Ladies who are pregnant with number 2 - sleeping arrangements?

babz1986

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just wondering where your planning on putting your baby to sleep, once they are ready to move into a cot?

Basically we have a 3 bed house now, my Little girl has the box room, and we use the spare room as a study/guest room, OH mum comes up EVERY month for the weekend without fail and then for quite a few nights during half terms. So as you can imagine, it's very handy for her to have her own room, plus his sister occasionally joins her for a few times a year aswell. They live 150 miles away so obviously not ideal for a one day visit for them.

When we found out we was pregnant, my I initial thought was that we'd move my little girl out of the box room, and she'd share with her new sibling in the now guest room, and then her box room would be swapped for guest room/office.

After a debate with OH, he's convinced that this will not work, and the box room isn't big enough for a spare bed and the computer, and obviously more ideal for them to have separate rooms (which I totally agree).. But as I pointed out what do we do with his mum? Lol.. We seem to be completely out of options as to how to solve the issue. So was wondering if your planning on your second baby to be sharing with its older sibling? Or if any of you are in similar situations?

Moving to a 4 bed is not financially visible, and nothing something I want to commit to, just for a spare room for his mum to sleep.

Any comments, ideas welcome :)

I always bed share, and I do so until they wean. When ds2 was born ds1 was on the inside of the bed, then DH, then me and then baby. Worked wonderful. Now I'm pregnant with #3 and ds2 is still in bed with us. We plan to do the same like we did before.

We'll have a co-sleeper attached to the bed for the first 6 months or so, then move LO to a crib in our room for another 6 months... dependent on how he/she is sleeping. We're in a 3 bed currently with the same set up and I am not sure what I want to do with the spare bedroom yet, hopefully we'll be moving when LO is about a year so we can figure it out at that point.

What if you get a nice sleeper sofa for your living room, then MIL can sleep there when she comes. Or, if the bigger room is big enough can you put a small bed or maybe futon and MIL can sleep in there with whatever child is in there. Also, maybe invest in a nice air mattress and then decide when she is there where the best place is for her to sleep.

That is all I could think of, good luck with everything.

I think moving them together in the bigger room is the best idea. Our LO and my partner's stepson who is 4 will share a room also :)

You could get a trundle bed to put your daughter in and them mil can share a room with her when she comes. I have the same issue. I am getting bunk beds in my sons room, and my mom will have t share with him.

I have issues with space too. Come September we will be 6 in a small 3 bed flat :wacko: I guess you can have your baby in with you for now and not actually change the rooms yet. Could you put a sofa bed in the box room eventually and have your 2 children sharing? Or a sofa bed in the lounge and a room each? My DS2 is still in with us, will be moving in with his big bro shortly, and he will be 3 in may but due to bad sleeping I haven't wanted to move him yet.

Thanks for the replys :).. It's now been decided that they will be sharing rooms and we'll have a small guest room, OHs going to make a custom shelf/desk for the computer to fit in as well lol. But the new baby will be in with us until he's atleast sleeping through good enough to not be a big disturbance to my little girl.

Suppose if this doesn't work then we'll have to ditch the spare room completely and rethink.

We have the same lay out as you.
Atm I have ds in the box room and 2ndbedroom as a guest room. But when baby comes along I don't want ds to feel he is losing his room so o/h is gonna move the stud wall over acouple of feet so we have 2 fair size bedrooms and his mother can sleep on the sofa bed in the living room.

I want both children to have their own rooms and if mil doesn't like sleeping on thesofa bed she can stay somewhere else (yes I have a bit of an issue with my mil especially as she doesn't spendmuch time with ds, is drunk most of the time and expects to be waited on)
x

This seems a silly idea to have two children sharing when they can have a room each :/ your children live there these visitors don't and are exactly that... Visiting!

Could you not when guests stay have one chlld bunk in with the other? I.e on a blow up bed, or sofa bed and have the guests share the other room.. Or perhaps sleep in the living room on a blow up bed or even for you and oh to give up your room for guests and you bunk down with the kids or in the living room..

I'm sure that's the easiest option rather then have two children share sow hen people stay they have their own room.. I know that's what I would do if people stayed in our 3 bed.. Obviously until the baby is older it.l be in with you so even easier and even after that surely just for one or a few nights they can be back in with you..

