May Emeralds 2014! :)

What's everyone's birth plans?
I've been asked to have a rough idea for when I see midwife next week about what I want! But I dont have a clue!

I had a lovely idea initially:
- Go into labour naturally
- Labour at home as long as possible
- Do not ask me about pain relief I will ask if I want it
- Option to use birthing pool if possible
- Husband to be present at all times and consulted on all decisions
- Baby straight to my chest on birth
- Breastfeeding only do not offer formula
- husband to cut cord

Have had to accept some changes already as I will be induced at 38 weeks and high risk so can't use birthing centre which means so birthing pool :(

plan for us is simply "get baby out safely, with as little damage to me as possible" drugs? Yes please! Prefer to deliver onto my chest, as long as baby is healthy, and for daddy to cut the cord. Other than that, we go with the flow.

Same plan as my first, even with the complications I had, I have no complaints about how things happened. Nothing was ideal, but I have my healthy boy, and I trust my OB that everything being done is for the best for both me and baby.

I've been asked to have a rough idea for when I see midwife next week about what I want! But I dont have a clue!

I had a lovely idea initially:
- Go into labour naturally
- Labour at home as long as possible
- Do not ask me about pain relief I will ask if I want it
- Option to use birthing pool if possible
- Husband to be present at all times and consulted on all decisions
- Baby straight to my chest on birth
- Breastfeeding only do not offer formula
- husband to cut cord

Have had to accept some changes already as I will be induced at 38 weeks and high risk so can't use birthing centre which means so birthing pool :(

Saves me writing it out twice lol... Mine is exactly like this, but I also want
- delayed cord clamping, if hospital agrees and all is well
- to stay off pain relief as long as possible. Ideally I don't want any but I'm realistic and know I will need some pain relief, maybe all of it lol
- to labour and possibly birth in the water
- to remain active throughout
- to not birth on my back (try different positions)
- overnight stay at least. Do not fancy being sent home only 6 hours after, but when the time comes I might be desperate to go home
- and I adamantly want to breastfeed!

^^^^
Of course some of the above will go out of the window if little one doesn't get a move on and turn. I may well be heading for a c-section x

Still a work in progress but...

Birth Plan

Patient: Shannon
Partner: Zachary
Doctor: George K M.D., F.A.C.O.G.
Hospital: Cape Coral Hospital

Before our baby’s birth:
• I would like information about any medication before receiving it, including the purpose, potential side effects on me/our baby and options on timing e.g. before or after the baby is born.

• When I go into labor I wish to go into hospital as early as possible for monitoring.

• I would like my husband, Zachary, to remain present with me at all times.

During our baby’s birth:

• I prefer not to have any students present at the birth.

• If intravenous (IV) access is required I request that no saline drip be hooked up unless it becomes medically necessary.

• I would like to be able to eat bland solid foods and drink small amounts of clear liquids while my labor progresses to try and keep my strength up.

• I understand continuous fetal monitoring is required for my situation (VBAC) but I wish to be upright and mobile whilst connected to the monitor.

• If my labor stalls, I would like to discuss ways all options of progressing labor rather than jump to c-section.

• I or my husband will discuss all eventualities as they arise. Please share any concerns with us as soon as they arise. It will help us to know the answers to these questions:

1. What is wrong?
2. What do you suggest and why?
3. What would be the possible outcomes with and without this intervention?
4. How much time do we have to make a decision?
5. Are there any other courses of action open to us?

• I request no internal scar check unless medically necessary.

• For pain relief I plan to use natural techniques. I would like to discuss other options if I feel I need them but would like to avoid an epidural unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. I am open to discussion of pain relief via IV.

• If I do consent to an epidural, I would prefer a dosage that enables me to continue moving and laboring in different positions (i.e. a “walking epidural.”)

• I wish to be free to adopt any position that is comfortable.

• I will appreciate firm advice and guidance to guard against too quick a delivery giving the perineum time to stretch out thus minimizing tearing.

• I do NOT consent to the use of forceps. I would consent to vacuum delivery if necessary.

• I wish to avoid an episiotomy unless completely medically necessary. Please do NOT perform an episiotomy without prior consent.

• I hope to avoid tearing but if one occurs I would prefer not to be stitched unless it is essential to healing.

