower: x x x x

EEK!! Who said IVF was better than ICSI :wacko: :(

Well... I dunno... No one official. But, I've read many people saying they weren't keen on ICSI and that they thought IVF was "better"... Of course, I thought the opposite. I thought that picking the sperm would be more logical than hoping the best one made it in. I don't even know what thread I read it on. Don't freak out.. I promise it wasn't a doctor or a study or anything. And, I put "better" in quotes like that because I don't so much believe it. I was just wondering why anyone would think/say that. No worries! I personally think the ICSI sounds like a more fool proof plan!

x

I do get what you mean, but I trust that they don't pick crappy sperm. I have more concern that some crappy sperm will get put at the front of the line in the race with IVF and have a leg up on a good one in the back. So, what if a crappy one gets there first based solely on location in the line-up? I dunno! That's probably silly! LOL I just want it all to be perfect. I'm off to look up statistical differences between IVF and ICSI... I'll put an end to our speculation!

x

But the sperm's weakness is bypassed because the weakness isn't needed if that makes sense? lol
The anti bodies cause problems with swimming and penetrating which ICSI does for it.

Having said that, that is probably the reason why children born from IVF are sometimes slower at developing than a natural baby? :shrug:

IVF babies have been shown to often be smarter! I don't know if that's because of the parents who are able to do IVF versus the parents who happen to conceive naturally? But, there is some evidence to suggest it. Maybe its because they pick the best and strongest embryos when they transfer? Who knows! I like the sound of it though!

Okay! This should help! No big difference! ICSI comes with a 2% chance of damaging the egg during fertilization, but IVF comes with a chance of total fertilization failure! So, both have risks... but they're the same success rate in the end!

Article is here: https://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/ivf-versus-icsi-which-is-better/1138450

so true ladies - they both have advantages either way.
And your right if we were all making babies "the natural way" then i bet there are still lots of storng sperm that get pipped to the post. !
i literally cant wait till i find out how many eggs i produce
is there a norm ?
i want there to be loads !! hehe - do you think it could be as much as 20 ??
the more there are the easier it will be for them to do 50/50 IVF/ICSI for me
oh bloody hurry up Dec 13 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay! This should help! No big difference! ICSI comes with a 2% chance of damaging the egg during fertilization, but IVF comes with a chance of total fertilization failure! So, both have risks... but they're the same success rate in the end!

Article is here: https://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/ivf-versus-icsi-which-is-better/1138450

nice one !
thanks

x

Great news Scomar that you've started IVF. I'm having to wait until January, stupid NHS!

My OH has sperm antibodies too, so it will be nice to see how you get on. FX'd for your :bfp:

Today I'm on a serious downer, I thought I was going to be having IVF, like now, and I jsut got super upset at work today and after lunch I just didn't go back. I didn't want to be a snivalling idot at work. Anyway booking holiday inbetween christmas and new year :happydance:

Great news Scomar that you've started IVF. I'm having to wait until January, stupid NHS!

My OH has sperm antibodies too, so it will be nice to see how you get on. FX'd for your :bfp:

Today I'm on a serious downer, I thought I was going to be having IVF, like now, and I jsut got super upset at work today and after lunch I just didn't go back. I didn't want to be a snivalling idot at work. Anyway booking holiday inbetween christmas and new year :happydance:

oh i hate getting tearful at work too. esp when someone asks if i'm okay and i just go into floods then !!
i was on the phone to a client the other day and he was a total arse face twit and i just wanted to scream at him, cry then put the phone down !
where are you going on holiday ?!?!
are you doing NHS IVF? i thought you were waiting for private?
xx

so true ladies - they both have advantages either way.
And your right if we were all making babies "the natural way" then i bet there are still lots of storng sperm that get pipped to the post. !
i literally cant wait till i find out how many eggs i produce
is there a norm ?
i want there to be loads !! hehe - do you think it could be as much as 20 ??
the more there are the easier it will be for them to do 50/50 IVF/ICSI for me
oh bloody hurry up Dec 13 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 wouldn't be best case scenario. Apparently 12 is a very good number. They only want your E2 to get so high, and the more eggs you have will lower the quality of each one. 12 is good for quality and quantity. 20 is really just too many.

oh i hate getting tearful at work too. esp when someone asks if i'm okay and i just go into floods then !!
i was on the phone to a client the other day and he was a total arse face twit and i just wanted to scream at him, cry then put the phone down !
where are you going on holiday ?!?!
are you doing NHS IVF? i thought you were waiting for private?
xx

Ugh, I got upset as my boss said I couldn't go to a meeting, he needed me. Silly really but I got upset and could have told him what for! Its weird, one day I'm all happy, my normal self and the next day I'm just a wreck, it's really weird, I hate it.

Yeh, private funding but the clinic is the local NHS hospital. I cried when I came out of our blood analysis appt as I was so disappoined when she said it would be 3/4 weeks before we get the results and as they close down at Christmas, it would be New Year before we start IVF. I spent the rest of that afternoon in bed.

Holiday - we're hoping to get a house up at Ullapool in Scotland. We were in that area in March and really enjoyed it. Taking our two pups too with us!

:hugs:

I'm using Lupron from down regging instead of the Suprecur/Buserelin. I'm on 10U for 5 days and then drop down to 5U until a few days before the trigger shot. My stim drugs are Follistim (same as Gonal F but with a different pen) and Menopur. I do 2 days of 225U of Follistim and then drop down to 150U and add 0.5 vial of Menopur. When I did the IUI, I was on 50U of Follistim and had 6 mature eggs! So, I'm a bit :shock: at my dose. I mean... That's a huge difference... and I was producing 6 on a low dose. I'm so scared of OHSS.

