• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ladies who are 40+

big congrats ellyn!! I am 42 next month, 15 weeks pg today....had my nt scan almost 2 weeks ago, the measurement was 2.5mm at 13w 3days all looked great and dates/growth exactly right.......just waiting on my stats for combined/bloods screening - have been told that since no-one has called me I should be low risk but am eager to know. What was your nt measurement? Your result sounds great however if I get stats that good I will opt out of amnio. xx

My NT measure was 1.7mm.

I just don't trust the NT scan and bloodwork, its not diagnostic, like the amnio. I know its risky and its a little scary, the average mc rate is 1:200 even though that is based on some old stats and its much higher in my city. One lab says they do 600-700 a year and never had a report of mc. I'm more afraid of some defects that I wouldn't know about if I didn't do one.

Everyone has to decide what is best for them and what they can live with.

Can understand that sweetie, my NT was also 1.7mm 1:1200, good luck sure everything be fine :hugs:

My NT measure was 1.7mm.

I just don't trust the NT scan and bloodwork, its not diagnostic, like the amnio. I know its risky and its a little scary, the average mc rate is 1:200 even though that is based on some old stats and its much higher in my city. One lab says they do 600-700 a year and never had a report of mc. I'm more afraid of some defects that I wouldn't know about if I didn't do one.

Everyone has to decide what is best for them and what they can live with.

hope it goes well, please update once it's done... I suppose it's all just a big scary ride.... have it done and risk mc, don't have it done, risk undetected conditions..it's never easy eh, us ladies have so much to worry over. I was so innocently blind to all of this first time round and that was only almost 3 years ago but was living in the middle east so no NHS to offer me all this testing!! Ignorance was bliss in my case but now I know better :wacko: Take Care ellyn and all the best XXXXX

Thanks very much.

I think the part that I'm now worried about is getting myself around after the amnio. My OB said to rest that day and no heavy lifting all week, no sex, etc. Ok, no problem.

BUT, I'm in Quebec. That means I myself have to take my sample from one hospital to another hospitals' lab. And because it will take 3 wks. I'm opting to take an additional sample to a private lab and pay $275 so I can find out preliminary results in 2 days. That means a bit of running around right after the amnio. So much for resting that day.

My dr also said to have someone with me. I"m not sure why exactly. But I don't have anyone to be with me. I'm fairly new here and the few friends that I have either don't know yet, are working, or are gone for the summer.

I think I will take a taxi at least.

Thanks very much.

I think the part that I'm now worried about is getting myself around after the amnio. My OB said to rest that day and no heavy lifting all week, no sex, etc. Ok, no problem.

BUT, I'm in Quebec. That means I myself have to take my sample from one hospital to another hospitals' lab. And because it will take 3 wks. I'm opting to take an additional sample to a private lab and pay $275 so I can find out preliminary results in 2 days. That means a bit of running around right after the amnio. So much for resting that day.

My dr also said to have someone with me. I"m not sure why exactly. But I don't have anyone to be with me. I'm fairly new here and the few friends that I have either don't know yet, are working, or are gone for the summer.

I think I will take a taxi at least.[/Q

Really think you should have someone with you. it hurts when needle goes in and afterwards you should be on bed rest. It hurt just to go down the hall and out to the lobby to be picked up by my husband. :flower:

ellyn, I believe that it 'can' cause some really acute cramping and also the docs want you to rest the area so it can all heal asap so no risk for infection etc. also no lifting, no pulling on the area around the abdominal/uterine area at all until everything settles. I take it it's the FISH fast results you are paying for which you said takes 2 days, then the full results in 3 weeks. I hope you can get someone to come with you :flower: xx

Thanks for the advice. Believe me, if there was someone who could've been with me, I would've asked them. But I"m fairly new to this city and don't know many people. The ones I do know are either working or gone for the summer.

But it's done. It wasn't pleasant I tell you that! It hurt more than I expected, a sting when the needle first started going in and then it felt like it just punctured through, I gasped, held my breath, and grimaced for about 2 mins until he pulled it out.

Immediately after I didn't feel much, but then walking out of the hospital, I felt a little cramping and walked like an old lady. It wouldn't have made a difference if someone was with me or not, at this point, the hospital is huge and it takes about 20 mins just to get out the front door.

I initially drove myself to the hospital, parked my car in the lot, had the amnio, then took a taxi to the other hospital to bring my stuff (so weird). Then took another taxi to the private clinic across town to deliver more stuff for the FISH analysis. Those results will come Wed. The hospital takes 4 wks.

Once I left the private clinic, the cramps subsided. I ended up having to take the metro (subway) downtown, and then took a taxi back to my car. A ridiculous amount of running around. I tried to minimize it by taking a taxi, but if this health care system was running like it should be, no one would have to take their own bodily fluid across town like that.

