Jury Duty while pregnant... ugh!

feedindy

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I just got a summons for jury duty in Pennsylvania. I will be just over 25 weeks at that time I am scheduled to go.

I would have no problem with it if I weren't expecting, but I am wondering what if I have to pee every hour, or my back is sore, or if I have to barf, etc.

Maybe they will just take one look at me and dismiss me. I heard that if I postpone it, I have to set a date to reschedule it within a year. But if they dismiss me, I just wait for whenever they would randomly call me again.

Has anyone had to serve while this late in their pregnancy? or do they usually dismiss you?

I actually got knocked up while I was on a jury for a murder case in August/September. Lol I guess not being at work gave me more time to dtd lol! It depends on what case they pull you for. If it is one that is a month long, you will def be able to get out of it. Or if it is a really bad case they prob wont pick you either. I will tell you- every single person that cried got out of it lol! Good luck!

I'm pretty sure you could get a doctor's note to get out of it since it isn't healthy for a pregnant woman to sit for hours on end and sometimes juries have to spend a really long time sitting in chairs and listening or deliberating. Plus, all the aches and sickness etc that you mentioned.

When I went (two weeks plus on sexual assault case) I had an awful cold and the judge had to keep excusing me due to coughing!! Might be better to put ot off. Long long days in a dry courtroom

ive never had jury duty. i think it may be fun :p

Thats what I thought, too. It was really interesting, I learned a lot about our judicial system. But the last 2 weeks I was starting to feel sick, and was exhausted from being preggo. And it was pretty graphic with the photos, etc. Plus- it was a murder trial- deliberations were one of the most stressful things I have ever gone through in my life. I was glad when it was over!

i live in florida,and a few months ago my hubby got a notice but i remember reading on it that if you are preggy they you excused.....so i would call and ask....you may not need a doc note

I have to try and call in right now to see if I have duty this week!! I was thinking of postponing too, but decided I'd rather go pregnant than when I have an infant to think about.
Fingers crossed we're both dismissed!!

Hi ladies,

I just got a summons for jury duty in Pennsylvania. I will be just over 25 weeks at that time I am scheduled to go.

I would have no problem with it if I weren't expecting, but I am wondering what if I have to pee every hour, or my back is sore, or if I have to barf, etc.

Maybe they will just take one look at me and dismiss me. I heard that if I postpone it, I have to set a date to reschedule it within a year. But if they dismiss me, I just wait for whenever they would randomly call me again.

Has anyone had to serve while this late in their pregnancy? or do they usually dismiss you?

Helly feedindy,

My name is Ashley I currently live in Ohio but travel between here and Pennsylvania I wanted to let you know I am 18 weeks pregnant and recently got summoned to do jury duty as well. they have a number on the back of the mail stating that if you need to postpone to call the number and speak with the representative. I called the number and explained to the lady that I was pregnant and was sickly with vomiting and needed to take it easy for a while do to my pregnancy. she asked when i would be able to postpone until? and i told her I dont know because the baby with be born in a few months so I would have to just let them know at a later time after the birth of my child and some rest. the lady told me because of my pregnancy and me being so far along she would just take me off of the list indefinitely. so my advice is tell her that your pregnant and that you do have sick spills and you need your rest and she will take you off of the list 9/10.

Ashley

I think if you show up pregnant they will just dismiss you but NOT make you reschedule. If you have to reschedule in the next year it could create a nightmare. The last time I was on jury duty they would only allow you to reschedule 2 times (regardless of having small children at home to care for). If you get dismissed it puts your name back into the system and it could be eons before you get called again. You could always call the number on your notice and ask them what their recommendation is.

We dont have to do it over in the uk if your pregnant.well at least you didnt have to a few years ago when i did jury service.The stress cant be good for baby (especially if its a reallly big case!), and it is such a long day. I did find it intersting when i done it though!

I'm pretty sure that if your pregnant, you should be able to get away with not doing it (I'm sure that's how it works here in the UK anyway) Is there a number on the letter that you can ring?! Maybe ask your midwife...as she might know?! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->