As far as being concerned about embryo transfer, I don't think it will feel much different than the IUI did... except you have to have a completely full bladder from what I've been told.

I have a question... Why is IVF "better" than ICSI? I thought ICSI would be the "better" choice for success. I don't get it, apparently! So, someone enlighten me?

EDIT: Neither is better than the other. Whoever said that was basing the statement totally off of her own opinion with no medical relevance. My apologies! :flower:

It was me!!! LOL!

So this is what my fs said to me for my last cycle - and I did some research on the net (I know not always the best source). SO I guess it was my opinion - based on medical relevance! (other fs's may have other opinions)

She said that icsi is obviously better success rates when infertility due to sperm issues or fertilization issues.

BUT, she said that with ivf the sperm and egg naturally meet - which leads to natural selection of the "best" sperm will meet with the egg. Obviously technology is greatly advanced and they are able to select a "good" sperm when doing icsi - but cannot match natural selection 100%.

So her recommendations for me was to do half ivf and half icsi and then they would use the ivf embryos if they had the choice.

That being said none of mine fertilized with ivf due to my OHSS and only 3 of my icsi fertilized again due to my OHSS - so I fully advise people to do at least half icsi just in case(fertilization). I am having all icsi this cycle because I seemed to have a severe fertilization issue (which may have only been due to OHSS).

She said that there was no statistical difference in all conditions etc except for 2 particular ones in which the chances are very slim (0.2 - or less). I can find out the names - it is in my notes somewhere if you want - but not to worry. The pregnancy is no different than natural conception in children developing issues.

:dust: best wishes.

I'm using Lupron from down regging instead of the Suprecur/Buserelin. I'm on 10U for 5 days and then drop down to 5U until a few days before the trigger shot. My stim drugs are Follistim (same as Gonal F but with a different pen) and Menopur. I do 2 days of 225U of Follistim and then drop down to 150U and add 0.5 vial of Menopur. When I did the IUI, I was on 50U of Follistim and had 6 mature eggs! So, I'm a bit :shock: at my dose. I mean... That's a huge difference... and I was producing 6 on a low dose. I'm so scared of OHSS.

As far as being concerned about embryo transfer, I don't think it will feel much different than the IUI did... except you have to have a completely full bladder from what I've been told.

I have a question... Why is IVF "better" than ICSI? I thought ICSI would be the "better" choice for success. I don't get it, apparently! So, someone enlighten me?

EDIT: Neither is better than the other. Whoever said that was basing the statement totally off of her own opinion with no medical relevance. My apologies! :flower:

It was me!!! LOL!

So this is what my fs said to me for my last cycle - and I did some research on the net (I know not always the best source). SO I guess it was my opinion - based on medical relevance! (other fs's may have other opinions)

She said that icsi is obviously better success rates when infertility due to sperm issues or fertilization issues.

BUT, she said that with ivf the sperm and egg naturally meet - which leads to natural selection of the "best" sperm will meet with the egg. Obviously technology is greatly advanced and they are able to select a "good" sperm when doing icsi - but cannot match natural selection 100%.

So her recommendations for me was to do half ivf and half icsi and then they would use the ivf embryos if they had the choice.

That being said none of mine fertilized with ivf due to my OHSS and only 3 of my icsi fertilized again due to my OHSS - so I fully advise people to do at least half icsi just in case(fertilization). I am having all icsi this cycle because I seemed to have a severe fertilization issue (which may have only been due to OHSS).

She said that there was no statistical difference in all conditions etc except for 2 particular ones in which the chances are very slim (0.2 - or less). I can find out the names - it is in my notes somewhere if you want - but not to worry. The pregnancy is no different than natural conception in children developing issues.

:dust: best wishes.

I'm SO sorry! I hope I didn't offend you. I felt so bad that I'd freaked people out by saying that someone had called IVF better that I sort of back tracked very quickly! :flower: What you're saying makes total sense... Both have pros and cons. Again, I'm SO sorry! I'll actually change the post to reflect what you've just said! Hoping you can forgive me? :shy:

No worries - I am sorry that the way I said it might have freaked people out. I should have explained my understanding/thinking. I didn't think before I wrote lol.

You are exactly right - both have their place and are important and successful. xo

No worries - I am sorry that the way I said it might have freaked people out. I should have explained my understanding/thinking. I didn't think before I wrote lol.

You are exactly right - both have their place and are important and successful. xo

Thank you! I get what you meant by it now. I guess I didn't investigate the whole picture either and just zoned in on the word "better" and ran with it. Its not like me to not investigate. Ah well... Its all updated with proper info now. Thanks for the clarification!

Hi Everyone

Had my appointment after down reg for aprox three weeks. Started taking the tablets to thicking the lining of womb this wil be for about 12 days. Having a FET cycle as I had OHSS previously. I think transfer will be the week of 22nd Nov. I only have four FET at blast but not great quality keep worrying that none will thaw. Agree with everyone else this will either be the most sober christmas I have ever had or the drunkest.

Tory xx

Tory if it helps you any - I had 3 day 3 embryos (1 good, 1 average, 1 poor) and suprisingly they all survived the thaw.

Sending you tons of :dust:

hey ladies - ha i dont care which works best as long as i get preggers - okay, now here is a big question, if you have the choice..........
will you go for 1 embryo or 2 ?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->