living with kids with allergies group

Hello all, hope you are all well. So, my LO got the results of his blood tests today. Everything was low or negative except for cashew nuts, which he had quite a high reaction too. So allergist has recommended that we now follow a completely nut free diet and bring him back in 3 months for skin prick tests to check some of the other foods we feel he might be sensitive to (tomatoes, bananas etc) but that might not have shown up on the blood test. When he is 2 the allergist wants to assess when/if to introduce other nuts and look at epi pens etc. LO has never had nuts and I'm so pleased now I never introduced them! I have antihistamines in case he is exposed and gets a mild reaction in the meantime and she explained what to do if a serious reaction happens (scary!!!)
His eczema is really bad at the mo so we also saw the derm nurses too and now he's wet wrapped for the next 48 hours and looks like a mummy bless him. I really feel for him in this heat.
At least I feel like we are getting somewhere though. Hello to all your lovely LO's and hope they are not too itchy :flower:

And Veganmum2be: My hubbys vegan too (I'm veggie) so yeah the nut thing is a bit of a nightmare! My LO has dairy which helps in terms of his diet but I've made my hubby throw away all his nuts and just have them at work. Not easy!

Hi bubbles! I'm sorry the tests didn't really show much, but its good you are getting somewhere. It is sooo hard to figure out some allergies! Maybe a skin prick test will show you more? :shrug:

Hi ladies, thought I'd pop in with a quick update.
We saw the dietician at last and it was a great appointment!
She thinks that looking at Abi's symptoms and the fact that I'm lactose intolerant means that she could be too rather than being allergic to CMP, so we've been told to challenge her with lactose free products and see how she goes. She's also given us her direct number if we need any more advice and to book another appointment after we've tried this.

I'm happy and sad in a way if it is lactose intollerance as it would open up her diet a lot but I'm guessing also that it may be something that she may never grow out of :-( does anyone have any experience of this?

That great you got a good appointment!

I dont have much experience of lactose intollerance sorry :hugs:

Does anyone know if any company/supermarket do a dairy and soya free cheese?

i think redwood do a pea protein cheese, i cant remember the company i seem to think its redwood though.

had gp appontment today been reffered to hospital, it could take 2-3 weeks, he said that they would do skin/blood tests and i'd be prescribed anti histamines/epi pen/piriton after that.
and we'll also be reffered to a dietitian also.

yeah it is redwood

https://www.freefromfoodsmatter.com/new_freefrom_products/redwood_readymeals_cheese_12.10.html

x

Wow this is really interesting!! Thanks for that. Katerina is allergic to dairy and soya I didn't know there were alternatives!!

Hope you get an appointment soon!
:hugs:

your welcome, i tried a taster of the cheese and its alright, i cant really remember fully what cheese tastes like, but in my opinion its better than the soya cheeses available, and are more cheesy!

dont know if you'd heard of worthenshaws freedom, but they are dairy/soya free (and many things free!) they are fab, the 'ice creams' are amazing. she has other products in the pipeline also but hasn't revealed what yet

x

Nope never heard of them either! :dohh: I'm still quite new to this so I haven't done much research yet. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm off to Greece for 2 months next week and I was hoping to get some ice-cream there but I doubt they'll have any! :dohh:

Will definitely be using both websites from when I come back in September! :thumbup:

Yes, the Redwood soya and dairy free cheese is very nice and you can get it in Holland and barrett and many other health food places. You can also get rice based 'cheese' in some bigger health food shops too.

Thanks veganmum, i hope you dont think im stupid asking this but what is the difference between vegan and vegitarian?

Glad you got a referral

no not stupid!
vegans dont use or eat anything from animals dead or alive.
a vegan avoids: meat, dairy, eggs, honey, and the ingredients derived from those things.

x

Arcanegirl can you please add soya and tomatoes allergy for Katerina on 1st page... :nope:

A friend of mine said people who react to tomatoes have usually problems with strawberries and oranges, is this true?

Next to try will be egg, but I'm not feeling positive! :shrug:

oooh is it asdas own? i've not seen that
i know asda sell the worthenshaws freedom ice cream but didnt know they sold their own, unless thats the one you mean?

i have no idea about the tomatoes happyface :shrug: sorry.

x

Happyface, i have heard of tomatoes and strawberries being related with allergies but not oranges.

It is the freedom ice cream :)

I need to open my eyes more, i miss everything in supermarkets

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back