Metformin & PCOS

I'm trying my hardest to cut out carbs as the doc said but that's all I used to eat :( Struggling for ideas for dinners and also the run up to Christmas is not helping!! Can't stay away from crisps!

That's great baby, I would love to loose even a couple of pounds! Hopefully after Christmas I will.

Bunny- I have been working on cutting out carbs. It is really hard as I could early nearly all carbs. I am going to take a break until after Christmas and start back up. I am going to start then with limiting my carbs to 50 g a day. Which will be really hard! But I am doing it to lose weight and control blood sugar. I find that I eat a lot more eggs/meat and that keeps me full, but it is boring.

I'd recommend that you ladies check out a book called The Insulin Resistance Diet.
It is a really helpful way to control carbs when dealing with PCOS and insulin resistance!

You don't have to cut out carbs entirely, or even a lot - you just have to ensure that you eat them in the right amounts and with the right amount of protein.

The authors found that within 2 hours of eating carbs your body decides whether to turn them to energy or fat, so to ensure it doesn't go to fat, you limit the amount of carbs in those two hours.

It's really simple - a max of 30g of carbs every 2-3 hrs, along with 15g of protein.
For every 15g of carbs you must eat 7g of protein.

You don't HAVE to eat carbs that often, just if you want to. They explain how the protein works with the carbs so that you don't experience a blood sugar spike and corresponding insulin spike.

Whenever I try this style of eating I feel awesome. Lots of energy, no energy crashes, no heartburn, no constant hungry, less sugar cravings.
I highly recommend checking it out!

I have read that book. It is a good book. Hubby and I have decided we are going to follow the Paleo/Primal Diet. Geoff has some problems with wheat/grains so eliminating them is probably for the best. And to be honest I feel better when I am not eating them. But I am going to start after Christmas. Right now I just want to eat what I want and deal with the consequences when its less stressful.

so here my AF just ended, and my Met dosage changed by 1000mg per day

i am trying to get OPK here in Riyadh, so will try to use it this month if i got it

Baby - I have oily skin too which in turn encourages my acne :( Hate it. I don't really have facial hair either, apart from the slightest wee mustache :haha: Hardly noticeable to people but I see it all the time!

minuet - Thanks for the info! :) Will look it up and have a wee read. Will do pretty much anything to try and shift this weight.

Krissie - Definitely start after Christmas, best to just enjoy the festive season and start fresh in the new year. I'm actually looking forward to getting healthy, I'm sooo bloated this month with all the rubbish I'm eating!

Aein - That's great, hope everything is going well and you get your bfp soon!

I'm on cd22 and (maybe) 7dpo and am getting really impatient now!!

I dont have acne, but around the time AF arrives I break out soooooo badly. My whole forehead is bumped up like brail lol. Its sooo bad. I do have dark patches of skin, like under my arms. It always looks like I havent shaved from a distance & its so gross. I always wondered as a kid why cause I was the only one who had it, & once my doc diagnosed me with PCOS he told me it is cause from my PCOS. Sooo strange how there's sooo many different things that happen to different people. He said thats why PCOS is so commonly mis diagnosed because docs dont put all the pieces tofether for a proper diagnosis.

It is strange how many different effects pcos has on a person. I just remember when I first started getting af it was so irregular and painful so the doc just stuck me on the pill. Wish they had looked into it more but glad I caught it early.

yea bunny, at least we are blessful tht pcos detected so early tht we can fight with it

& soon God will shower babies dust on all of us, InshahAllah :hugs::hugs:,

I always told my mom that I was irregular & she said it was just because I was a teen & it would straighten itself out. Obviously it never did, but when I started bcp at 17 it REALLY messed me up. Before bcp I got AF every other month & I weighed 160lbs. I decided to come off of BCP after gaining 75lbs, & I didnt get AF for MONTHS & MONTHS after. Thats when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I will never ever ever take bcp again! Everrr lol. It messed me up. My doc told me since I was already annovulatory the bcp just kicked my PCOS into overdrive. Who knows if thats true, but once I stopped taking it I quit gaining weight.

My mum said the EXACT same thing! I will never go back on bcp either. Worst thing that I ever did. It completely masked my pcos symptoms for a wee while but then they slowly creeped back and my periods starting changing by getting lighter and would be a day later each month then when I came off it they didnt come back until last month after 4 weeks on met. Can't believe how much weight I've put on in the past 3 years

I was told the same thing. I went to so many doctors and all they ever did was prescribe bcp. They make me miserable and don't change anything, just mask it. I am grateful more awareness and resources have come up in the last few years but it truely sucks.

I have most symptoms. Which I struggle with a lot but sometimes it really is difficult.

Its crazy what bcp can do to someone with pcos. My new ob told me that if I didnt like the way Metformin worked he'd gladly put me on bcp to control my pcos. I promptly informed him of what bcp caused & that I will NEVER use that option again. He was a little surprised at how serious I was but I think he got the point lol. I can't believe how much I've gained either.

I agree krissie, its great that they are figuring out new ways of helping women with pcos. I wish my old ob would have started me on it last year, I might have a child by now if he had.

Having pcos does get me down some days, can feel so low and down about the whole thing but mostly now I'm quite optimistic about it since there are so many options. I have lost a lot of confidence because of all the symptoms too.

Quite down this cycle for some reason even though its my first one! Just feel like getting af for the first time in ages was too good to be true and I won't get another one for ages.

I know how you feel. I have my good days & my bad. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing the results from the Metformin & it has to be only a matter of time before I get that bfp. Other times I think about trying the Clomid last year & the two miscarriages I've had & I just get down. I just feel sometimes after 2 & 1/2 yrs of trying, I'm chasing something thats impossible to catch. Ughhh, I'm hopeful since getting AF on my own this month it means good things. I know the Metformin has helped with weightloss, shortening & lightening my periods, & helped lower my appetite. I feel confident I have successfully ovulated the last two months which I wasnt sure of when I took just the clomid alone... So hopefully it all means good things for all of us.

I'm glad it's really working for you! And sorry about your angels. It is just a matter of time until your bfp hopefully not long now!

Hopefully I will get af (or bfp!) at Christmas. Feels like such a long wait.

baby dear, hugs

see in our culture we believe miscarriages is blessing from God as childs who abnormal in any sense God doesnt want them to come on earth, so just be calm and think God has written more positive blessings for you in near future

i wish n pray all times soon we all got good news, the time i just can imajine how happy we all will be how we celebrate that day, happiness n joy aroubd us very soob

I always imagine what it will be like to get a bfp and how it will feel :) I always have a nosy at the bfp announcements and the bfp pictures :haha:

indhahAllah very soon dear bunny, & surely tht day will write down with golden words for whole life

Our time will come. Just hope it's sooner rather than later!

Have no symptoms or anything for either bfp or af but I still have 6 days to go

best of luck bunny, i hope for ur bfp arrive sonner but nt af , chillpill...

Thank you! To be honest I wouldnt be too upset of I got af this month cos that would mean the met is working and I O'd. Just hoping something happens rather than absolutely nothing!

A colleague brought in her 1 year old twins today. They were gorgeous! So broody now :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->