Metformin DURING Pregnancy? anyone else?

jmla04

Havin' Twins!!
Reaction score
I am on 850mg once a day. I am 4w4d preg. Anyone else on it or did your doc take you off of it when you got pregnant? I am worried about side affects.

I take 2000 mg daily, doctor said it is fine while pregnant. They have a list of the safe while pregnant drugs and metformin is the only diabetic pill on it. Other than that you have to use insulin, I think later in my pregnancy if I get worried I will switch to the injections only.

Congrats by the way!!!

whether you'll be kept on depends on why you're taking it and your doctor's opinion of it.
If you're diabetic then as above poster says its considered safe.
If like me you take it for PCOS then it's considered not safe as it's not been given the official green light for pregnant women for this purpose. however, all research suggests that it's as harmless to baby as anything can be, plus reduces a PCOS lady's chance of miscarriage from around 50% to 11%
My doctor is more than happy for me to take it throughout my pregnancy as he has personal experience of how great it can be for those who have suffered miscarriages caused by PCOS and has read all the research regarding it, however he knows the other doctors in the surgery would not perscribe it to me as they take the official line that it's unsafe. even though if i was diabetic it would be fine x x

I recently heard about the miscarraiges from stopping Metformin if you have PCOS. I was shocked! I was taking it for my diabetes, and at 7 weeks switched to insulin. But everything I have read says it is safe for babies. I am so glad Bee posted about the risks with PCOS and stopping the pills. Not everyone knows about this, and if they know they can have a firmer stand if their doctor wants them off it.

Hi jmla04

I'm not sure what reason you're taking metformin for so can only give you a reply from a diabetic's point of view. I was on 850mg twice a day for type 2 diabetes before became I pregnant right up until 12 weeks when it was reduced to once a day. My midwife and endocrinologist both told me it's perfectly safe to take throughout pregnancy although in most cases I think they advise you to come off it after the first trimester (I'm not sure if the advice is different for PCOS though). In my case I'll be coming off it completely soon as I'm also on insulin since the start of the pregnancy and that is more effective for me now so the metformin is being 'phased out'. Speak to your doctor/midwife if you're in anyway unsure but I haven't suffered any ill effects from it and my little one appears to be doing great so far. Hope this helps.

thank you everyone. I am on it b/c of PCOS. I just wanted your input. Googling it, can be very confusing.

I am on metformin 1500 mg a day. I am pre-diabetic and I have pcos and have been taking it for years. It has helped make my periods regular and I was told to not stop it when I get pregnant as it helps prevent pcos hormonal imbalance induced miscarriages. In fact, the statistics seem impressive. It brings down the miscarriage rates from 50% to an acceptable 15%. While there isn't enough evidence to suggest its in anyway harmful, there are plenty of anecdotes about women who were on metformin during pregnancy and had healthy babies.
My endocrinologist is fine with me being on Metformin.

I wanted to add that Im on it for PCOS and insulin resistance - kinda pre diabetes I think. I think its one of those things where you have to weigh up the pros and cons. not many meds are approved for use in pregnancy just because they cant do the actual studies and put preg women on it just in case there were problems. but met has been used in bajillions of normal pregnancies so id take it and not worry about things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->