Just got referred for IVF

Hi Ladies. I've been stalking this thread for awhile now, reading along with all of your stories. I had a suspicion I might be headed down this road for awhile now. I am 39, DH 44. We have a 2.5 yr old DS who we conceived first try ( I was 37 then), but I had some problems when I delivered. I have been given the diagnosis of Unexplained Secondary Infertility. We have been TTC #2 since Jan 2011 with no luck. An HSG shows my left tube is blocked, but everything else is good. I ovulate on my own, with regular periods. I've done 5 rounds of clommid, 100-150mg, and now have been referred to a fertility clinic, most likely for IVF.

I was a bit sad when my Gyne told me she had nothing left to offer me. My DH was out of town working when I got the news, and no one knows about the fertility problems. This is a second marriage for both of us, neither one of us had children prior. We are completely blessed to have our DS, but we had hoped to have a larger family with more kids. Hard to think that our little man might not get any brother or sisters :(

Anyways, we have just been referred to the clinic, and the waiting time is approximately 6 months. DH has done his SA, but we don't have the results yet, and I have to repeat all my blood work as all results have to be within 6 months for a referral. I did my CD3 and now just need to do the CD21.

Anyways, that's me in a nut shell :)

Welcome!! This is a lovely bunch on this thread :) May I ask why your wait is 6 months? It seems like a long time especially given your ages (no offense as I'm right there with ya). My RE wanted to be agressive and fast due to our ages. Another question.....what about doing injectables? I can completely understand wanting to do IVF though as the chances are higher. Maybe you'll get lucky and have twins so your family will be larger like you wanted. Good luck no matter what!

Stinas...Spotting is totally normal on the bcp. Pretty sure I've only got one bun in the oven. We transferred two but with my low betas it's for sure just one which is exactly what we wanted. We will be having one child exactly like we wanted, no siblings.

Sheri..are you having any ms yet? I'm not but I hear it should start in the next week or so. Lovely right? I was a little queasy in the shower this morning but not bad. My BFF recommended keeping large zip lock bags in the car, she said it saved her more than once. Good idea! You are so right about needing to relax and enjoy it. I feel like I'm on edge constantly.

Noasaint I'm only having small bouts of nausea & light headedness although I have no appetite until the afternoon, I'm making myself eat a banana or drinking choc milk but then in the evening I want to eat everything in sight :wacko: with both my dd's I had bad MS the first from 6 - 12 weeks & the second from 6 -18 weeks & I thought it was never going to end! I'm not looking forward to that but at the same time I'd rather feel sick than feel nothing. The zip lock bag is a great idea! I did vomit on myself in the car with my first dd :haha:

Thanks for the welcome, ladies :)

noasaint: it takes 6 months to get in for the consultation appointment. There is only 2 fertility clinics in the whole province, so they are very busy. Injectables can only be prescribed by the fertility clinic here, my Gyne can't order them for us. I would love to just be able to get in and get things sorted, I hate that time is ticking! I will be 40 in January, DH45. So I'd love to get in before then.

I'm 6wks 3 days. I had one time I was crazy nauseated but I think that was
Vitamins on too empty of a stomach. Other than that... I'm tired and bloaty and my boobs hurt. Oh and I've gained 4 lbs. mom said she didn't really have ms. Luckily I can scan at work so... Scanned Friday and still two heartbeats. Official us is weds

Honey - Did you get the OHSS because you have PCOS? My IVF doc said I have mild PCOS and I will have to go get checked more often so we can avoid OHSS.

Sheri - I hope you feel better soon. They say your immune system goes really low during first tri....so maybe it is a symptom?

noasaint - Perfect!!! I kind of figured the spotting was normal, but anything now and days makes you wonder with all these meds.

drsquid - Thats good that you dont have ms....especially carrying two I would imagine it would make ms worse. Good luck on your official US!

I hope you ladies have a great week!! I will be away in the Bahamas on vacation...I might pop in and out...depends on if we get wifi.

hi gals,
Noasaint, drsquid and sheri :it's nice to hear your babies are all progressing well. :flower:
Even though ms sounds like it will be tough (especially the possibility of throwing up on myself!!!!!) but I really look forward to one day being able to experience it:blush:

stinas, OMG Bahamas sounds amazing!!! what a nice way to unwind before your stims start.
If you have PCOS please make sure they do monitor you a lot and that the meds start as lower doses as your follies can potentially grow very fast and excessively.

Honey, :hugs: I am sure you are giving your little ovaries the TLC they need :kiss:

Hi Altamom, as Noasaint said 6 months wait is such a long time so it's a shame about the limited clinics.
I hope you enjoy this thread as it is really great

Hi everyone else out there!

aleja - The OBGYN I went to said nothing to me about PCOS, but the IVF doc said i have a slight/mild case of it....im guessing she knows more since she went in and did the ultrasound of my ovaries. She seemed like she really plans on watching me closely...which makes me feel good. I never knew anything about all this stuff and she told me it twice...hopefully we can avoid it.
I know! This vacation actually timed out good for me....not so much for DH, but hes making the best of it.

Altamom, so sorry about the 6 months wait. That is really unfair. Can you travel to see a different RE sooner?

Stinas, I agree with Aleja about the PCOS. Even very mild case of it. I'm glad they will closely monitor you. I'm also jealous about the Bahamas!!! DH and I need to figure out where to go in November and I haven't a clue. We don't want to fly and I'm not sure how much walking I'll be wanting to do at that point.

Hi sheri and drsquid!!!! Hope you are enjoying your little ones.

