living with kids with allergies group

I don't have any kids with allergies but I suffered with a milk intolerance as a child which I grew out of (there is hope for you all!) and still have chronic eczema which, while it used to be all over my body, has now settled to only being on my hands and the odd patch elsewhere (very rare). My milk intolerance as a child also caused infant asthma as well.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I have tried numerous treatments and diets to get rid of my eczema and have in recent years given up aqueous cream (due to SLS) and steroid treatments (due to worries about skin thinning, and things) - only do I very rarely use hydrocortisone and that is when it is really really bad and I try not to use for more than three days at a time and to use the lowest strength cream I can to stop the itch.

A couple of weeks ago I went into Lush and told them I wished to go SLS-free as it was something I hadn't tried before and figured it might make a difference to my skin. I can wear gloves when dealing with cleaning products, but I need to wash my hands multiple times a day, and I also need to wash my hair - Shampoo is the worst offender for SLS. They gave me 8 different samples of products for free and spent over half an hour talking through options with me. So helpful it was amazing.

Anyway, the star contender out of all of the products they gave me to try was a cream called Dream Cream. I had heard it helped other with eczema but didn't really think it would be that good for me as I have eczema on my hands which is very hard to treat (due to having to wash, and not being able to use very greasy emollients if I ever want to be able to use my hands) but I was so surprised. This honestly is the best cream I have ever tried (and believe me I have tried most of them). It makes a lot of sense when you read the ingredients and the first one is oat milk (to stop the itch) as well as having good quality moisturising ingredients like glycerin and rose water. It's £10 for a tub, and I apply it between 6-8 times a day on my hands and you need such a small amount it will last for ages. It works best if you use less in fact. It is a fairly thick cream, that soaks in quite quickly and smells quite floral due to having rose water and lavender oils in it but I don't find the smell off putting. After one day I noticed that my hands had no cracks in the skin, after 2 days they were noticeably softer and more flexible, and after 3 days the redness had calmed down so much (much more than I thought was possible). I now don't feel so embarrassed when people see my hands because I don't look like I have poured boiling hot water over them and they aren't so inflamed or scaly.

It is honestly the best cream I have ever used and I would recommend it to anyone who is at the end of their tether trying to find a good SLS and steroid free cream that is quite natural as well.

https://www.lush.co.uk/shop/product/product&product_id=288

Ingredients:Oat Milk (Avena sativa), Rose Water (Rosa centifolia), Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Glycerine, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria chamomilla), Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), Lavender Oil (Lavandula angustifolia), Cetearyl Alcohol, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Also, if you are looking for baby products that are SLS free, the baby I nanny for uses Mustela products which is a brand fairly difficult, but not impossible to get in the UK, but I find them easy on my eczema and most (not all) are SLS free which is good.

https://www.mustela.com/en/main.html#/baby-products/baby-care

Hope all your babies are ok. I know what it can be like fighting really difficult eczema.

thankyou lemily, we are passing by a Lush (ot two :lol: ) today so i shall go take a look and ask for a sample of dream cream.

we tried dream cream and it did nothing for little man :(

just had MIL on the phone, apparently she has been telling her sister (who is a retired GP) about Little man's milk allergy and she has said she has never heard such a thing and she does see how it is possible blah blah blah

Hi girls. Hi are you doing today? Arcanegirl when is your appointment?

I have emailed the secretary of Katerina's doctor asking her why he asked us to cut wheat from her diet. I am hoping she can get a reply for me. I wanna know why he thinks its necessary. I should have asked there and then but oh well there you go! lol

Any of you had a RAST done for allergies? How long do the results take?

yeah lol she implied I was depriving him of calcium!!

maybe I will bath him in milk tonight and rub butter into him eczema, so what if he wakes up even worse than he is now, at least he will have strong bones!!! :dohh:

So calcium isnt in non dairy foods like broccoli, chickpeas, enriched soya and oat milks :dohh:

Alex has had the RAST test done, it was all negative. I dont know how long it took as we had 6 weeks in between appointments and just got the results at the next one.

Our appointment is at 2pm :)

apparently not lol

I know she will be on the phone right this minute too her sister again as I just informed her we are doing BLW :( I just wish she would support us instead of fighting me every step of the way. The amount of times she has blamed me for his eczema because 'we never had any of these problems in our family so it can't come from our side!'

I feel guilty enough about his suffering as I can't make it better for him without her always pointing the finger of blame at me and the choices I make for him :(

:hugs: i fully understand as i felt like that about my mil aswell.

If she cant be supportive then i just wouldnt go to hers and be very open with why. Also send her lots of info to read, up to her if she reads or not.

I send lots of info to my mil and she is getting there with reading it and getting informed

Can i join???

My beuatiful little girl is 5 months old and was a perfect happy baby for the first 4 months...then suddenly she started being sick after every feed...then refusing the bottle.... i took her off C&G stage 1 and put her iInfasoy but she was still refusing and being sick.

I took her to hospital where they told me she was dehydrated and told me to feed her now...almost in tears...i showed them that she was screaming everytime i put the bottle in her mouth and then she was sick after just 1oz of milk....

So after a week of being on a drip...they gave me some Neocate LCP to put her on....and she absoloutely drained it and kept it down!!!

They are still running tests to see what exactly caused her to be this ill.

I have to see the dietician on the 6th May to see how she is doing regarding the Neocate....

She suffered from really bad eczema from birth...and this is still quite bad...havent found anything useful for it so if anyone can recommend would be gladly appreciated??

Thanks

x

Oilatum??? And i was told by MIL to use talc?!?!?! But i havent used talc!!!

xx

Ohhh no dont use talc! that'll dry out even more!
How often have you been using Oilatum in a day? Whent he skin is at its worst you need to keep moisturising around every hour to help the skin heal.

I've got the bath stuff...so every time she is in the bath...once a day usually....is that too much???

I've got the cream but i was told use one or the other???

xx

Once a day is fine as long as the temperature is not too hot and shes in there not for longer than 10 minutes :)

You can certainly use both, there is no reason not to!

Oh....oopsie!!

Is anything else any good??? The bath stuff doesnt seem to work too well :(

x

The bath stuff wont work by itself, it needs to be used in conjunction with a daily moisturiser.

You could try asking your doctor for diprobase, doublebase or Aveeno, see if any of those help.

Young mummy - neocate has been a life saver for us, he was on the lcp until 18 months and then from then hes been on neocate active. Connor only has a couple of patches of eczema on his arms but we use doublebase on those, our HV was the one who first perscriped the doublebase but since then weve got it from the doc.

AG - hope your appointment goes well x

:hi: YoungMummy. We used Oilatum bath and Oilatum cream but Isobel's skin problems aren't as bad as others here. Glad she looks like shes on the mend. I've also used Aveeno and Weleda Baby Products.

I have an a half supporting MIL. They think its a fad!

Hi and welcome youngmummy! :wave:

NatalieW - I also have a MIL who thinks it's a fad :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back