May 2013 Babies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy After A Loss' started by mummy to be, Aug 26, 2012.

1. padbrat

padbrat My Rainbow is Born x

Eeep! Hubby just told me he is away a couple of weeks in July, from the end of Aug to beginning of Oct and then the whole of Nov!!!

Sometimes I hate his job! Am absolutely dreading being completely alone with no Husband for so long!

2. manuiti

manuiti Very cautiously PAL

Thanks Mighty, that made me feel much better. :thumbup:

:hugs: Pad, gotta love the Forces and their impeccable sense of timing. Aaaargh! My hubby's planning to go back to work in September. We can be husband-less together. :wacko:

How are things Iluv?

We had a pretty good night last night with the wee man only waking twice between midnight & 7 to eat. It's just the delicate balance with him having enough milk, not falling asleep having it & then not spitting up too much of it.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. :hugs:

3. MightyMom

MightyMom Mum of TWO amazing babes!

We had a good night too! He only woke every 4 hours, it was so nice! I feel like I'm getting so much sleep now, even though it's interrupted sleep it still feels like a good full night of sleep.
    We had a thunderstorm last night, lots of lightning and rain. But today it's almost 80 degrees F! So hot and muggy, yuck. Lots of air conditioning in the car, and I threw my handsewn car seat cooler on DD's seat to see how it works. Can't wait to see if it keeps the seat cool after being in the sun all day!

4. ILuvBabies200

ILuvBabies200 Well-Known Member

Oh pad I'd be freaking out!!!! :(

Things are okay here. He has a weight check tomorrow to make sure he's past birth weight. He definitely looks chunkier! Still rough at night though. I'm exhausted. Took all 3 kids alone tonight to dinner and Walmart. Crazy!!!

5. padbrat

I am freaking out ILuv!

Manu will your Hubby be working away? How long for? It sucks big style doesn't it!

I have to say Leo had a good night too.... must be in sync with Colton eh Mighty! He cried from 11pm to 11.40pm and then went to sleep until 5.10am! Wahooo! Good job lil man! We then woke up at 8.20 and had a feed and a play until 10.00am and then back to sleep until 12.00 when it is feed time again!

Plus he is now growing out of his new born and tiny baby clothes... he is now moving into 0-3 months and is weighing 8lb 1 now! The greedy monkey is now taking 4.5-5 oz a feed... Health Visitor says he is a little baby desperate to be a big baby real quick!

6. MightyMom

LOL Pad! I think they must be texting each other. ;) Colton had a bit of a cry last night, which is unusual for him. but I accidentally drank some full-leaded (i.e. caffeinated) tea before bed so poor thing must have been all jittery. Took a bit to get him to sleep but once he was down, he slept through until 10am with feedings every 2 hours or so. He just wakes, feeds, then goes right back to sleep. Even sleeps through changing the diapers. Makes it nice, I'm not awake for long when he feeds, just long enough to check the timer to see how long it's been then get him latched. Then I'm back asleep.

Don't worry about being alone with the baby when your DH leaves. You can do it! It's not too overwhelming. Just establish a routine now, that really helps. And don't be afraid to rest when you need it. The evenings can be trying times, and patience is at a minimum, but try to focus on the most important things first. Pot boiling and baby crying? Take care of the pot, then tend to the baby. They won't hate you for a two minute delay.

7. manuiti

Hehe my little man is out of newborn clothes & nappies too and on to 0-3 month. He's taking between 90-150mls when his Daddy feeds him with expressed milk & he's latched onto me for between 5-30 mins when I breastfeeding him. And his little thighs are getting lovely and chubby now. :)

Yeah Pad, hubby's on the private circuit out in the sand pit but decided to take self financed paternity leave while baby's very little. When he's working he does rotations of 9 weeks away & 3 at home.

8. ILuvBabies200

Bennett had a 2 week check-up Friday. 7 lbs!!! Little chunk gained a pound in 2 weeks! :) He is still only sleeping 2 hours at a time. It's hard. Doing good though! :)

9. padbrat

Mighty I guess your calmness and confidence comes with experience... I do not feel calm or confident going it alone! There are so many things I still need to practice doing that I haven't been able to due to the c section, like getting the pram in and out of the car that I rely on Hubby to do. I guess I am just a little overwhelmed with the idea of being completely solo... but you are of course right.

Manu so when is Hubby next away then?

Good on ya Bennett! Doing well lil man!

10. MightyMom

It's normal to feel that way. :) I've been doing mom-duty solo for only two weeks, and some days are better than others. It's by no means easy, but it is doable. I just hope that hearing another mom has done it helps a little bit. I'll keep saying it: You can do it! :)

11. padbrat

Thank you Mighty. It has to be doable... there is no other choice! We will get through it I am sure.

12. manuiti

We can all do it. :hugs: I'm with you on the relying on hubby post csection Pad, he's doing all the pram & heavy lifting etc too. We're looking at him going back to work September sometime but we'll have to see how it goes.

Mighty, thanks for being so positive & calm about it all, you do make it seem doable. :flower:

I do love our little support group, you're all awesome!!!

