IVF/ICSI in March...need support!

brooke22

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...I haven't used this site a whole lot, but I have read some of the threads and think it might be helpful for support as I'm going through this time in life.
My hubby and I have been TTC for about 1 1/2 years and have been going to the FS for about 7 months. Our main problem is very low sperm count, with low motility as well. I had 1 off FSH level, but secondary tests came back normal and all other tests of mine have come back normal, so I should be good to go. We tried 2 IUI cycles and both were unsuccessful, the sperm count for the first was 2 million, after 2 spin cycles and 1.1 million for the second, combining both a fresh and a frozen sample. So...yeah, really bad numbers. FS said it was not worth trying IUI anymore and highly reccommended moving to IVF. We started the cycle at the end of January with BC and I started Lupron, 10 units, on February 10th. I started my stims, Gonal F and Menopur, on February 24th. We are looking at EC on around March 7th.
Reality is starting to hit and I am starting to freak out just a bit so I would love some support from other women who are going through the same thing. My hubby and I have a bit of a different situation because we are limiting how many eggs we fertilize and freezing the remaining eggs as part of a study, and due to religious reasons. We don't want to have to freeze embryos if we don't have to.
We only plan on trying this once due to cost and we feel like if it doesn't work the first time, it probably isn't meant to be...so I am so nervous and scared!
Is anyone else on a similar cycle?

H i brooke
Im roughly the same times as you - my collection date is currently set for the 9th. In fact the whole assisted thing is new to me - very confusing and sooo scary! I hate needles and panic in the hour leading up to injection time but my husband is my rock - always calm and in control!

Perhaps we can help get each other through and hopefully both have good news at the end. I also believe if its meant for me it will happen and nothing i can do will change it!

Hi Ladies,

I'm just behind you. On my third week of d-regging now. My EC date if scheduled for 17th March is all goes well til then.

I'm male factor too - DH has low counts at 1million/ml. All my blood tests came back normal, so hopefully the conditions are right in my tummy for those embies to nestle in once they go back.

Like you, I'm really scared of needles too, and find the wait while DH loads up the needle and putting it to my leg very stressful. What I've started doing in the past few nights is for DH to load up while I'm not there, and for me to inject myself. As I'm doing something and having to watch while the plunger goes down, I find it takes my mind off the stinging.

Good luck to you both! :flower:

Hi Ladies,

I'm just behind you. On my third week of d-regging now. My EC date if scheduled for 17th March is all goes well til then.

I'm male factor too - DH has low counts at 1million/ml. All my blood tests came back normal, so hopefully the conditions are right in my tummy for those embies to nestle in once they go back.

Like you, I'm really scared of needles too, and find the wait while DH loads up the needle and putting it to my leg very stressful. What I've started doing in the past few nights is for DH to load up while I'm not there, and for me to inject myself. As I'm doing something and having to watch while the plunger goes down, I find it takes my mind off the stinging.

Good luck to you both! :flower:

Cool - looks like we got a wee club going on here! Good luck to you too.

I havent tried injecting the leg yet - always stomach but i tense up and think that makes it worse. I have bruises all over now so might give it a go next time!

Ahhh...it's so nice to hear from people who are going through the same thing as me.
I haven't loved the shots..but haven't freaked out too much. I don't think I could let my DH give them to me....it would make me too nervous, I prefer to do it myself cause then I know if I'm hurting myself or not. I have only done them in my belly, but I've figured out the right spot for the most part so I don't bruise...just a ton of little pin pricks all over my tummy. Also..do you switch sides everytime? I do my lupron on one side and the combo FSH on the other side and the next day I switch, seems to help cause the FSH hurts worse than the Lupron.
My friend who told me about this site mentioned that it is based in England..is that right? I'm in the states, so I was just wondering. :)
what are you gals' specific protocols? and backgrounds? first timers or repeats? just curious, especially if your in the UK, cause I was wondering if it is done differently there. I wish you all the best too!!

I'm a March IVF'er as well! Looks like we'll have some support as we will all be going through things around the same time.
Quick history: DH diagnosed with testicular cancer in Feb. 2008. Got the final ok from his dr May 2009, started TTC June 2009. Knew his count was low, so we started with all the other testing for both of us. After 2 IUI's w were referred to our endocrinologist who said IVF was our only real shot. Started down regging 2/13, start stimming tomorrow, 2/27. EC tentatively scheduled for March 10! I am so excited, but also nervous!
This is our first IVF cycle, and we are in the States.

Here's my thinking ladies: This is OUR month! It's March, so St. Patty's Day, which means 4 leaf clovers, which means good luck, which means BFP's all around!!

I'm all about the positive thoughts....I would be ecstatic if this was our month! Praying like crazy it works out for all of us!

I'm a March IVF'er as well! Looks like we'll have some support as we will all be going through things around the same time.
Quick history: DH diagnosed with testicular cancer in Feb. 2008. Got the final ok from his dr May 2009, started TTC June 2009. Knew his count was low, so we started with all the other testing for both of us. After 2 IUI's w were referred to our endocrinologist who said IVF was our only real shot. Started down regging 2/13, start stimming tomorrow, 2/27. EC tentatively scheduled for March 10! I am so excited, but also nervous!
This is our first IVF cycle, and we are in the States.

