July Jelly Beans of 2014! *16 pink bumps, 18 blue bumps, 8 yellow bumps** (24 here)

Gorgeous bump brandi!!

As for intuition I think ill be over due. And itll be a week day. I keep having dreams where im in labor but the baby just never comes and then labor stops and I wake up... :-/

Charlie- try not to stress, it could be nothing. Hoping your scan goes well...

Im so ready to meet this little one although we dont have names. Thrown a few around but not set on any yet...

Wow what a night. The night before last I had some hard core contractions that I "tried" to ignore but woke me up in the middle of the night. Nothing yesterday. 10 o'clock last night was woken up by what I can only explain as someone trying to rip me from bum to lady parts. Also ripping side pains and back pains. Head was throbbing as well. Tmi but got up and RAN to the rest room. Diarrhea and then vomiting. My head was pounding so took two Tylenol and I think with the pain helped me sleep. However woke up still having contractions. Going to monitor for awhile then call my OB. Fingers crossed. I know she said Tuesday I'm ready and could break my water to get things active but I'm still kinda hoping to go on my own.

Goodluck jack, I hope this is it for you!!

I had vomiting and alot of bowel movements as well as contractions and pains with my 2 previous pregnancies and gave birth only a few hours later. So fingers crossed foe you.

Good luck jackjack

I'm actually reasonably calm all things considered. If it's what I had its treatable and I grew out of it. It'd just be nice to not have to wait to know

had my weekly appointment today and was told I tested positive for Strep B which means that when my water breaks I need to get to the hospital so they can start me on IV antibiotics...Anyone else test positive or hear about this? I wasn't told I was positive with my first and didn't get antibiotics so I'm not sure if this is new for me or they didn't test last time. No changes in effacement or dilation (still 50% and fingertip only) and no more weight gain (i'm at 50 lbs which is where I was with DD, too...she ended up being a few ounces shy of 10 lbs so I'm going to assume this baby is pretty big, too) but am 15 lbs lighter than with my first since I started off lower. But my belly is HUGE and hurts like heck around my belly button...see pic (I am not naked in the picture but since I didn't have any makeup on I took it in the dark, haha).

Attachments

• 37 weeks.jpg
    37 weeks.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1
It's not just when your water breaks, pooch. It's when you go into labour. Of 4 pregnancies, I tested positive in one of them. I made it to the hospital in time, but they sent me home claiming false labour. I made it back there two hours later, having had dilated another 5cm in that time span, but they piddled around because of what they believed earlier and I didn't start antibiotics until 15 minutes before they broke my water. 15 minutes after they broke it, my son was born. My waters have never broken on their own, and waters breaking on their own is actually a rare occurrence, unless it's Hollywood, lol.

My son DID end up in NICU for a week. He stopped breathing when he was 3 hours old, because he swallowed the plug on his way out, but even suctioning him didn't get him breathing again. They did CPR for 10 minutes before he started again, and so they put him on a 7 day course of IV antibiotics because I had been group B positive. He continued to have a few apneic spells for the first few days. They believe his exposure and my lack of antibiotics contributed to why he didn't breathe on his own after removing the obstruction, and why he continued to have spells for a few days. He's fine now, 5 years old, but it could have been a lot worse.

It's not really something to mess with so even if you aren't sure if you're in labour, go anyway and get checked, because it's better safe than sorry.

Good to know Brandi. With my first my water broke as step one with labor so I'm not sure if it's likely to happen again or not but they said that IV antibiotics won't get to the baby UNTIL the water breaks...you would think they would want to put me on antibiotics orally now or at least in a week or two? He acted like it wasn't a big deal. I'm waiting to hear back from a doula I called and will try to get info out of her to see if there's anything I can do beforehand since the dr didn't give me any info.

GBS isn't a big deal to you. It comes and goes and doesn't affect us, but it can negatively affect the baby. I was never told to wait until the waters break, so not sure either way on whether the antibiotics have to wait or not until the water breaks. For many women though, breaking their water speeds up labour and I was told that you need antibiotics for at least 4 hours prior to giving birth.

I found this site. Hope it helps a bit

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

Here...

What is the evidence for antibiotics during labor to prevent early GBS infection?

To answer this question, I will walk you through the most important studies that led to how we most commonly try to prevent early GBS infections in the U.S. today.

GBS emerged as a widespread threat to newborns in the early 1970’s. At that time, 1.7 of every 1,000 infants had early GBS infection (CDC 2010). In 1973, a researcher proposed giving pregnant women penicillin to stop early GBS infections in infants (Franciosi et al. 1973).

First, researchers tried giving penicillin to women before labor, but this didn’t work. Although penicillin temporarily lowered GBS levels, by the time women went into labor the GBS levels were back up again (Gardner et al. 1979).