New symptoms for me, for which I am definitely not complaining. I had a breast reduction 5 years ago so I have little feeling in my boobs. No soreness at all but for two days my nipples have been sensitive. I've been burping quite a bit too which is making me slightly queasy. I've been drinking gingerale to help that. DH has completely stepped up and done most of the housework. Beta #4 tomorrow, I'm definitely not as nervous as I was before. I did an ic this morning just to see and it's darker than the last Thursday one. No more testing for me, all out :)

GL Noasaint, I think after this last test you can well and truly sit back and enjoy your growing bubba x

stinas, how is your DH doing?
I have a friend who is planning to do IVF as her partner is paraplegic, therefore cannot ejaculate naturally. She thinks he has to have the surgery to find the spermy. What should i tell her about this type of surgery? any helpful hints?

I didn't know about anything related to either the female or male reproduction system but having assisted conception quickly changes this!

Thanks Aleja!!

4th beta went well today (2159 with a doubling time of 38 hours) and now I feel like I can breathe. My taste buds are way off. Nothing tastes good especially proteins. I had to choke down some chicken parm just because I knew I needed proteins. It seems all I want is salt and carbs aside from steak. I can't get enough steak!

Hi ladies!!! Hope all is well with everyone!!
Greetings from Bahamas!!!
We are having an amazing time. Dh went in the water today despite doc orders...but I don't blame him. Lol

Aleja - can your friends oh feel his balls? Of he can't, he will be just fine, if not...it's really uncomfortable. If you look at them it looks like vampire bites. They become super swollen and after surgery really high up.
If he is producing sperm I'm pretty sure it will be less invasive. My dh is apparently not making a normal amount so they had to really dig and take tissue samples. So I'm sure that's why it's taking longer to heal.
I hope it's a lot easier for them.

Stinas hope your having a great time!

Hope everyone is well :flower:

My 2nd beta on Monday was 6700 but I also had some bleeding the same day so now I'm waiting for my 3rd beta next Monday :wacko: more waiting!

Hi Sheri wishing you lots of positive vibes for your next test. Oh boy that must be very scary seeing blood but I hear it is common with IvF pregnancy. Your beta numbers are great though

Stinas, thanks for the info about DHs surgery . Wow it sounds like such an ordeal for him .
I am not sure about whether my friends DH has feeling down there but I think they are expecting that it will be hard to find good (if any ) sperm . Her DH takes lots of painkillers and meds so thats another issue they will have.

Bahamas sounds so decadent .. I'm not surprised your DH has gone in the water. It would be such a shame for him to miss out

sheri- oy i got brown stuff yesterday and there is a bit left today.. my head knows it is no biggie but.. still got someone at work to check on them. first official us is today.

Hi Ladies. So so far all of our lab work is normal. Just waiting for DH SA. I've called the Gyne office twice and they can't find the report?!?!? They said that they will contact me tomorrow, and that a message has been left with the Dr to find it. Good Lord! I still have to get more blood work on CD21, but so far there is nothing abnormal with me and DH. Not sure If I'd be happier knowing that there is something wrong, or happier that there is nothing at wrong to explain the infertility.

noasaint- your beta are awesome

Stinas - I hope you are having a wonderful time in Bahamas. You deserve this holiday. Hope DH feels better soon, poor him.

sheri - your beta looks awesome, but I dont blame you for being worried about the blood. Hope it is nothing. I have heard lot of women with normal pregnancies also have some bleeding in their first trimester. Hoping all is well for you and good luck for next beta.

Drsquid- I hope you are well and the brown blood means nothing.
AltaMom - It is a shame your clinic cant find your report. I know it is far more disconcerting when they find nothing wrong with you and you just cant get pregnant. I really wish you get pregnant without any meds. Sending you miracle :dust:

Me- I am a lot better now. Almost back to normal. Thats good news as I need to get ready for my sister's wedding. I am going to be busy in the next coming days with the wedding preparations.

How is everyone else?

hello....again!
l joined this thread when it started but wasnt sure about where l was in my ttc journey cause of my confused gynae & dr.had just found out that DH had low sperm count (17 million)but they were just giving me clomid instead of doing more investigations like HSG, lap etc.

anyway,thanks to Aleja:flower: & Honeycheeks :flower: advice l finally decided to put things into my own hands.got a referral to an ivf clinic.Fs found out l have a low ovarian reserve, it's less than 1.yes, it's that bad. so he said we need to do ivf to concieve, wish l had gone to him a long time ago. so, guess l belong here after all. l have my first appt on the 24th of August, seems so far away. l doing the down regulation cycle, they sent me some info in the post so that l can read ahead & prepare questions. not looking forward to the injections!

haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but congrats Sheri ,noasaint, drsquid and anyone who got their Bfp!

Honeycheeks & aleja - hope your BFPs are just around the corner.

everyone - lots of baby dust your way!!!!

ladyf :hugs:, we missed on this thread. It is good that you decided to take control of the situation and got a referral to an IVF clinic, Though the investigation results dont seem so good, atleast you now know the real situation and how it needs to be handled. I hope you are in good hands now. August isnt too far away. I am guessing my FET would be in the same cycle as your IVF. Sending a lot of :dust: your way. Wishing you a quick :bfp: with no more roadblocks. The needles werent as worse a nightmare as I had imagined. The worst parts of IVF is the waiting before your first appointment and the wait after ET. The rest is not as bad as you imagine. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Honeycheeks-am happy l know what is going on with my body & l have a good Fs, seems like he knows what he is doing. l just hope and pray IVF works. because my AMH is really low the Fs said he said he will put 2 embryos ( hope l they get the eggs) back, wouldn't mind twins :winkwink:. the appt is dragging for sure, that will give me time to read around on what to expect. hope the injections won't be too bad for me too. can't wait to get the ball rolling.
hope we get our BFPs soon. thanks for the baby dust!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->