Here's my thinking ladies: This is OUR month! It's March, so St. Patty's Day, which means 4 leaf clovers, which means good luck, which means BFP's all around!!

Wow...I'm so sorry about your DH's cancer. Is it all gone and in remission? What a journey!

When I first joined the domain name was .co.uk, but it's changed since then, so I guess it's based in UK. But there are members from all over now.

I don't alternate sides. I'm trying to keep it to as small an area as possible. I've pin pointed one area of my leg that isn't bruising or bleeding as much and I'm trying to aim it around there now. :haha:

Ooo... so ECs on: 7th, 9th, 10th and 17th March! :thumbup:

Hi all nice to have a new thread with guys still taking their first steps only on day 4 of down regging myself but am hoping to squeeze ec in b4 the end of march. Im welsh so can I add St Davids day march 1st into the formula for good luch too ? Dh is a David x good luck all and keep letting us know how u are doing x

Hello! We start down regging tomorrow - excited and utterly terrified at the same time :)

Good luck all xx

Ooh! My DH is a David, too!! I've never heard of St. David's Day, but I will be adding it to my list of days to celebrate! And, yes, he is fine. He has to go in for yearly check up scans, but the nasty C is all gone!

I'm now on day 2 of stimming. I found that the Follistim was really easy. The Menopur, not so much. I have to mix it all up, and it kinda burns when I'm doing the injection. And I rotate the injections from each leg to each side of the tummy. I'm starting to look like a pin cushion, though!

Er. I had an ex called Dave. D'ya think that'll count? Please? Anything for a bit of luck? Please? :rofl:

Hopesforababy, I'm going to be on Menopur too, starting on Friday if baseline scan goes well on Thu. What dosage are you on? I'm going to be on 300iu, so 1ml of solution to inject. Not good to know that it burns! Scary. I'm a needle wuss! I've been concentrating on one small area on my leg for all my injections.

St David will do for me too although im in Ireland so i will send you all some st paddy dust as well!

Peartree, im not sure i would dwell too much on the ex!!

Looks like we are growing by the day - nice to have the support and hear everyones story.

How often do you all have scans - i have another wed and then again on sat. Is that normal?

No, I'm not sure I should either, but seeing as St. David's Day will bring all the luck and you all have Davids in your life, I was clutching at straws. :haha:

All in all, 3 scans before EC day for me - baseline scan to check lining, then on Day 8 of stims and Day 11 of stims to check follicles.

I had a baseline last Wednesday, the day I started stims and I start scanning again this Wednesday, day 8 of stims, and I scan every day after that until I am ready! And on top of that, our clinic is 2 hours away so we either have to stay there for a couple days or drive back and forth everyday. Not sure what we're planning yet.

I had my estradiol blood test today, but haven't heard anything back yet so I'm assuming they're gonna keep my meds the same. I'm doing Gonal F 225 IU's and Menopur, 1 amp (75 units). The nurse taught me how to combine the 2 so I can take fewer shots...2 a day instead of 3 a day. But, yes..they do burn more than the Lurpon. :(

Peartree, you crack me up! Between the couple of David hubbies we have, I also have a cousin David, I think we're good. But we'll have to be on the look out for any Patrick's in our lives............ :) Angel, start collecting that St. Patty's dust to sprinkle us with!!

As far as the Menopur goes, I take one vial. I have to get 1 cc of sterile water, mix it with 1 vial of powder using a Q cap, then take off the Q cap and attach a needle. It's just a larger amount than the other meds. And it's not a horrible burn, just an uncomfortable sensation.

FeeBee, welcome to the group! You'll do fine!! Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

I am going for the ICSI route due to my OH poor motility. I am just waiting for AF to show before I start.
Im ready to get things going now, its feels as though it has taken forever to get to this stage!
Good luck everyone and I will be checking to see how your all getting on!
x

So I am on day 6 of the stims and I'm definitely starting to get uncomfortable. Yesterday was my cut off day for exercise and BD which I was initially frustrated with cause I didn't want to have to stop exercising because that makes me feel better when I'm having a rough day, but after the way I feel today I don't want to move or exercise..my ovaries definitely hurt. Anyone else getting uncomfortable yet?
I have my first u/s on Wednesday...so hopefully I've got lots of eggs getting ready to retrieve! I'm def getting nervous!

Looks like people are doing well only day 6 of down regging i hope stimming doesn't sting too much been injecting all over my stomach got 2 bruises and lots of pin pricks! I will be going on 450 iu of fostimon (same as gonal f) this seems really high to me as all my test were fine apart from amh which showed i have a low reserve of eggs not sure i believe this to be that reliable but we will see.

Can i check how many days people are down regging (14) stimming (10-14) for? no idea about my scans have 1 on the day i started.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus - Happy St David's Day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->