MARCH 2014 Monkeys! - Please join if you're due in March 2014

Went for my first u/s at 11 weeks they told me I was actually 10+6 and that they wouldn't be able to do the NT scan as the foetus needed to be bigger, so they rescheduled for 13+5 which was today. We couldn't have an appointment at 12 weeks as we got married and were on honeymoon. However, we were assured that a test at 13+5 would be no problem, so we didn't worry and turned up today for our scan.

Today 13+5 (according to dating scan) we were told that they couldn't do the NT combined test as it was too late and also due to position of the foetus. The good news is that the baby is looking good, all checks done show a healthy foetus. The bad news is that we are booked in for a quadruple scan in two weeks time which we were told today has only 65% accuracy of detecting Down's syndrome. This means that over a third of Down's pregnancies would remain undetected using this method of screening. Not good enough for me, I am 37 and my OH is 45 so the risk is real.

Therefore, we decided to book in at the Portland Hospital in London who I have an appointment with tomorrow morning to do the Harmony test which is over 99% accurate at detecting Down's. it's non-invasive and has no risk to mother or foetus. They charge £600 which is bad, but this also includes an ultrasound. When I rang them they said they will also do the NT scan for me tomorrow and the combined blood test (in addition to sending blood to California for the Harmony test) as they do the NT test until 14+1.

Whilst £600 is a lot of money, the consequences of a false negative are much more costly to us no matter how small the risk overall. We are effectively paying for peace of mind.

I don't understand the 'too late' comment at 13+5.. that was how far I was with my daughter at my first scan and I had the screening. Maybe it differs at different hospitals, or the position was more of an issue.

Hope you get your peace of mind :hugs:

Edit: just seen that other hospital will do it to 14+1 :wacko: crazy they're all different

So weird. I think all pregnancy websites say they can do it up until 13+6 but I guess it depends on what kind of machine each hospital has. Either way, my baby was laying in a bad position for them to see the nuchal fold so they used the wand (and me emptying my bladder) to coax the baby to turn into a good position and were able to get the shot.

I wonder if we should have asked to speak to a senior sonographer today and not just accepted that it could not be done. Too late now :(

on the foetal lie part, our little one wasn't cooperating either so they switched to an internal US and got the measurement easily. I have the quad screening at 18 weeks too just to recheck baby's measurements and compare. The blood test is the more definitive part from what our dr told us.

Hi ladies.

I haven't posted in a while but, I wanted to let you all know, my little nugget stopped growing at 7w3d. :cry: I went for an appointment with my doc last Thursday and she couldn't find a heartbeat with the doppler so she sent me for an u/s. Baby measured 7w3d and had no heartbeat. :nope: The u/s pictures showed bloodflow into the umbilical cord, but it stopped before reaching baby. Probably a blood clot in the umbilical cord that caused it. :nope: I am scheduled for a D&C on Friday. :cry:

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have a speedy recovery and just put your feet up and take care of yourself.

Went for my first u/s at 11 weeks they told me I was actually 10+6 and that they wouldn't be able to do the NT scan as the foetus needed to be bigger, so they rescheduled for 13+5 which was today. We couldn't have an appointment at 12 weeks as we got married and were on honeymoon. However, we were assured that a test at 13+5 would be no problem, so we didn't worry and turned up today for our scan.

Today 13+5 (according to dating scan) we were told that they couldn't do the NT combined test as it was too late and also due to position of the foetus. The good news is that the baby is looking good, all checks done show a healthy foetus. The bad news is that we are booked in for a quadruple scan in two weeks time which we were told today has only 65% accuracy of detecting Down's syndrome. This means that over a third of Down's pregnancies would remain undetected using this method of screening. Not good enough for me, I am 37 and my OH is 45 so the risk is real.

Therefore, we decided to book in at the Portland Hospital in London who I have an appointment with tomorrow morning to do the Harmony test which is over 99% accurate at detecting Down's. it's non-invasive and has no risk to mother or foetus. They charge £600 which is bad, but this also includes an ultrasound. When I rang them they said they will also do the NT scan for me tomorrow and the combined blood test (in addition to sending blood to California for the Harmony test) as they do the NT test until 14+1.

