looking for a job while pregnant

tillymum

New mom
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm having a bit of a dilema at the moment and need a bit of advice.

I am currently job seaching having recently moved countries and am currenlty 13 weeks pregnant. I am not showing yet but it's only a matter of time.

I have met with two recruitment companies who are job searching for me, I have not told them that I am pregnant as I want to see what work is out there. I have held senior positions in my job but I am in a very niche industry where permanent work is typically all that is on offer rather than temporary /contract work.

I know that legally I do not have to reveal that I'm pregnant but i'm an honest person, yet I know that if I tell them then I'm unlikely to get offered a job.

Should I wait to see if I get a job offer before I tell anyone that I'm pregnant.

Tell the recruitment consultants that I'm pregnant so that they are not put in an akward position. My worry is if I do that they may not put me forward for any jobs, knowing I can only work for another 5-6months.

Go to another agency where I will get temping secretarial work which will pay alot less.

I don't think I am eligible for any maternity cover as we have just moved countries so I would prefer to earn a higher wage while I can and not have a big gap on my cv.

What to do!!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Personally I'd be upfront about the pregnancy but I have a really hard time being deceitful. I do understand why companies don't want to hire pregnant women as alot don't come back and then they have to do the re-hiring bit all over again and that can be quite costly. It might help to discuss your exact plans with the agency and potential employers. Even you have to change your plans - keeping them in the loop will let them know your serious about your job and not just there to collect a paycheck for a couple of months.

I'll let others make the argument for not saying anything right away :)

Either way lots of luck!

I agree - perhaps better to have a (justifiable) gap in your resume & be on good footing afterwards to find a good job again. I assume in a niche market it's a relatively "small" market & people talk - you wouldn't want your reputation to be one of dishonesty.

Good luck!

if u want my honest opinion here..

I was unemployed when i fell pregnant and was looking for a job..as soon as they knew i was preg they told me they wouldn't employ me which is shit i know x

Thanks for your replies. I've decided to tell the recruitment consultants after I have my scan on Friday and see what happens and what they recommend. I think I'll register with some temp agencies next week and take it from there.
Thanks again!

No one will hire you if they know you are pregnant. It is illegal for them to do that, and it makes us feel shitty and guilty when we're hired and DO have to tell... But lets face it, pregnant women need jobs to save up money for mat leave :(

I think it is so unfair.

I had an interview at my current job in feb before I know I was preggo. And they didnt call me for over 3 weeks to tell me I got the job and I just found out THAT week that I was also preggo.

I still havent told them, I was trying to get through the probationary period first... As I know I will soon be showing and will then have to tell.

I had this dilema! I've been waiting pretty much since xmas for a job - a new site is opening and its not starting till 8th June!
I was debating telling them... or waiting until they had offered it me and the n telling them.
Had a call yesterday giving me details and i decided to be honest and they said it was fine they'd just risk assess me!

I think honesty is best policy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->