Lookking for a weaning buddy (April baby)

Future-Sailor

Reaction score
Hello! Is there anyone on here whose baby was born end of April. My boy was born on 30 April and we've been weaning for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm mostly doing purees at the moment....just because that's what I did with my oldest daughter. But I am really tempted to try BLW - because I get the impression my son really wants to explore food and wants to self feed. Only problem is I am clueless about BLW and looking for some support or someone to share the journey with on a regular basis. I lack complete confidence because I am really worried about him chocking.

So is there anyone out there who'd like to share their BLW journey with me?

Thanks!

My DD was born on the 22nd. I'm doing BLW and I did BLW with my DS as well. She's taking to it really well, definitely getting food in judging by her nappies and is currently working on her pincer grip. She managed to pick up a pea with her thumb and forefinger yesterday and get it in her mouth. Current favourites are carrots, new potatoes, pear and toast, toast and more toast!

Can I join? My son was born on the 17th and we are doing a mixture but I am also terrified of choking. So far we have tried: rice cakes (a good starter as they turn to mush when they mix with saliva), bits of banana, crumpets, toast with unsalted butter and a bit of pear...that one scared me though as he bit a chunk off. No proper gagging episodes yet.

He's just had a cold and is refusing more than a few mouthfuls of anything at the moment. Very frustrating!

Have you done a baby first aid course? It might help ease your mind. Just remember gagging is noisy and that's when you sit on your hands and let them work it out.

Hello thank you for your replies!! We've been taking it really easy - some days only managing one meal due to other things going on.

Been doing purees - and offering toast fingers which my boy seems to gag on....I just hate watching him go thru it hence why i'm reluctant to offer finger foods. Going to try some rice cakes next.

I gave my DD some omelette the other day and she almost had my hand off! She's also discovered strawberries.

We had a little bout of illness and struggled to get back in the swing of things. Now I feel like we've been doing puréed food forever. Generally he is eating well but then will have some days where he refuses almost everything and I can't figure out why. It's so frustrating! Tried him with sticks of broccoli and rice cake today, both got refused. But then he refused most of his dinner too which was puréed stew which he's had before and loves! Still trying to do 3 meals each day to keep the routine of it up

We had a little bout of illness and struggled to get back in the swing of things. Now I feel like we've been doing puréed food forever. Generally he is eating well but then will have some days where he refuses almost everything and I can't figure out why. It's so frustrating! Tried him with sticks of broccoli and rice cake today, both got refused. But then he refused most of his dinner too which was puréed stew which he's had before and loves! Still trying to do 3 meals each day to keep the routine of it up

He's still so young, as long as he's still having his milk he'll be fine. The worst thing you can do is get frustrated by it, he'll pick up on it and won't want to play any more. Mine is refusing some foods today but I know her teeth are hurting.

You are both so brave!! I'm really struggling to overcome the anxiety I have with fingers foods....I only offer when my husband is around just in case anything bad happens!

Could you share your weaning 'routines' with me please.

Are you girls bf?

My boy seems to enjoy food but gets frustrated easily when I try to spoon feed him.

I'm breastfeeding. She gets fed on demand and I try and give her a feed before her meals. She has breakfast at about 7, normally cereal soaked in milk and some of daddy's toast. Lunch is about 12 if we're home and she's awake. Tea is at 6, we all eat together.

I gave her a rice cake as a snack today as we had a friend and her 20 month old over and I couldn't give him snacks and not her.

I'm enjoying it more this time around as I was a bit nervous with DS but he came out of it alright. I'm just too lazy to purée things!

So tonight we had a breakthrough!! LO had some finger food!!! Steamed broccoli and carrot. Not very exciting buy he loved it!! I was really nervous but my husband was so calm supervising.

Do you think I could give him some steamed fish? What other steamed veg could we try? Xx

Don't worry when my little man was ill he refused all foods as well. Just keep offering xx

courgette, peppers, baby sweetcorn. Sweet potato is also good, as well as green beans. Mine also likes new potatoes.

We haven't done fish as we're veggie but as long as you check for bones and make sure it's not a high Mercury fish you should be good to go

So how's everyone getting on with weaning? My LO has a cold at the moment so meal times can be a really hit and miss! He normally has his breakfast ok but then either has lunch or dinner. Do you find that your babies miss a meal most of the time?

Could you share your daily 'routines' with me and how many milk feeds your babies have x

Yes mine often misses lunch because she's asleep. I don't have a routine for milk, she just feeds on demand which is still at least five times in the day and three night feeds. I give her breakfast when she wakes up, tea at 6pm and she normally misses lunch but if she's awake it's at midday. She's started to have a snack at 10am and sometimes at 3pm.

How's everyone doing?

My son has been reducing breastfeeds dramatically which I assume is due to increased food intake. Spoon feeding has been challenging. He seems to eat well and loads if he has food to play with at the same time and it's worrying that his milk intake has reduced and he's not even 8 months old yet. So I've decided to put spoon feeding on hold and try him on finger food and some blw instead. Hope it's not too late to introduce it now.

He had toast for lunch and chilli con carne with rice for dinner. Going to give him pasta to try tomorrow. I'm still very cautious about hard foods but happy for him to try anything soft.

Sounds like you're doing well. My DD is increasing the amount of food going in. She was downing chunks of nectarine yesterday. Can't wait for her to have her first Christmas dinner!

How do you serve nectarine? And strawberry?

Tried my baby with organix rice cakes but he doesn't like them much :( which ones does your baby like?

I'm looking forward to my baby eating with us tomorrow as well. How should I serve brussle sprouts and roast potatoes?

Have a great Xmas!!!

Nectarine I chop into segments with the skin still on. Strawberries in half or quarters.

Probably too late now but I cut Brussels in half and roast potatoes in quarters or half depending on size

Hope you've had a lovely day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->