Lego or Duplo for 3 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsN

Reaction score
Hi ladies (and gents)

My little man is 3 in November and I'm going to make him a lego table. Trouble is I dont know whether to get him more duplo to use on it or lego? He currently has some duplo and its aged up to 5 years, but just interested to know what you others have for you LO's.

My head is saying stick with duplo for a little while...

:hugs:

I'd stick with Duplo for another year, esp as you have a baby to think about too, if baby gets a grip of Duplo it's not an issue but some Lego bricks are tiny more easily lost etc. I imagine trying to keep babies away from older siblings toys is a nightmare.
DS will be 4 just after Christmas and I'm just think thinking about getting him a box of basic Lego for Christmas or his birthday.
Remember Duplo and Lego will work together and can be used together.

I'd stick with Duplo for another year, esp as you have a baby to think about too, if baby gets a grip of Duplo it's not an issue but some Lego bricks are tiny more easily lost etc. I imagine trying to keep babies away from older siblings toys is a nightmare.
DS will be 4 just after Christmas and I'm just think thinking about getting him a box of basic Lego for Christmas or his birthday.
Remember Duplo and Lego will work together and can be used together.

Pretty much what I was thinking, thanks :flower:

I'd stick with duplo Isabelle's also 3 in November and still loves her duplo and plays with it everyday. She had a Lego set last month and lost all the bits within a couple of days x

I'd say it depends on the child - hayden is 4 and got his first proper lego set aged 3. He needed a lot of help with it then, but now, with a little help can easily manage the lego sets for 5-12 year olds (although with bigger sets he does get a bit bored part way through the building process and just wants the finished toy to play with!). The lego junior sets are ideal, as they are much simpler. Having said that, we do have to be careful to make sure he builds it on the dining room table, out of his little sister's reach, and picks up any pieces he drops straight away! And he will happily play with her Duplo. We have got him the lego for the sake of longevity, hoping he will get many years of enjoyment from it, but if we had never introduced him to it he would be happy with Duplo for a while yet.

If it was just him, I'd say get some Lego. But you have a young baby too, to think about with choking hazards, so I'd stick with the Dupo for another year. Some new sets with different things I'm sure will keep his interest:)

I wud say duplo. My son who is almost 5 loves his lego but can't take it out when his 2 year old brother is wakened as parts too small plus it's so frustrating when his wee bro wrecks the things he has built. Both my boys loves duplo tho, we have got the two year old the duplo batcave and joker duplo for christmas plus a new car one

my nearly 5 yo still loves duplo. she plays with lego just when dh is around so it's their 'thing' but we have duplo out day to day as it's safer for dd2 and they can play it together when she's a bit bigger. i never had lego as a kid lol, just kept playing duplo!

My 6.5 and 4.5 year olds still prefer Duplo, even though they've had Lego as well for years.

My DS won't really play with Duplo anymore, unless he is at his frends house who doesn't have Lego. At first DD would try to put it in her mouth and DS had to play with it in a different room or when she napped which frustrated him but now she doesn't try to eat it it is all good :)

We are slowly transitioning to Lego, but both my boys still gravitate towards the Duplo first. The Lego Junior sets have been a hit, but they are less likely to do those on their own, as they still get frustrated with the little pieces. Duplo creations slap together fast with those big, chunky, stable pieces. I think they find it really satisfying! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"