January Jellybeans 2013!...

I find that if we're out he will sleeps, like today was up at 7.30 for a feed then slept 8.30-10, we went out at 11, slept till two, feed had some awake time then slept till 5, that's because we were out. If at home he'd just cat nap, nothing longer than 30/45 mins.

I've also read that babies eating well during the day helps sleep at night. He has dropped back to 3oz every three hours so today I changed to a fast flow teet and he's done 5oz twice and once 3oz. We'll see what tonight brings!

Sonia, your LO's sleep patterns are exactly like my Katie's. I'm lucky to get 4 hours! Hopefully we'll get longer stretches soon!

So yesterday I was reading up on the necessary sleep for a newborn. It was saying they should go to bed for the night between 6 and 7 and be awake for no more than an hour or two in between naps during the day. So we started trying to put Lilah to bed at 6 this evening. Well, ladies, it is almost 9 and she is still awake. I'm not so much frustrated that she didn't meet a time constraint, as we have been trying to get her to sleep on and off for 3 hours and she's just fighting it with every fiber of her being even though she's so tired. I don't know what to do. Becoming a parent has really made me feel quite helpless at times. This is one of those times.

So yesterday I was reading up on the necessary sleep for a newborn. It was saying they should go to bed for the night between 6 and 7 and be awake for no more than an hour or two in between naps during the day. So we started trying to put Lilah to bed at 6 this evening. Well, ladies, it is almost 9 and she is still awake. I'm not so much frustrated that she didn't meet a time constraint, as we have been trying to get her to sleep on and off for 3 hours and she's just fighting it with every fiber of her being even though she's so tired. I don't know what to do. Becoming a parent has really made me feel quite helpless at times. This is one of those times.

I hear you Brieri, being a parent is incredibly tough, I have a huge sense of respect who raised 4 kids who at one time were all under 5 years old!! Have you tried letting Lilah cry for a certain period of time? We let Harry cry for between 10-15 mins at bed time & usually that's enough to send him to sleep. If not ill go in and pat or cuddle him then put him back into bed. It's hard listening to him cry, but I hope it will pay off in the long run.

Harry seems to have gone backwards today, usually he'll at least take half an hour naps in his bed but not today! It's on me or nothing!!

Hope she's settled by now :)

Brief - I know what you mean about feeling helpless. I have no idea half the time whether what I'm doing is the right thing or not or whether I am creating bad habits. Eva has a late bedtime too. She usually naps in the afternoon till about 5/5.30 and then is awake all evening, going to bed about 10.30 (except last night which was 1.30). My theory is that once the time between daY time naps gets longer that late afternoon nap may move into the evening and become bedtime. Who knows.

Lillian - Eva has reverted back to old habits too. A few of the ladies on Facebook have said their babies have been playing up too the past few days. I'm blaming the full moon! :)

Maybe try bumping up the bedtime slowly? Oliver was a 12am bedtime originally but I've slowly been pushing it up. Some days he responds better than others, and I always try to cue it off his fatigue. Last night we got him down at 9:30 and its the earliest yet! His naps seen to be adjusting to it as well. He was napping until 6isj but yesterday his last nap ended at 4.

I'm getting an IUD put in on Tuesday. I conceived Lilah in 2 months, so I'm assuming I will conceive quickly should I decide to have another kid in the future, so I need to be ready to get pregnant as soon as I go off birth control.

Lilah was working herself into an eating and sleeping schedule until a few days ago. A few days ago, she hit her 6 week growth spurt, and times have gotten pretty tough again. She eat all the time, doesn't sleep much and if I put her to sleep, she will wake up if I try to put her down at all. Its been really hard on me. I'm hoping she gets past it soon and back to the way she was.

My sister in law recommended "Becoming Baby-Wise" to me to start establishing a sleep schedule and the ability to self-soothe with Lilah. Any of you read that book and tried their techniques? I ordered it, but the reviews online were very mixed. :/

I used Baby Wise with my first two and it did work great . They were both great sleepers and slept through the night solidly with no sleep regressions at all unless they were sick. I haven't followed it with this baby but I guess I'm still following some of the similar routines loosely as its second nature to me now.. but I don't ever wake him for feeds. The criticism of it is that some babies have failure to thrive I think.. but my kids grew healthily. As long as some common sense is applied with it I think its fine.

Did you do the crying it out part?

Only a little, they actually didnt really cry because they were so content.

Last night, I gave up and let her nurse to sleep on me. Then she proceeded to wake up every two hours or less to snack. It was a long hard night. She did really great all morning this morning, but she took her first nap on me and her second one on my husband. We decided to try the crying for 15 minutes for her 3rd nap. After 12 minutes she stopped crying. We got excited and went in to see if she was asleep. She saw us and the whole thing was blown. We've been struggling with it so much since. I think she's so overtired at this point that she won't be able to put herself to sleep. We're calling it quits for today and sticking with what works, but I think will give the 15 minutes another go for her first nap tomorrow morning.

I feel like Lilah has fallen back to bad habits too. Even sleeping with us, she was going 4 hour stretches. She's just getting worse and worse. I feel like I'm doing something wrong as a parent.