But now I'm home relaxing. I feel fine now but am taking it easy for sure.

aww Glad it's done now and hope you rest up and take care - please let us know how you get on, pray for a good result for you xxxx

Just got the call from the clinic - FISH results came in - all is NORMAL!!!!!!!! Sooooooo relieved, I cried. This is so stressful and worrisome, I had a feeling all was ok, but you just never know. I know things could still come up with the rest of the amnio results, but I can at least breath a sigh of relief. From what I understand the FISH tests for the 5 major chromosomes, and other things with the amnio are either very rare or would've already caused mc by now. So hoping those results are all normal too.

Now I can start spilling the beans!!

that is fantastic news, so happy for you..enjoy the months of pregnancy that are to come, they are a very special time XXXX

ellyn, got my long awaited results yesterday.

Age at delivery - 42
Age related risk - 1 in 68
NT - 2.5mm
Free Beta HCG - 1.01
PAPP-A - 1.70
Nuchal Translucency mom - 1.44
Gest. - 13w3d
CRL - 74mm

(they did not mention presence of nasal bone but I can clearly see one in the scan photos).

OVERALL RISK - LOW - 1 in 1141

Based on this I won't do the amnio and wasn't offered any further testing, I will leave the outcome to God/Mother Nature and wait until the 20 week anomaly scan to see more clearly if there are any issues at that time.

Best of luck and best wishes to you all, praying for a good outcome and pregnancy for all of us XXXX

Great results Kismo! Very happy for you and hope you can now sit back and relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

thanks..I feel like I can start bonding and look forward to feeling those kicks xxxx take care xxx

Great to read the good news. Can't wait to eventually be UTD and posting my results ;)

Hi All! I'm 44 and just found out I'm pregnant. I miscarried a year ago (blighted ovum). I've had some brown spotting which is probably normal,but I find everything worrisome this time around.I almost feel like I'm being delusional if I let myself be happy.It's so nice to have these boards to read.The feelings really are different when you're in your 40's.

I am 43, have a healthy happy 5 year old, and had 4 mc in teh past 18 months.....very sad....but I am almost 6 weeks pregnant again, and am SUPER afraid to feel happy and excited......my family members feel the same too.........it is almost like we are expecting a miracle to happen which is almost impossible. I am praying all the time!!!! I am happy to have found this topic! Reassuring a little!

Hi everyone,

I can't remember if I asked this here already. But are you considered high risk by your doc just because of age alone??? I have no other issues, everything is fine, amnio results are great, 18 wks and hopefully all still continues to go well. But my OB says I'm high risk just bc of age.

I saw my OB yesterday and asked for a copy of my file. (I have an appt next week with another doc, who is a family doc specializing in OB. And who works out of a much better hosp wtih a birthing center, better reputation for listening to your wishes for a natural birth, etc. I was lucky to find someone at this point. )....Anyhoo, so my OB asked why I wanted a copy. I told her I wanted to go to LaSalle hosp and had an appt with another doc I wanted to consult with. But I didn't want to completely leave her yet until I see this other doc, because I wasn't sure she would take me on, if I was considered high risk.

So, i asked my OB if I was considered high risk. And she rudely says, "well, what do you think? Are you going to be 44 or not? Are you of normal childbearing age? Just answer the question..." Beeee-atch. And then she went on about how I can't see two docs at once, it doesn't work that way,.....if I left with my file then that's it, I'm done with her....and wouldn't even let me speak. I said, fine, I would like my file so I can go to LaSalle hosp.

I'm so glad I'm not seeing her anymore. I just hope I like my new doc, and there are no problems taking me on, and I like the hosp.

She's been kind of rude to me since the beginning. Gave me a hard time becasue I wanted an amnio, she didn't think I needed one. At that time, when I made an issue of being 43, she played that down. Funny.

Her practice is also unsafe. She drew blood on my first visit, dropped some on the rubber band they wrap around your arm, and wiped it off with a used antiseptic wipe and put it back on the shelf. then threw the leftover vial of blood and needled into the front office trash can.

It's mostly the hospital that I dont' want to go. She works out of the Royal Vic in Montreal and that place should be torn down. It's the most unsanitary place I"ve ever been in. Dirty, garbage and spider webs in the window sills, overflowing toilets, and it's a research hosp so they have a rep for also doing more invasive procedures. If you want a natural birth, this is NOT The place to go. My neighbor also just told me she was there a few yrs ago and there were bugs in her bathroom. And a ceiling tile fell on her head while she was in the bathroom. Maintenance stuck it back up with duct tape. It was moldy.

So,....I've been trying for weeks to find a new doc who works out of a smaller, better hosp that has a separate birthing center. I finally found one, but am now worried that the new doc will say she can't see me because she's not a high risk doc and I'm high risk bc I'm old. And I can't go back to my old OB. She told me, "Once you take your file, that's it, doors closed!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->