Manual Handling at work...when to tell Manager?

xxMichellexx

Reaction score
Hi, I am very early stages of pregnancy (just found out today) I work as a charge nurse in a female forensic mental health unit. I do have a dangerous job at times and have been assaulted a couple of times...I am aware they will move me to another area of the hospital but I believe this will be when I am showing.

We can often be involved in restrains with patients so obviously I will now not do those due to risk.

We do have a bariatric patient in a wheelchair who needs a lot of support to get in/out of bed, pushing wheelchair etc. I am a manual handling trainer for my trust so know the techniques just not sure what to do now pregnant (I feel it is not an issue)

Question is when to tell my manager/my colleagues? In a normal setting I could keep it a secret but due to protection do you feel it’s best to say something straight away to formulate a plan? I am not in work till Wednesday so can have a little think just wanted to get some advice.

Thanks in advance xx

Congratulations! Personally, I would mention it to your manager. They will be sure to keep you safe that way. My husband works in the same field, and i know how quickly a situation can escalate. Better to be safe than sorry.

True, I feel its better that my colleagues know because then they are more aware of me having to be extra safe, if one of my colleagues was pregnant i would rather know so i could support! I just dont want it to seem like i am trying to get out of doing things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->