We're in a 3 bed house, our lb is currently in the box room, while we do out the 2nd bedroom for him to move in to. The box room(which is big enough for a double bed and a wardrobe) will become the nursery. Any overnight guests will have to put up with air beds in the lounge or get a hotel!

For us, we didn't see the point of keeping a room to just be used occasionally....we might as well make the most of the space we have.

We're in a 2 bed so once baby starts sleeping well (hopefully), it will be going in with my little girl.

I have a 5 bed roomed house but my daughters still share. I think it is character building and teaches them tolerance and respect of others. Our other bedrooms are currently used a music room/spare bedroom, an office/reptile room and a playroom.

When this baby comes along it will have the spare bedroom with the sofa bed being moved into the playroom. In another 5 years, my older girls will be 13 & 15 so we will move office to playroom, baby to big double room with her toys in there instead of a separate playroom and the older girls will get their own rooms.

I remember my siblings and I always wanting our own rooms but my parents had us all sharing and now we appreciate why. I actually feel sorry for my little one - sleeping all by herself in a room without a sibling!

we have a 2 bedroomed house and i suppose when ds2 arrives my girls could share once she is sleeping through but I dont want them to, we will be moving to a 3bed house in november when ds2 will be ready for her own room (7 month ish)
if we have any visitors then they can stay in a hotel or make do with what we have, i wouldnt expect my own room at my childrens house when they have room for a bedroom each, but then everyones different, and thats just what i would do....good luck :)

2 bed house with no option to move now they've announced that effing HS2 rail line under half a mile away from us...

Baby in with us until 6 months ish - moses, then space saver cot... then in with her big sister in the other bedroom - can just about get two cot beds in for the years until we can put them in either bunks or two cabin beds to have space underneath for other stuff.

Guests - either we have the sofas and they have our double, or they get a fold out mattress on the lounge floor... only way we can do things since the roof of our house is such we can't extend upwards, can't extend out back because of various stuff, and now have no hope of selling in the band hit by the rail announcement either.

To be honest I'd be in two minds with same-sex siblings about having them sharing and a dedicated playroom vs two bedrooms anyway.

What about a sofa bed, which can be packed away or pulled out as and when required.

Were in a two bed so hoping this one a boy so dont need to worry about moving any time soon.

we're in a 5 bed, but currently use the 2 bedrooms downstairs and the 3 upstairs are spare/junk/storage, the age gap will be 3.5yrs and I'm not comfortable putting my 3.5yr old upstairs by himself, its cold up there during winter, and to hot in summer, plus he currently knows he's not allowed up the stairs to those rooms, so I don't want them becoming open season for him.
Baby will be in with us for the first 18months, by then, DS1 will be 5 and we'll have the heating/cooling upstairs sorted so I'll be more comfortable with him moving to a room up there, and then I'll put the baby in his old room next to us.

we have a 4 bed and baby will be with us currently our 3 children share the second largest bedroom, my SIL ( and soon MIL ) share the other ensuite room and we will have a spare room/office again but thats really more of a family walk in wardrobe as we lack drawer space for all the kids stuff.
I grew up sharing a room my parents had 5 kids in a 3 bed house at one point and we survived even if it ment i shared with my brother and my 3 sisters shared a room.

I fully intend to have my children share rooms, once this baby is ready for its own room if its a boy then we will put the younger 2 together and the older 2 together if its a girl she will get lucky with her own room while her brothers all share and we will have a spare room as we often put up friends for a few nights.

Before we moved here we were 5 in a 2 bed house one of the rooms a single and even for a while had my SIL staying with us there so DH and I and ds3 slept in the living room for 6 months.

Well this is number 3 for us & we have a 2 bed house!
Our Dd & Ds share a room & have done since ds was 5 months, the only issue we have is they both wake up super early in the morning!

Baby no3 will be in our room, in a perfect world breastfeeding will go well & until baby weans.

I was going to suggest a sofabed or even a chair-bed in the box room. Or we have a sofa bedin our living room if we have any guests

X x

I have a three bed house. At the moment we have our room, second big room is Skyes then the box room is spare room with single bed.

We are going to now move Skye into the box room with new cabin bed etc. Move single bed into her old room and baby will go in there in cot once moves from moses basket.

So my mum will just sleep in there whenever she stays.

I couldnt make them share for the sake of keeping a spare room for occasional visitors xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->