making up bottles?

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
hi, ive posted about this before but im still confused.

im going to bottle feed but just need some advice on making up bottles.

i know you are not ment to make up the days bottles before hand and that your ment to make them up when you need them, thats fine with me but how do all of you that are bottle feeding make up your bottles?

do you,
* boil the kettle and make up each bottle when needed.
* make up bottles with just boiled water then add the formula when needed (i dont know if you can do this,how you can store the water.i want to do it this way)
* have a flask of boiled water with you so when you need to make a bottle you have pre boiled water already.
* others.

i dont want to make up the days bottles (adding formula to water then storing in fridge) but i wanted to make up the days bottles with just water so all i need to do is add the formula.

BUT
is this ok to do?
how do i store the water/bottles? (can i store in fridge?)

im so confused.
i know how to make up a bottle i.e. how many scoops of formula to water.

can any of you help me?

thanks x x

I store about 6 bottles with boiled water in the fridge. Then when she needs a fed i warm up the water and add the formula.

I bought tommee tippee dispensers so that i can measure out the scoops in advance. So literally all i have to do is pour in the formula as i have already measured it out.

https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_milk_powder_dispensers_pack_of_3_/

xx

yes that how i want to do it, i didnt know if you could store boiled water in the fridge but then there cant be any harm.

i was gonna ask how long the water would keep in the fridge but if your only making up 6 bottles of boiled water it wont take long to use them all up.

ive got the avent milk dispenser.

you can store the boiled water in the fridge, but then unless it is boiling it doesnt sterelise the powder and you cant boil it again due to minerals, or some sort.

I make up the milk with boiling water, less than 30 mins old, and store the milk in the fridge. It's ok for 24 hrs.

the advice these days is conflicting. a short time ago the advice was different and people were keeping the water in the fridge.

then they said that some bottle release a gas when boiling water is added. Some bottles have this chemical some dont.

I suggest you just find your own way, we all have our different ways, and what is easier for you may be different

good luck though.

i sometimes feel that it is difficult to find advice on bottle feeding, cos its all breast breast breast :wacko:

you can store the boiled water in the fridge, but then unless it is boiling it doesnt sterelise the powder and you cant boil it again due to minerals, or some sort.

I make up the milk with boiling water, less than 30 mins old, and store the milk in the fridge. It's ok for 24 hrs.

the advice these days is conflicting. a short time ago the advice was different and people were keeping the water in the fridge.

then they said that some bottle release a gas when boiling water is added. Some bottles have this chemical some dont.

I suggest you just find your own way, we all have our different ways, and what is easier for you may be different

good luck though.

i sometimes feel that it is difficult to find advice on bottle feeding, cos its all breast breast breast :wacko:

so does that water need to be boiling before you add the formula to sterlixe it? i wouldnt reboil the water once it has been boiled but will heat up in a bottle warmer,is that ok?
i think they should be as much advice on bottle feeding as breast feeding,just because we choose to bottle feed it doesnt mean we dont love/care for our LO's.
i think bottle feeding mummys need more advice than breast feeding mummys just beacaue there is more chance or something going wrong i.e. milk going off, sterlizing bottles and boiling water.
it seems like that if your bottle feeding you just make it up as you go along,and i dont think that should be the case.

i absolutly agree.

a bottle warmer is fine (I'm naughty, I use the microwave. It's been fine, i just make sure I give it a good shake and leave it to stand for a bit.)

mixing the powder with boiled water sterelises it, so long as the boiled water is no older than 30 mins, after which the temp drops lower than 70 degrees.

sorry if im being dumb.

so if i boil the kettle leave to cool for 20 mins(say)then poor into bottles then put into fridge, then will that be ok when i come to add the formula when baby needs a feed.

I've stopped making up bottles before because she was SO sick with them. I make them up when she wants them now. It only takes a few minutes longer and she is much happier. However, I found it so hard at the beginning and did make a few up at a time.

