May Emeralds 2014! :)

Weeeee 28 weeks! Happy 28 week magic ;-)

Who's cloth bumming?

i am still debating on it :/ i tried for a month with DD when she was about 6 months half heartadly but it just seems a minefield and no idea where to start properly!

I've done so much research into pocket nappies. So it's a waterproof outer (it's soft not like a PVC bin bag! :haha:) with a microfibre/bamboo material on the inside, with a pocket underneath to put inserts made of the materials I've just said.
These ones seem straight forward to me! You just use liners if you need to use barrier cream as it clogs up the material.

Wish I had done more research before pregnant! I would have been buying nappies and stocking up! :dohh:

there the type i bought for DD think they were tots bots but they just didnt seem to fit right or hold as much but knowing me i was prob doing it wrong lol!

I guess I have a D bump? :shrug:

We cloth diapered both our kids so it won't be any different with this one! With my oldest he hadn't worn a disposable in over a year and half at one point. We potty trained him at 23 months. Our 15 month old is in cloth full time besides bed time. He's an extreme heavy wetter the last few months where he literally pees through every brand disposable and a ton of combination cloth. I hate that we use disposables but it's the easiest to get off in the middle of night to quickly change him. So even though he sleeps overnight I still have to get up to change his overnight disposable diaper or he'll pee the bed :nope: hopefully with this baby there will be no use for disposables. They really give me the creeps :haha: like how people feel about cloth once you start cloth you start getting grossed out by disposables. Mostly their smell and the chemical beads in them to turn pee to goo. I see why people like them but I love fluffy bums :)

It's really not as gross as people think. Changing a poopy diaper regardless of diaper kind is gross. And newborn poo/breast fed poo does not need to be cleaned out of diaper as it's not solid and water soluble. So that's easy. Then when they start solids poos start becoming solid so I can just put diaper over toliet and poo falls right off :haha: and as always changing your own kids poo is different. I have an in home daycare so I change poopy diapers of other kids and want to die every time! :haha: but my own doesn't phase me at all.

They also say its easier to potty train cloth kids over disposable.. I forget why though :shrug: our first was potty trained at 23 months on the first try and our 15 month old is well on his way! We haven't tried potty training him but watching big bro and kids I have in care he knows all the steps but only tells you he needs to poop not pee. He pees every time you put him on potty he just won't tell you he needs to :) so in the last month I haven't had to clean any of his poopy diapers as he'll come and say proudly "I go poo!" And you take him and he poops! So hopefully by 2 with him we'll be back at only one in diapers :winkwink:

ha ha definatley agree on this changing DD's didnt phase me one bit but when ive looked after other family and friends LO's it totally grosses me out everytime and makes me want to be sick! lol x

Me too, Em. Kicks are super painful sometimes. Yesterday baby kicked me really hard and I yelped and Tori went down to my belly and said, "Hey. Be nice to mommy!" :haha:

I'm carrying so much higher with this one. It seems to always be kicking me under the ribs and I get breathless just sitting watching TV! Still so long until the bump drops too.

My ribs have been killing me the past few days. After sitting at a desk all day, dinner comes and I go to bed right after as I cant stand to be sitting up any more. The only relief is when I am laying on my side. These days I cant sleep enough!! Exhaustion has def set in again!!!

I have the want to cloth diaper, but I think it would make me gag, too. I do see the benefits of doing it, though.

Double digits start tomorrow for me. I'm starting to feel like I'm coming into the home stretch now!

Weeeee 28 weeks! Happy 28 week magic ;-)

Who's cloth bumming?

We are :) G is a cloth bum baby. I love them

Any tips or advice? I'd love to try some out alongside disposables and see how I get on!

Main thing is try a few styles/fits before you commit to any particular one. I started with 3 different brands and the one that I thought I would like the least, I ended up liking the best. In the past 20 months of cloth diapering I think ive tried almost every brand out there, from china cheapies, to the more expensive brands. I personally found I prefered using pocket styles, but I know of many mamas that love fitteds/covers, and others that far prefer using the all in one styles. They do each have their benefits and downsides, but all are worth a try :)

We use disposables while on vacation, and both hubby and I far prefer using cloth. The sheer waste of disposables is amazing, and I find they stink!

Starry - Good luck with the potty training, I hope all goes well :thumbup:

Stouffer - Happy 27 weeks :happydance:

I couldn't do cloth diapers. The thought of cleaning them out makes me want to gag. I know you can get liners but I feel I might as well go with disposable then. And I'm not in the mood for extra laundry. We have a well and if I do too many loads in a day then we lose all water pressure in the house.