13. ILuvBabies200

Bennett did not sleep at all last night. Fussing from 12 am-8 am. Oh Lord I can't do another night of this! Zzzzz

14. Tournesol

Tournesol 1 angel 1 rainbow

Wow, you lucky duckies with sleepy babies! Jack is still only sleeping for 2 hours at a time, 3 at most and only if he's with me. That's in bed with me at night, or in my arms during the day, which means I don't get a lot done!
    Sometimes I can put him in his basket if he's really sound asleep and then he'll stay there for a while, but usually he just wakes up.
    Yawn, I hope he grows out of this soon, I really don't sleep well at all when he's in bed with me, I'm so scared I'll squash him!!

15. ILuvBabies200

Tour-Same here with nothing done and no sleep! I'm having constant headaches from the exhaustion. Of course he's worth it but we need to be on the same schedule. :)

16. cgav1424

cgav1424 Completed our family of 5

Aw ladies... trust me and trust your yummy mummy instinct... you'll be able to get through without the men just fine! My first day without DH with all three kids was terrifying, but it was the worst day. :) We managed and found our rhythm quite quickly, really. It helps that DD and DS are older and 100% understand and accept how much Annabel needs their mommy right now. Once you've made it through the first day, it'll be like old hat to you... I promise.

Tour and Iluv - I'm sorry your LO are giving you a tough go. Remember that it's only temporary. Also, I'm sure I'll get tons of back lash for this, but after feeding Annie, I burp her, keep her upright and in my arms until she's good and sleepy and then put her on her tummy to sleep for a bit. We have the co-sleeper that rests between me and DH on the bed so this is only during the day and only when I know I'll be staying in bed to be able to watch her while I return emails, read, go on BnB, etc. They sleep better on their tummies plus this helps to eliminate whatever gas you couldn't get out while burping. At night, I put her on her tummy to fall asleep but then roll her over onto her back once she's settled in. Also, during the day, I count this as her tummy time. Her neck is already so strong. She lifts her head and can turn it form side to side when she's on her tummy now. Of course, it's not for everyone and I know the importance of the "Back to Sleep" campaign... just wanted to share what I've done.

Quick question since our babies are all around the same age: Annie will be 5 weeks tomorrow. When we were in the hospital, she had an episode the night she was born. (She was born at 3:51 pm and this happened around 11 pm that night.) We were attempting to breast feed and I noticed she was still so I gathered her in my arms and realized she wasn't breathing. I jostled her gently and she took a deep breath and started crying. I immediately called for the nurse and she took her to the nursery to take her blood sugar and put her on a pulse ox for 10 minutes. Everything ended up being normal. However, the nurse put in a call to the ped who suggested the baby stay in the nursery all night hooked up to a pulse ox. Her O2 levels were perfect all night and the ped decided she just "forgot to breathe." I accepted this the first night of her life and even when it happened in the first couple of weeks. She was born at 38 weeks and was itty bitty at 5 lbs 12 oz so maybe her respiratory system just wasn't mature since she was also being monitored for slow growth while in utero. But now at almost 5 weeks, it's getting a little difficult for me to justify. It only happens when she's nursing. She'll usually choke, cough a little bit then forget to inhale. These episodes don't bother me as much because I think my letdown is a little strong for her so she ends up choking. However, the other night, she didn't choke... she just sort of came off my nipple. I thought she was done and fell asleep so I shifted her to my shoulder to burp her and noticed she was really still again. I brought her down from my shoulder and continued to jostle her until she remembered to breathe again. After doing some research, apparently, I'm supposed to blow in her face since the carbon dioxide I'm breathing out will remind her to take inhale again. It couldn't have been longer than 10 seconds, but of course... it felt like 10 days. Her coloring never changes and she stays pink... it just scares the living crap out of me! So, I was wondering if any of my fellow May babies have had this happen? I'll be calling her ped tomorrow, but just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone's had any experience with it.

17. ILuvBabies200

That's really scary! Definitely get advice from the ped. I would hate to see something happen to her at night when you aren't awake. Could it be reflux? Babies tend to stop breathing to prevent the pain.

18. Tournesol

Thanks cgav, I tend to do the same as you, nurse, burp, hold upright for a bit, then I let him fall asleep on his tummy, but on my chest before I move him into his basket. Then he inevitably wakes up when he realises where he is! :haha:
    The co sleeper is a good idea, I might look into one of those, I'm still so scared I'll roll on him or a pillow will fall on his face.

Cgav, that is so scary! Definitely ask the ped. It sounds like sleep apnoea, but I have no idea if babies get that.

Today I am going to try expressing some milk so that DH can do some feeding too. Wish me luck!

19. Tournesol

20. padbrat

Cgav Leo does the same. He was 37+5 and weighed 5lb 13 when born. He has only done it a couple of times and it is like he has a bit too much milk and holds his breath for a few secs before coughing. I put it down to him being a bit of a piggy when feeding and it only lasts a few secs. He breathes just fine at all other times. I think it is something they will just grow out of once their systems all mature a bit more as they were a little early.

Tour and ILuv we had the same issue with Leo... hoping he would fall asleep on me and then tip toe him to his bassinet and then gentle lower him in... and he would cry! My MW was round for a check once when it happened and I was just about to pick him up and comfort him and she told me to sit down and leave him alone. I looked at her like she was mad and she said... just leave him for 10 mins in his bassinet, so long as he is clean and fed and winded and see what happens... so I did... it was HARD.... and low and behold he shouted for 5 mins and then fell asleep.....

Now he goes in every time... whinges for 30 secs and then sleeps! Give it a try!