Metformin & PCOS

Thanks Krissie, I figured they'd made things like Clomid but I didn't know what they were haha. Yay for hubby's SA! Hope all the results are good!

Hello Aon! What dose of Metformin are you on? And is that the only thing you took when you conceived? Congrats on the little one :)

Hey- I took a glucose test before I was dx with PCOS. At that point it was suspected but not confirmed. I switched doctors the next year and it was confirmed and I was put on PCOS. At that time I was insulin resistant. I started on 2000 mg metformin right away. I had horrible side effects and after researching backed off to 500 and worked my way up. I always had some symptoms, so this past august I finally switched to 1000 mg ER metformin which has been great.

I have been on bcp, however, my doctor told me it was to reduce the cysts in my ovaries. I have never ovulated after coming off bcp. I was told a long time ago they might help regulate my cycles after coming off them, but after two years on them as a teenager, my cycles went back to their wacky cycles.

I must ask, how was the glucose test? Did you fast first and they just took blood or how do they do that? I did end up getting an appointment with another Dr for tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully she's more informative with me so I can figure out what i need to do! This PCOS stuff is all so confusing... :winkwink: I should add that I'm just over the recommended BMI, so it's not like im obese, just slightly overweight. And i have a heck of a time losing weight & keeping it off. I'm hoping given all the factors, that she will just prescribe it for me and get it over with. lol!

The glucose test was like drinking really thick and overly sweet orange soda. I then had to have blood taken at several intervals over two or three hours. I was fasting when I went in and had it done.

I hope your new doctor is more helpful. I think metformin is definitely a good option. When I did some research on it it does not lower blood sugar, rather it makes you more receptive to insulin, therefore, reducing the need to make so much. There is a bunch of other stuff it helps with but that was the jest of what I got in terms of blood sugars.

Hippie - you're definitely not out yet! The one time I got my bfp, DH and I had only BD a few days before o'ing, and not on the actually day. Baby is right, his swimmers can definitely live up to five days in the uterus, so don't give up yet :) Sending postive vibes!

Baby - I'm glad the spotting stopped - it sounds like it could be implantation bleeding :) Fx for you!! Also, I've never really checked my cervix before, but I'm thinking that I may start because my cycles are so erratic and I figure any addition info to clue me into what's going on in my body is good. For those who do it, do you really find it helpful?

KLMenke - I'm also just over the recommended BMI and my doc thinks that the met will actually help me lose weight.

Thanks JL :) I'm hoping its a good sign too! For me, checking my cervix has helped me determine what stage in my cyle I am in. But I stupidly never checked it after ovulation. Which is why I'm not sure of what my cervix is doing now is normal for me or not. I just never really thought to check it after Oing. I know the day after I Od this month my cervix moved back down and was closed, then slowly moved up to where it is now. If I always checked it after O, it would probably help me determine early pregnancy because I would know what was the norm and what isnt. So now I'm kickin myself in the butt hahaha.

Lol, that sucks baby! But thanks for the info! I'd like to start checking mine, but I'll be in similar situation where I will have no reference point (especially because my cycle doesn't follow any "normal" pattern - I'm on cd 25 and still haven't o'd), but I suppose I have to start somewhere! Do you think it matters if I start midcycle, or should I wait for a new cycle to start?

I would start now. Just make sure you note what CD you are starting on so next cycle at that point you can reference it. Once you've done it for a few cycles you should become familiar with whats normal for you at different stages in your cycle. Like after af for me my cervix is usually low & hard, and feels slightly open. During O it moves up and is super soft, & I know that when my fertile time is over it moves back down. Usually once I feel it has moved back down I stop checking it lol. But from now on I'm for sure checking it atleast once a day, even after O so I know what to expect then too.

This might sounds silly - but should you check more than once per day? Is it likely to change throughout the day the way cm can?

I think it does change throughout the day, but I only check mine once. And I try to do it around the same time each day so its possibly more accurate? Not sure about that, but thats my take on it. I dont think its good to check it too often because you don't want to possibly introduce infection into the uterus...although I think if your hands are clean each time that would cancel the risk greatly. Again, not positive on that either, but I do it once a day around the same time each day.

Yes hopefully the metformin helps with my weight and cycles the way it's supposed to! But knowing my luck, it won't be so easy. It's nice to have ladies out there with my same issues. I feel so broken with this dx, but you guys all give me hope! :)

Hey ladies,

I have a odd question. I don't know what it is but since last night I've been feeling sick. I mean I actually threw up last night and today my stomach has been doing flips. I'm only 4DPO and find this very odd :\ I didn't feel like this last cycle. Is this normal?

Have you eaten anything bad maybe? Or havs some sort of stomach bug? It seems a little early to be preg symptoms, but then again everyone is different... hope you feel better soon :hugs:

I've eaten what my body is use to eating. I don't feel like I'm getting a bug, I did get my flu shot when i went for my physical a few weeks ago and this doesn't feel like a normal bug. I also rarely throw up too. Today it's been weird, I know for only being 4DPO this shouldn't happen, I wonder if it's something else:shrug:

Hmm, I'm not sure. Hopefully its something good :) I've had a really weird soapy tast in my mouth a few times the last two days. Like when I ate a hot dog, and when I had tacos I got it again. :shrug: guess its better than feeling sick!

Yea, i'm hoping maybe good sign. I did google it and it seems i'm not alone and saw it as good sign, so maybe:shrug:

And I'd rather have soapy taste any day right about now. How are you doing? Did AF come full force or are you still waiting?

Haha, well trust me it can ruin a perfectly good taco! Nope, no spotting since Saturday I think? Its been a few days. I've been having a lot of really severe bloating though, and my back has been hurting. I havent gotten much sleep the last two nights because I usually sleep on my belly and its just too uncomfortable. My bbs are slightly tender if I press on em, I've been getting heartburn/indigestion the last two or three days. I've had increased hunger, and I've had headaches off and on. I've had a constant wet feeling, but when I wipe its not like an excessive amount. I cant feel my cervix, its so far up its disappeared. I'm so confused???

No I havent tested yet. I havent built myself up for the let down of a bfn yet. I'm 11DPO today.

I know that feeling all too well. I hope AF stays away so you get your bfp :)

Thanks, I hope so too. I'll test in a few days, once I've gotten myself more prepared for bfn. That way if bfp I'll be even happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->