This is how I did it anyway:

I sterilise the bottles while the kettles on, so by the time the bottles are sterilised the water has been cooling down for 10-15 minutes. Then I make up the bottles, water & powder. (Usually make 2-3 bottles at a time.) Leave them to cool then stick them in the fridge. Warm them up in a jug of boiling water when she wants one.

I've stopped making up bottles before because she was SO sick with them. I make them up when she wants them now. It only takes a few minutes longer and she is much happier. However, I found it so hard at the beginning and did make a few up at a time.

This is how I did it anyway:

so now do you just have the water ready in the bottles and then add the formula when she needs a feed?
or do you make every bottle from scratch i.e. boil the kettle when she needs a feed?

From scratch. She is quite good at waiting though. She knows after she's told me what she wants she will get it. She sucks her thumb and chews her fingers while she waits. If she was screaming at me constantly I wouldn't want to be making them up from scratch.

sorry if im being dumb.

so if i boil the kettle leave to cool for 20 mins(say)then poor into bottles then put into fridge, then will that be ok when i come to add the formula when baby needs a feed.

no

when you put the water in the fridge it goes cold. Cold water wont sterelise the powder.

but like I said, you will find your way to do it. As Toria said, she cant make the milk cos her baby doesnt like it like that. everyone is defferent.

you'll find your way :hugs:

so are you saying that i cant make up 6 bottles with boiled water then store them in the fridge and then when baby needs a feed i can just add the formula.

i dont understand. sorry x x

so are you saying that i cant make up 6 bottles with boiled water then store them in the fridge and then when baby needs a feed i can just add the formula.

i dont understand. sorry x x

you can

some people do, and it was the advice before.

I'm just saying that the new advice is - add the powder to hot/boiled water so the heat of the water sterelises the powder/milk.
When Toria says she make up a new one at every feed, I think she means she boils the kettle, adds the powder and cools it under the cold water tap (with the top on ;))

good luck :D

right, so does the milk need to be sterlized then or is it ok if it isnt?

sorry you must of had enough of me by now.

I dunnow hun.

I suppose it's up to you.

I prefer to have it sterile, just 'cos I don't likt to think of what might go on in the factory. If you know what I mean ;)

I'm sure their factories are clean, I just like to be sure. :wacko:

ok thank you, like you said ill find my own way.

but this is why we need more info and advice on bottle feeding.
why do they do breastfeeding classes but not bottle feeding classes?
i thought that breastfeeding was the natural thing to do but they have classes on how to but bottle feeding they dont seemed to be bothere about us mummys that are bottle feeding.

I know

your absoluty right. It is kind of like keeping us in the dark

your health visitor whould be in the know though
:hugs:

well i have asked my midwife about how to make up bottles but she always comes back to breast feeding but that doesnt help me coz im bottle feeding not breastfeeding.

it just seems like they go on about what you can and what you cant do when it comes to bottle feeding but dont want to give use a proper answer, i dont think we should have to just guess how to do it when there is a chance the milk can go off etc. x

When I was PG I was told to make each new bottle up when needed. Adding boiling water, powder and then cool under a tap!!!

Only a few months before I was advised to make up 24 hours worth of feeds but without adding the formula.

This is what I've done & still do now & have never had a problem and Noah has never had a tummy bug............

6 x sterilised bottles, add boiling water and leave to cool at room temp(on the kitchen worktop). Add formula when bottle needed and give the bottle at room temp. Is brill for in the middle of the night when LO needs feeding.......just add formula & off you go!

I find this is so much easier for all of us, we don't panic to make up a bottle when Noah needs one and there's no risk of giving it too hot!
When we go out all I take is the bottle of water and formula in a dispenser which holds 3 feeds. £4.50 boots & tesco. No asking for hot water either.

https://www.boots.com/images/product/1059518/ehero.jpg

I would do what works best & fits in with your lifestyle! Everyones got their own ways & health visitors have to advise what the Government health advises which isn't always the best option for you.

Good Luck xx

Im confused over all this myself, as with my first i made 6 bottles at time.

I had my home visit from the health vistor last week and she said the boiled water needs to be hot to kill any bateria in the milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->