We are starting potty training (round 2) with our son. I'm hoping that this time he will get the hang of it! Last time he just wasn't ready yet.

The thing with Liners is that they are biodegradable, just a thin layer that is completely flushable (even with a septic system) They usually contain *most* of the poop, and significantly more of it as the poo gets more solid. I have a sprayer that attaches to my toilet and it does a pretty good job. I also only do 3 loads of cloth laundry a week, so it really isnt that much more to do. I basically do a single load of laundry every day, so its really not that bad. Well water is a bit harder to cloth with, but once you get the routine that works for you, its completely doable :)

The biggest factor in our decision was cost. I've spent about $400 in cloth diapers, and the extra cost of washing has been rather minimal (maybe $15 a month) BUT I use cloth wipes, and im not having to stock up on supplies, Ive never bought rash cream, and I never run out of any supplies.

Rosie, I think they say potty training is easier with cloth because it allows baby to feel wetness. The chemicals in disposable soak up so much, making baby feel drier for a lot longer. You do need to change a cloth bum a bit more often, but I think I would want to be changed pretty frequently if I had to wear a diaper.

I am a huge advocate for cloth! I simply love the decrease of waste in our landfills, the cost savings and anything that allows me to use fewer chemicals on my kiddo makes me a happy mama :)

My ultrasound today went great. My placenta has moved way up my belly so I can have a vaginal delivery!! Also they said he is 2lbs 13oz which is on size for 29w5d. Good news around!!

Nope. No one is going to convince me to go to cloth. I have a few friends who are into it and it's so unappealing. LOL Several have even gone back to disposables.

I do plan on going to training pants vs the "pull ups" once we get more seriously into potty training with DS as I have heard many parents complain that pull ups work so well that kids can't tell when they're wet. Right now, with DS, we're just trying to get him in a routine of sitting on the potty. He's finally doing it without crying and that is such a big step forward. But he still isn't actually PEEING on it. He only does the "pee pee dance" every once in awhile so we can't tell when he has to go.

Anyways.....

stargazer - congrats on a good scan!

Nope. No one is going to convince me to go to cloth. I have a few friends who are into it and it's so unappealing. LOL Several have even gone back to disposables.

I do plan on going to training pants vs the "pull ups" once we get more seriously into potty training with DS as I have heard many parents complain that pull ups work so well that kids can't tell when they're wet. Right now, with DS, we're just trying to get him in a routine of sitting on the potty. He's finally doing it without crying and that is such a big step forward. But he still isn't actually PEEING on it. He only does the "pee pee dance" every once in awhile so we can't tell when he has to go.

Anyways.....

stargazer - congrats on a good scan!

My dd is 4 and uses the night time pull ups at night :dohh:
I ask her in the morning if she's wet them and she always says no, which isn't always true, she's finding it hard to figure out if she's wet them or not.

Tempted to let her go commando! But not quite sure when they're "supposed" to be dry at night :shrug:

Ema I would just let her wear knickers in bed, "pull ups kinda tell them it's ok to wee in this" you can get dry night bed cloth things you can put under her, ( I used puppy piddle pads from the £1 shop cos they were so much cheaper :haha:) and just let her know you can go for a wee in the night.

We did Ava the as soon as she was dry In the day xx

Congrats on the good news Stargazer. It's always nice to hear positive things at the doctors, isn't it?!

Going off what Hannah said, I kept my daughter in pull-ups at night and she didn't bother with getting up to go to the bathroom. I took the pull-ups away, she pee'd the bed once and decided she didn't like it, and bam. She was good to go. We just bought a waterproof mattress cover so it was easy clean if she did have an accident.

Annnnd....DOUBLE DIGITS for me!! Let the countdown begin!

We did disposable with DD and no Pull-Ups when we began potty training, we just stopped using diapers all together. She caught on really quickly, within days, and never peed the bed but we had disposable bed mats underneath her sheets just in case and still do. Actually, I have them under my sheets too in case my water breaks. :lol:

Good idea to have the disposable bed mats under your sheets, also. I really hadn't even thought about that!

Thanks girls, we're down to our last two pull ups, no more after that!!
Oh and good tip on bed mats under the sheets for us haha

Passed my glucose test!!! Thank god! Also think I may be right with having an irritable uterus. Have a ton of lab work I need to get done plus my RH- shot. Also put me on Zantac daily. Hopefully things will start settling and ill feel better. The pain and tightness last night was AWFUL and lasted hours. Fingers crossed..

I think I need to go to the doctors about irritable uterus, my stomach cramps are unreal :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->