Whilst £600 is a lot of money, the consequences of a false negative are much more costly to us no matter how small the risk overall. We are effectively paying for peace of mind.

Info for Harmony for those interested: https://www.theportlandhospital.com/uploads/maternity/harmony_test.pdf

That sucks. I think it varies from place to place, but I'm glad your having a Harmony test. Will you also be finding out the gender from this test? I know they say age if more likely to cause Down's but all the older people I know had healthy babies. The couple of children with Down's that I know of are with parents are around the same age as me. So with that, I'm sure everything will be fine :)

Minnie - I am so sorry for your loss, hope you are okay xxx

Claire - that is crazy about your NT scan, I was 13+5 at mine; and baby was in an impossible lie -sonographer had me empty my bladder, which didn't really help and then cough and baby flipped around.

£600 Is a lot of money (even though you are glad to pay if for peace of mind) and it is ridiculous that both scan dates they gave you were ineffective.

xxx

I'm making an effort to eat healthier. My MS has caused some bad habits that have included me eating whatever to take the edge off my nausea (cheetos for breakfast, super healthy right) but I think while those habits do keep the nausea at bay, they also sincerely make me feel like crap otherwise. So far so good today...hopefully I can keep it up despite feeling like I'm going to throw up every time I even look at a piece of fruit :(

So I had the NT scan today, sonographer this time was persistent even though baby was in an awkward position again. Finally got the good snaps, measurement is 2.6mm and within normal ranges. Blood was taken for the Harmony test too. Feel so much better now :thumbup:

Also, my morning sickness has been back again today, don't know if it's because I've been a bit preoccupied and not been snacking regularly or something else.

And.... Sonographer thinks its a girl. Harmony would tell but this hospital don't tell you outcome as they would have to counsel you for XY (sex) chromosomal disorders before sending sample.

Found out today that we are team :pink:

Also can you change my EDD from 8 March to 6 March? Thanks!!

I'm so entertained by this so I thought I'd share. This is baby #3 for me (6th pregnancy) and I love to compare bump pictures between my pregnancies. Well the first belly picture I took in my first pregnancy was at 14 weeks so I compared pictures at 14 weeks from all 3 pregnancies.

Left to right: 1st pregnancy, 2nd pregnancy, this pregnancy (not including miscarriages, obviously.) All at 14 weeks. I can't stop laughing at the difference between my first pregnancy and now.

Attachments

• 14 weeks pregnant.jpg
    14 weeks pregnant.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 8
Please can my EDD be changed to 23rd March, thanks

https://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t449/Cezza_B/20130911_100150_zps3112d13c.jpg

Morning girls, how are u all.
I can't believe I'm 16 weeks pregnant today! :) going so fast ! I can't wait to feel baby properly . Shudnt I be feeling them move by now ? I think I've felt little things bt nothing major.

I'm an avocado now x

Im the same 16 weeks on sunday and not really feeling much. Got my 16 week appointment tomorrow. Does anyone know what they do at that appointment. Last time I had it at the womans centre at the hospital and she basically just told me what I should be eating. Its at my drs this time do you think she will listen to the heart beat x x

Found out today that we are team :pink:

Also can you change my EDD from 8 March to 6 March? Thanks!!

Yay congrats on your girl xx Is anyone keeping track of what everyone is having? Seems to have been a lot of girls, but maybe I am getting confused with cross posts lol :wacko::wacko:

Morning girls, how are u all.
I can't believe I'm 16 weeks pregnant today! :) going so fast ! I can't wait to feel baby properly . Shudnt I be feeling them move by now ? I think I've felt little things bt nothing major.

I'm an avocado now x

Congrats on 16weeks and your avocado :happydance: I haven't had any movement yet either -thought maybe I did one day but hasn't happened again so I don't think it was baby. I felt number 4 at 16 weeks exactly , so hopefully very soon for you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->