Kissing children on the lips

ladyluck8181

Mummy to 5
Reaction score
I just received this months baby & pregnancy magazine, the great debate question this month was 'should you kiss your children on the lips?'

It has never even crossed my mind to be something that anyone would perceive as wrong and I quite often kiss my children goodnight/goodbye etc on the lips.

So do you kiss your child on the lips, I'm talking a peck not full on snogging obviously, or do you think it is not something that should be done?

I kiss my son on the lips and plan to keep doing it. My parents did not kiss their children on lips, but I saw other parents doing it as a child. I decided that was what I wanted to do for my family.

It's not full on snogging, but no one has told DS, I can't wait until he learns to kiss right and proper and not just stick his open mouth where he wants to "kiss"....Ah baby kisses.

I do peck/kiss my kids on the lips.

I used to peck/kiss my parents on lips when I was younger, now I kiss my mum or dad on the cheek.

I do to my own yes, at the moment, provided they are happy too.
I am not exactly thrilled at the ideas of others though, simply because of things like coldsores etc. Evelyns got a shit immune system so she catches everything.
But i let them decide who and if they want to. I'm sure as they grow up they'll grow out of it.

I dont kiss LO on the lips only because her cheeks are soooooo chubby they are irresistible!

Mil always kisses her on the lips

Jacob kisses me on the lips but most other people he'll kiss on the cheek :).

We kiss our DS on the lips. I kiss my parents on the lips - not as much as I used to but sometimes we still do :)

DS knows not to kiss others on the lips - he kisses my parents on their lips but we aren't very close with DH's family so he doesn't kiss them on their lips. It's a closeness thing.

Hehehe I said "lips" a lot.

I do to my own children. Would never kiss another person's child on the lips though.

No, I personally don't like the idea of it and I'll admit I do do a second take when I see parents kiss their child on the lips. I don't think there's anything behind it, and it's a choice they've made and I completely respect that ... but it's not for me. My children only get kissed on their head or cheek, not lips. My oldest daughter knows not to kiss on the lips, we simply explained that mummy and daddy kiss each other on the lips because we're married, and when she gets married she'll kiss that person on the lips but you only kiss the person you're married to like that. She's totally fine with it.

One of the reasons I'm not keen on it is because MIL gets cold sores and DD kisses her a lot. I would just feel weird kissing my children on their lips as well though.

I dont see a problem with it personally.

I kiss my son on the lips. I say "give *their name* a kiss" & he puckers up :) I find it adorable. I only allow him to kiss me, his daddy, my OH & his daugher, my mum, my dad, my brother & my sister. My dad gets coldsores, so he would never allow my son to kiss him if he was having an outbreak. I realise you can be contagious just before, but usually there are signs (feeling run down, tingly lips etc).

I used to kiss my mum & dad on the lips until i hit puberty, now i kiss them on the cheek. I kiss my sister on the lips (shes 15 & hasnt out grown it yet, unless shes infront of her friends, & then i know not to approach her for one) but i see us doing this for the foreseeable future :)

I also kiss all my friends, male or female, on the cheek. So if LO one day deciedes he wanted to do the same, i would be fine with that. Or on their lips, i wouldnt mind, as long as my friends were ok with it.

One of my friends LOs whos 4 years old, always kisses me on the lips when hes told to say goodbye to me.

Kissing in my family, is like saying "i love you", & i love the fact that everytime LO gives me a little peck, i feel hes giving me a little bit of love :)

I kiss my children on the lips! I honestly can't believe anyone would think of anything of it. Not that I'd actually care what people think :lol:

I kiss my children on the lips but wouldn't kiss other people's children on the lips. I used to kiss my mum and dad on the lips as a child and it's never occurred to me to do otherwise.

Lucas isn't keen on me kissing him on the lips so it's a silly game for us that I attack him with it :haha: I've never given it much thought if I'm honest.....

I'll probably stop when he's older, it's cute to see a child giving their mum or dad a kiss on the lips but I'm not so sure about teens and adults. I might feel differently about it in the future but I wouldn't kiss my own parents on the lips.

Me and my husband kiss lo on the lips. I'm a little funny about anyone else doing it tho. Mostly because I vividly remember how uncomfortable I used to feel when I was expected to kiss grandparents on the lips. I don't want him to feel that way.

I kiss my LO on the cheek mostly as that is what I am used to (I was brought up kissing family on the cheek). However, I have kissed LO on the lips sometimes - especially as I like to lean in and she gives me a big sloppy one by surprise! I definitely don't find it weird when other families do it. It's affectionate and lovely to see :flower:

I kiss ds1 on the lips, well the past few months he hasn't wanted to be kissed on the lips and thrusts his forehead forward for a kiss.. Even then he only let me kiss him on the lips never oh.
I don't feel comfortable with other people kissing ds1 but sometimes he invited close family for a kiss on the lips and I never stopped it. I wouldn't kiss another child on the lips.
I haven't kiss ds2 yet only because it wouldn't be a kiss as such as he is obviously quite young and with his tongue tie he is very dribbley.

And by kiss ds2 I mean on the lips, he gets plenty of cheek kisses!

I do now. I didn't when Alex was born. I was terrified if her getting colds or ill after being in the Neonatal. I have been slated for it! But I made the right choice. I do now, because they insist.

I do not like anyone else doing it though. MIL loves to share colds. :grr:

I always kiss my children on the lips :kiss:

I kiss Charlie on the lips but don't with other peoples kids! I don't see the problem with it? Or the need for debate, it's just something you do or you don't :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->