Abbi laboring in the hospital with antibiotics for GBS.
Abbi laboring in the hospital with antibiotics for GBS.

Next, researchers tried giving antibiotics to women with GBS during labor. In the late 1980’s, three groups of researchers in the U.S., Spain, and Finland randomly assigned women with GBS to either receive IV antibiotics during labor (penicillin or ampicillin) or no antibiotics (Boyer & Gotoff 1985; Tuppurainen and Hallman 1989; Matorras et al. 1991).

In a recent Cochrane review, researchers combined the results of these 3 studies that had a total of 500 pregnant women. They found that when women with GBS had antibiotics during labor, their infants risk of catching early GBS infection dropped by 83% (Ohlsson & Shah 2013).

As the Cochrane reviewers noted, there were quite a few limitations to these 3 studies. In their summary, the reviewers said “There is no valid information from these three small, old, and biased trials to inform clinical practice.” However, an alternative perspective would be that there is some valid information from these studies, along with some limitations to the evidence.

What is the best time to receive antibiotics for GBS?

Amy and her 3rd son. Amy was GBS positive but did not have antibiotics-- her son was born 27 minutes after her first real contraction!
Amy and her 3rd son. Amy was GBS positive but did not have antibiotics– her son was born 27 minutes after her first real contraction!

The CDC recommends that antibiotics be given every 4 hours, starting more than 4 hours before birth. Recent evidence supports these recommendation:

In 2013, researchers looked at 7,691 live births that took place during 2003-2004 in the U.S. (randomly selected out of >600,000 births), along with 254 infants who had early GBS infection (Fairlie et al., 2013). About 1 in 3 women had antibiotics during labor (31%), and 59% of women received antibiotics more than 4 hours before birth.

When penicillin or ampicillin was given more than 4 hours before birth, it was effective 89% of the time. In contrast, giving antibiotics 2-4 hours before birth was effective 38% of the time. Antibiotics given less than 2 hours before birth were effective 47% of the time. When Clindamycin (another antibiotic) was used in place of penicillin, it worked very poorly (only 22% effective). There was no statistical difference between the 2-4 hour window and the 2-0 hour window, so even though the percentages look different, they are not statistically significant.

In another study published in 2013, researchers reviewed the medical records of 4,756 women who received antibiotics during labor for GBS– 1,149 received antibiotics for less than 4 hours, and 3,633 receiving antibiotics for 4 or more hours. More infants whose mothers received less than 4 hours of antibiotics had a discharge diagnosis of sepsis when compared to infants whose mothers received 4 hours or more of antibiotics (1.4% versus 0.4%.) (Turrentine et al., 2013).

Good luck, Jackjack! Hope this is it for you :)

Oh, wow. I did not know strep B was so bad for baby. I never had it but my sister (FTM) tested positive at her 37 week appt (she is now 41 weeks). The doctor just casualy told her they will give her antibiotics once she is in labor.

Hmm intuition..i think i might goverdue or maybe after 39 weeks..size wise im a shortie like brandi 5ft 1 and have had a 2,8kg and then a 3,3kg baby (6 then 7ish pounds)

I don't think they even test for strep B overhere, what does the test entail?

Yeah i've never heard of the strep test here....from what I can gather it's a pretty high occurrence in women.

They don't routinely test for Strep B over here - it's a BIG subject of contention because of the issues strep b can cause and from what I remember there's a campaign that's calling for it to become part of routine testing xxx

Linny, it's a swab, like a long qtip, inserted into the vagina, and then swabbed along the edge of the rectal opening that tests for bacteria. The results take about 48 hours, as the lab then grows the sample and if bacteria grow, then it's positive. The results are only good for 5 weeks though, so if you have it done at say 34 weeks and you go beyond 39 weeks, you have to do it again. I've tested positive in 1 out of 4 pregnancies.

Completely unrelated to Strep B, but I thought I'd post a bump picture as the last one I took was at about 20 weeks. So here I am at 37 weeks and 1 day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
that is a cute bump! Sometimes, I still find it hard to believe there is a life growing inside there.

In other news, my little sister had her baby today at 41 weeks. I am so psyched for her and so wish I could hold her little bundle of joy.

Congrats to your sister Timewaster....

Cute bump pic....

I was up from 3-6am again last night so I decided to finish up organizing the baby's closet area with the new bins I bought yesterday. I found a couple more things that needed to get washed so those are in there now.
I was getting back pain/cramps last night and was paranoid that i was going into labor but fell asleep and they're gone now. Since my water broke with my first and I knew i was in labor i'm afraid that when the time comes i'll be so unsure if my water doesn't break right away! Obviously after a while I'll figure it out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->