Oh hun, I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. It's maybe just a phase? Archie slept 11-5 on Tuesday night, but last night he was up every two hours or so and wouldn't settle on his own. I sometimes forget if you like that he's still only 7 weeks old and get caught up in whole is he good / sleeping through yet? I don't think most babies establish proper sleeping patterns until 3/4 months. I find that a set evening routine works for us, it's normally play, bath, bottle and bed. He'll lie in his cot staring at his mobile for half hour or so which allows me to get ready for bed / sterilise etc, I then give him his paci and he's normally asleep within 10. Do you have a routine before bed? I also found that putting him to sleep in the room he'll wake in made a big difference and I read that it can confuse them - they expect to wake where they fell asleep, if they don't they'll struggle to go back down. We now put him down to settle in his nursery - before we'd move his crib once asleep from lounge to our bedroom but he'd never re settle well in bedroom after a night feed. We tested it one night all in the lounge - it may have been a one off but we had an amazing night.

:hugs: to you hun xxx

Lilah slept on my husband from 8:30 to almost 1 AM last night, and then spent the rest of the night sleeping contentedly in her co-sleeper. I barely slept I was in so much shock. She even put herself to sleep in there. She got up this morning at 7:25, so we decided to give her some awake time, and put her back down at 8:45. We took turns being in there with her, holding her hand and stroking her face, but to no avail. We were both out of there by 9:30. She cried for about 5 minutes and then stopped. Figuring she fell asleep, I went and looked in on her. Wide awake. I checked on her every five minutes. Finally, at 9:55, she was finally asleep. Over an hour later. I can't believe how stubborn that little girl is. At least she put herself to sleep. I think next time, I'll skip the us being in there with her and just give her a good fifteen minutes of crying, if she goes for that long, and maybe it'll shorten the time it takes for her to go to sleep on her own. I'm trying really hard to get her on a Babywise schedule. Not necessarily based on times at this point, and I don't not feed her if she's showing hunger at different times than arranged for on their schedule, but I'm trying to do the 3 hour cycles of eat-play-sleep. We've been doing that for the most part for almost a week, but we hadn't been leaving her to get herself to sleep. I really hope it doesn't take her more than hour to fall asleep for her next nap.

Sometimes it takes Oliver that long to fall asleep too. Last night he laid in bed for an hour and a half wide awake and just kicking his legs! I fell asleep before he did!!

Last night, I gave up and let her nurse to sleep on me. Then she proceeded to wake up every two hours or less to snack. It was a long hard night. She did really great all morning this morning, but she took her first nap on me and her second one on my husband. We decided to try the crying for 15 minutes for her 3rd nap. After 12 minutes she stopped crying. We got excited and went in to see if she was asleep. She saw us and the whole thing was blown. We've been struggling with it so much since. I think she's so overtired at this point that she won't be able to put herself to sleep. We're calling it quits for today and sticking with what works, but I think will give the 15 minutes another go for her first nap tomorrow morning.

I feel like Lilah has fallen back to bad habits too. Even sleeping with us, she was going 4 hour stretches. She's just getting worse and worse. I feel like I'm doing something wrong as a parent.

She's pretty close to her 6 week growth spurt which definitely made my LO a bit more of a pain.

Sorry to just drop in like this hope a u ladies are doing fine

I wanted to know for those of u bottle feeding when did ur period come back? I haven't bf'ed Riley at all I got some bleeding once he was born but nothing since I thought my period wod b back by now it freaks me out a little

Hi Kaicee

Nice to hear from you :) hope you and Riley are well?

My period cane back 21 days pp but I'm on the pill so expected it.

Hi Kaiecee. Hope all is well. I am formula feeding as well and Chloe will be 8 weeks this week and I still haven't had my period. I had the IUD paragard put in so it doesn't effect my period and won't force it to come back so I'm not sure when to expect it.

Cuz were not using protection so I expected my period by now it makes me worry

Thanks and I hope all of u and ur little ones are doing good

My midwife said she has had women turn up for their 6 week check up already preggo. I would do a test and if its negative get contraception sorted asap (unless of course your wanting to get pregnant). Hope things are good with you and little Riley.

Ya it's been 3 night he sleeps all the way thru I do t want to get pregnant I do most of the baby stuff now dh does all the cooking I have to hand it to him there but not ready to b pregnant since I'm always sick all of the time today Riley has his first appt. with his dr we need to get his pupils checks cuz one is always bigger than the other but some people tell me not to worry but I want it checked just to b sure hope u all doing good today

Sorry to just drop in like this hope a u ladies are doing fine

I wanted to know for those of u bottle feeding when did ur period come back? I haven't bf'ed Riley at all I got some bleeding once he was born but nothing since I thought my period wod b back by now it freaks me out a little

Wow, I have been off of here for a while too! :)

I was wondering the same thing the other day and then... yesterday, my period came! :cry: It was weird because i didnt get any cramps or sore boobs.. but my god it is heavvvvvvvy and I am a total and complete bitch! Picking at hubby over stupid stuff and i screamed yesterday!:shrug:

Ella is 9 weeks on friday, and i never breastfed either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->