• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

living with kids with allergies group

Last year they were, I think they were rice chocolate. :thumbup: xx

I get chocolate chips/bars from a company called Enjoy Life https://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/baking.php

Their chocolate is all GF/DF/SF! :thumbsup: I used them for christmas baking. xx

You can also just buy lots of specialty chocolate items where I live, but OMG so expensive!!

My OH bought me lots of treats from a company called Orgran. Their products are free of every common allergen.

Regarding people not understanding elimination diets, i had big issues getting my mum to understand and I'm still not sure she does as she keeps buying things I can't eat! The other day I was round there for a roast, but she'd out butter on the potatoes, I couldn't have the yorkshires because of the egg. 'but egg isn't dairy'. 'yes mum, but I'm not eating egg either'. And I narrowly avoided her putting butter on the veg before it was too late. She buys snacks and things and says 'i looked carefully at all the ingredients and I think these are OK' I take one look at the allergy info bit and it says 'contains milk and soy'. Ah well she is trying at least! I do find i have to interigate her about every single ingredient she's put in something. Easier just to eat at home.

Had a funny conversation with a waiter in a restaurant too when I specified that my burger and chips should have no dairy or Mayonaise etc

'oh, are you lactose intolerant?'
'no, it's long story but I think my son has dairy allergies'
'but there's no dairy in mayonnaise'
'he also may have egg issues'
'oh ok. Is the burger for him then?'
'no, it's for me. He's 4 months old and doesn't eat food yet'
'then why can't you eat dairy and egg?'
...and so on. Next time I think I will just say I am the one with allergies!

Khloee - Yes - I found it wayyyyy simpler to say I was the one who couldn't eat dairy than trying to explain I was BF (which always made things instantly awkward) and that casein goes through the milk, etc etc ... People do change the subject fast when you mention BF though! :haha:

On the subject of eggs, I find it hilarious how many people think eggs are dairy. I get it quite often actually where Bun is eating eggs (which he loves) and someone says - "I thought he couldn't have dairy" as if they're busting me. Then I have to explain that dairy and eggs are not the same. So weird!

Thats weird people thinking eggs and dairy are the same! If im not mistaken...eggs come from chickens :lol:

When I was in NYC years ago I had these from a GF vegan bakery and bought their cookbook immediately (Babycakes Bakery). Their chocolate chip cookies are so yummy. And in the summer I put coconut ice cream (DF, GF made with coconut milk) in between the cookies to make ice cream sandwiches and keep them in the freezer. SO yum!

1 cup coconut oil (I use the raw kind)
6 tablespoons applesauce
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp pure vanilla (GF if you need gluten free, or use vanilla bean)
1 cup sugar
2 cups GF flour (I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF flour - amazing, or El Peto GF all-purpose)
1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use enjoy life)

Preheat oven to 325F (around 160C) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment

In a medium bowl, mix the oil, applesauce, salt, vanilla, and sugar. In another bowl, mix the flour, flax meal, baking soda and xanthan gum. Add the dry ingredients to the wet very carefully with a spatula and then fold in the chocolate chips. Use as little stirring as necessary. Scoop the dough onto the baking sheets and press a little if necessary. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, rotating after 9 minutes. Let them cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before removing. The cookies should be crisp on the edges and soft in the centre.

Note: These cookies are gluten free specific. If you don't need them to be GF, subbing the GF flour for regular flour won't work as well as just getting another recipe. The xanthan gum/baking soda/flour combo is what makes these work! xx

These sweet potato pancakes are so so good! Sometimes I make a double batch on the weekend and OH and I eat them for breakfast and I freeze the rest into little pancakes that Bun eats for snacks all week. These were one of the first things that Bun ate regularly and he still likes them, though I don't makes them every week like I used to.

1 cup milk substitute (I use brown rice, almond or coconut milk)
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (or pumpkin or yam or squash - all are delicious!)
1 egg
2 tbsp veg oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use whole spelt or barley)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I use a pinch)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg

Whisk together milk, sweet potato, egg, oil, and vinegar until mixed. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg until blended. Stir flour mixture into wet and mix just until blended. Let batter sit for 5 minutes before cooking - it will make them fluffier.

So so easy and delicious! xxx

So i mentioned about getting some creams from the doctor we had before, before the childrens hospital appointments.

We bought a trial pack from this lady https://www.elenasnaturecollection.co.uk/ after speaking to her on the phone and getting some advice.

She is an ex burns nurse and has done several years research onto skin conditions, eczema etc and developed her ranges.
The NHS approved her work and put 2 of her products avalaible on prescription.

This is the results we had after a couple of weeks use, before we had any dietry changes and before we knew of any allergies.

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/karoline1246/Alexander%2018-24%20months/alexinfield.jpg

I showed the product leaflets to the dermatologist to show what we were using. As expected he had not heard of this range before and advised we stopped using it because of the nut oils in the products.
Alex has never had any reactions to nuts, and i regret taking the dermatologists advise.