• If stitching is necessary I do want a local anesthetic to be well administered prior to stitching.

• If baby is healthy, I would like the baby to be delivered straight to me.

• I would like my husband to photograph the birth.

• If baby is healthy, please allow my husband to cut the cord.

• We would like our baby to stay with one of us at all times.

• We would like to see the placenta.

• We would like to be consulted if our baby needs to go to special care.

If a caesarean section becomes necessary:

• If there is time we request spinal anesthetic.

• I request that my husband is present upon insertion of spinal anesthesia.

• If possible we request that any routine checks are done within my husband’s sight.

• I prefer staples to close the wound.

• If baby needs to be admitted to NICU then we request no visitors other than my husband until after I have been able to visit.

After our baby’s birth:

• I intend to breast feed but will formula feed if necessary.

• I would like our baby with me at all times unless I request otherwise.

• We would like our daughter, Victoria, to stay with us after the birth.

• If I need any narcotics for pain relief, I request an anti-nausea as I am extremely sensitive to narcotic side effects.

• We consent to Vitamin K injection.

• We consent to erythromycin eye ointment.

• We consent to Hepatitis B vaccination.

^^^^
Of course some of the above will go out of the window if little one doesn't get a move on and turn. I may well be heading for a c-section x

Do you have a breech too?
I'm totally disheartened that I found this out today.

^^^^

Yes. Bum first and feet up by babys head. They've talked about manually turning baby if still breech at 36 week scan, but I need more info on that so will ask my midwife next appt. There seems to be quite a few risks involved. Please please baby turn x

^^^^

Yes. Bum first and feet up by babys head. They've talked about manually turning baby if still breech at 36 week scan, but I need more info on that so will ask my midwife next appt. There seems to be quite a few risks involved. Please please baby turn x

My baby is bum down feet up too! Only found out at my growth scan yesterday.
Seeing midwife Friday and consultant for my regular check up anyway so I'm going to bombard with questions! I have another scan at 36 weeks like you too.
I've heard of ECV but it can be risky and end up in emcs anyway if baby's heartrate drops. So I'm hoping both our babies twist around the correct way and get themselves sorted!

I'm petrified of a c section but would rather an elective than an emergency! So I can get my head around it, you know? :dohh:

^^^^

My baby is bum down feet up too! Only found out at my growth scan yesterday.
Seeing midwife Friday and consultant for my regular check up anyway so I'm going to bombard with questions! I have another scan at 36 weeks like you too.
I've heard of ECV but it can be risky and end up in emcs anyway if baby's heartrate drops. So I'm hoping both our babies twist around the correct way and get themselves sorted!

I'm petrified of a c section but would rather an elective than an emergency! So I can get my head around it, you know? :dohh:

Yes I agree, I have lots of questions for my midwife x

Birth plan? What birth plan?:haha:

Drugs? Yes.
Baby out? Yes.
That's about it for me!

Just got home from my appt. She is a good girl and still head down and measuring right on target. Ive been going every 2 weeks, and consistantly 3 lbs up at the appts. At this rate I will be up 40 at the end! OYE! Oh well, I will work it off after (hopefully) plus I plan on trying to breastfeed. As long as the 2 of us are healthy, I am happy! :flower:

Birth plan? What birth plan?:haha:

Drugs? Yes.
Baby out? Yes.
That's about it for me!

:haha: Sounds about right! With DS I actually lasted pretty long without drugs but this time I might get an epi as soon as I can as second labours are supposedly quicker and it will already take us 2 hours to get to the hospital. (I had gone into labour on my own and had fully dilated before needing my section so my body should recognize this as a second labour). Also, if I do end up needing another emergency section I want to be able to be awake. I have no real regrets about my son's birth as he is here and healthy but it would be nice to see and hear my daughter arrive.

I need to talk to my OB again though about how things will go down. I still have 10 weeks but want to be somewhat prepared.

had my midwife appt yesterday and she asked me about birth plan, i told her im just going with the flow, im yet to decide anyway re vbac or elcs which im going to bring up and hopefully discuss on monday at the hospital, they only thing i will be putting in my plan is things like skin to skin and breast feeding thats it pretty much!

i suppose the good thing is little man is still head down for now! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"