Latex Nipple Shield

Dtswife

Reaction score
When Zoe was born, she wouldn't latch, so I ended up with a nipple shield. I want to wean her off it and have tried taking the shield off in the middle of feeding, giving her my bare nipple when she's sleepy and purchasing the smallest nipple shield medela makes in the hope of getting her used to something a little more true to size. She'll take the small shield about 30% of the time, but will NOT take my bare nipple. She either gets very upset or acts like there's nothing there.

I read a couple places that when nipple shields were made of latex, you could just gradually cut the tip off more and more until there was no more shield and you're all set. The latex shields are still sold in Europe, however, I live in the US and all that's for sale here are the new silicone shields. I can get a shield from the UK, but it's $18 and will take almost a month to get here, so before I buy one, I was wondering if anyone had used this method of getting rid of the nipple shield with any success. Thank you in advance.

Well, I ordered it. I will update this thread with whatever happens, so it's searchable if someone else has the same dilemma.

My baby was addicted to the shield and would never take the breast. But I just found one time of day when she took it (the second morning feed). And she refused the other times. So I fed her in the morning with my breasts, and then just kept offering. We actually switched to bottle from the shield (it started hurting me) an then to bare breats. What helped - spending a few days skin-to-skin naked in bed ALL DAY and giving her my breasts after every hunger cue. It was a lot of work, but I haven't touched the shield in more than a month!

So there is hope. I honestly was convinced that it would be impossible to switch her.

Well, shield came. It's TINY. Like, it would be the perfect size for a guy's nipples. Annoying. So, we'll just keep using the shield and offering bare nipple to see if it ever clicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->