AG - you weren't to know. We count on dieticians and doctors knowing what is best for our children. Sometimes it is trial and error. Let's hope the 1% will help and it will clear up once the creams arrive it will make all the difference to Alex now you found the legumes as well as dairy issue. Sainsburys do Kinnerton Eggs for Easter but think they have soy in it.

Buttonnose - we have similar MIL issues. My DH makes sure she caters for Isobel. Insisting its dairy free. Becomes a bit of a hassle nagging but its like we're making this dairy issue up. She did challenge me and ask if we're giving Isobel dairy to see if she has grown out of it. As she's holding onto the quote "90% will grow out of it by the time they're 3" drives me insane. She does get Isobel special dairy free chocs. But easter becomes an issue. I'd much rather her have a book than chocolate.

Sun - thanks for the recipes. Can't wait to trial them :)

Khloee - we take Isobel out regularly for food, restaurants do have good allergy lists now. They break it down into all groups including, egg, dairy and soy. ASK are especially good.

:hi: 24/7

I don't know about joining or not. LO has extreemly sensitive skin. All i can use is a plain aquious cream. He's allergic to most if not all nappy rash creams, and he's allergic to some foods although I'm not 100% sure of all of them yet. I'm unsure of what to do as he has nappy rash atm but everything seems to make it worse. He is very allergic to fish, projectile vomiting when eaten, and some foods seem to give him a rash if he gets them on his skin. I'm a bit lost tbh. I know his allergys aren't that severe but it still can be hard as he has a horrible rash around his mouth constantly! His skin is so sensitive that even pampers sensitive baby wipes set him off. We can thankfuly use huggies pure without an issue. He also suffers from excema, behind his ears. IDK if I'm really able to join here as my sons allergys aren't (or don't appear to be) to anything major. But I could really use some advice on his skin.

Thanks

Alice xx

of course your welcome Lukes_Mummy. Isobel is allergic to all wipes except Simple, Huggies Pure and Johnstons Extra Care. Everything else she reacts to a very sore bottom. She is also allergic to most nappies, especially Pampers. I have to keep to the same make of nappies because if I keep changing them, she gets a sore bottom.

Only two creams that work on her bottom are - Bepanthen and Zinc & Castor. I'm assuming you've tried all these?

Have you been to your GP and asked for a stool sample to be tested for milk intolerance or asked for a paeds referral?

I don't think milk is the problem. Lactose. Its from some kind of veg or food collouring or something i baby food. Things seem a little better since he stopped having jar food. But if he gets certain food on his face is results in a very patchy rash. He often gets fairly soft poos aswell. I wouldn't go so far as to call it diorreah, but its not the usual consistancy for him. They're explosive. With regards to bepanthen, I have an allergy to lanolin and so not only can I not apply it to his skin, but I'm 99% sure that he's inherited this same allergy. I'll have a look at zinc and caster oil, but if it contains lanolin its a no go.

We can't use any products to help clense his skin as he just comes out red, blotchy and sore. I've not been to the gp yet. As I was just unsure of what to do. I'll have to take him and see if i can get some kind of allergy testing done, I'm sure theres something there.

I think Isobel's intolerance is lactose. She has soft not not formed stools. But because we werent tested at beginning we werent to know. There is a group of Lactose-Free Milks, cheese and yogurts out there.

Have a look at this - this is lanolin free nappy cream
https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/nappy-cream-baby-balm-40ml.aspx

Re: bath Try Oilatum, it might help (this can be prescribed) and it is lanolin free too https://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Oilatum-Junior-Bath-Emollient-600ml.html

I would go to GP and discuss your concerns or HV if you have a too one. I personally didn't.

Thank you. I have an appointment with the HV coming up so I'll mention it there. Of course Oilatum! My mum used to have that for me when I was little Duh! THanks for the nappy rash cream I'll get some on order :) x

Lukes mummy, what about tomatoes? They can be quite irritating to the skin, strawberries too. Both are considered alergy foods.

I find if Alex eats something with tomato sauce and he gets the sauce around his face (his problem area) it makes his skin red.
I tend to either wash away the sauce or put a barrier cream on his face before eating so contact is minimal.

With wipes and cleaning faces etc, have you considered cloth wipes? We used these since alex was born and 4 months before we monved onto cloth nappies with him.
They are just made up with water and some essential oils, we do ours with chammomile tea and lavender. Chammomile has good healing properties.

And another bonus is you just wash them! So saves a fortune buying packets of wipes! when weve run out of wipes i put them in the machine and do a mini rinse with no spin and then just chuck in our normal waashing. Simples :D

Hiya, It's Alice btw :)

Hmm tomatoes was my first thought. It's only a skin allergy, the tomatos arent affecting him health wise IYKWIM. Hmm I'd like to use cloth wipes. But somehow I don't think I'd have much Luck turning OH onto the idea. I'll try! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->