Miscarriage effects on cervix for labour?

ellie1275

pregnant- 2nd trimester
Reaction score
Update:
spoke to my midwife about this today and she said that it certainly does have an effect and that even though technically I am a first time mum, my labour will behave like that of a multiple mum- she said my labour should theoretically be faster as the cervix has already softened and opened several times!!
just thought I would update those of you who are interested ;)

Hi girls,

Im not due in here until friday but thought I would pop in early with a question? looking forward to joining you all!!!
does anyone know about dilation of the cervix during miscarriage- having had 4 miscarriages and the fact that my cervix has partially dilated 4 times does this still mean my cervix will behave like that of a first time mum in labour or will it be more likely to behave like a second or 3rd time mum (i.e. dilate more quickly- dilation before thinning out, quicker labour etc??)

does anyone know- or have any experiences to share?

:happydance:

Sorry honey, I don't know the answer to your question but didn't want to read and run. I would be interested to see if any one knows after having two miscarriages my self.

If i had to hazard a guess, with my miscarriages occurring at 9 weeks, and being blighted ova, i would say that my cervix would probably behave as a first time mums.

Sorry I know this isn't exactly the same, but I have an incompetent cervix and had to have a stitch put in to maintain the pregnancy. When they took my stitch out I was 2cm dilated and by hte time they induced me a couple of weeks later I was 4cm dilated. I was induced at 11am and was fully dilated by 6pm. The mw said that I had dilated more quickly than she expected and although I was on a hormone drip it wasn't hugely painful, I didn't scream once.

Hope this helps a bit :hugs:

Just guessing, but it would probably depend how far along you were when the miscarriage occured.

Thanks for asking, i was wondering the same esp as i actually went into "labour" when i mc xx

yeah I kind of had 'labours' too! awful contractions- and I read that the cervix dilates by quite a bit for a miscarriage so it effectively has done its job already!
Im hoping it will make the dilation process quicker but who knows!!!!
all I know it that my mc's were bloody painful and the 4th one was easier than the 1st

anyone else got any advice???:wacko:

Erm I have had quite a few miscarriages some of them early and some of them in the second trimester. My first child (the first one to full term that is) just didnt want to come out! I was 10days over due by the time he arrived after 3pessaries, the hormone drip and waters broken. I was in active labour for over 12hrs so was like a first time mum labour for me.
Second full term baby (after a D&C) arrived after one pessary and 5hrs active labour.
Am worried this time round as I want to have a natural labour without being induced this time and as my daughter only took 5hrs Im worried this one may pop out on the hard shoulder of the motorway on the way to hospital lol.
Dont know if any of this helps tho. . .

Erm I have had quite a few miscarriages some of them early and some of them in the second trimester. My first child (the first one to full term that is) just didnt want to come out! I was 10days over due by the time he arrived after 3pessaries, the hormone drip and waters broken. I was in active labour for over 12hrs so was like a first time mum labour for me.
Second full term baby (after a D&C) arrived after one pessary and 5hrs active labour.
Am worried this time round as I want to have a natural labour without being induced this time and as my daughter only took 5hrs Im worried this one may pop out on the hard shoulder of the motorway on the way to hospital lol.
Dont know if any of this helps tho. . .

guess I wont know til it happens then really- thanks hon, glad you managed to have lovely babies after you mcs :hugs:

Thank you. Hope all goes well with the labour and its not too long for you :hugs:
Just noticed we are due the same day too!

Thank you. Hope all goes well with the labour and its not too long for you :hugs:

cool!! my birthday is the 12th so reckon he will come then!!!!! cant beleive we are just about to enter 3rd trimester- for me it has been a long time coming- started trying for a baby 4 years ago!!!! ho hum! :hugs:

cool!! my birthday is the 12th so reckon he will come then!!!!! cant beleive we are just about to enter 3rd trimester- for me it has been a long time coming- started trying for a baby 4 years ago!!!! ho hum! :hugs:

My daughters birthday is on the 16th december so I'm hoping this one isnt going to be late lol. Ive suffered quite a few miscarriages last one was september 2008 and stopped having periods after so I got very down knowing my body was against me, so then i decided to re-train and become a chef I signed up for an adult course at the college got a job in a kitchen and started taking microgynon 30. 1st month of being on it i was badly ill and ended up conceiving :laugh2: funny how things work out. So needless to say i had to cancel my place at college lol.
My partner is over the moon as this one is his first and he is fantastic with my other 2children (had a bad split with ex husband as he cheated on me and beat me and my son) and my partner has seen me go through a tough time over the past couple of years with the miscarriages and then not being able to ovulate etc.
But we finally got there with our first baby together :happydance:

My daughters birthday is on the 16th december so I'm hoping this one isnt going to be late lol. Ive suffered quite a few miscarriages last one was september 2008 and stopped having periods after so I got very down knowing my body was against me, so then i decided to re-train and become a chef I signed up for an adult course at the college got a job in a kitchen and started taking microgynon 30. 1st month of being on it i was badly ill and ended up conceiving :laugh2: funny how things work out. So needless to say i had to cancel my place at college lol.
My partner is over the moon as this one is his first and he is fantastic with my other 2children (had a bad split with ex husband as he cheated on me and beat me and my son) and my partner has seen me go through a tough time over the past couple of years with the miscarriages and then not being able to ovulate etc.
But we finally got there with our first baby together :happydance:

you poor thing- sounds like you have been through the mill! I feel for you! I was abused by a partner (10 years ago) and it takes a lot out of you- I still now how behviours in me that he put there iykwim? luckily I didnt have kids! but Im so glad your story has a happy ending! Im so hoping that after my 4 miscarriages, an op to remove pre cancer cells and 4 years of trying that this one will eventually be a baby! I have found it really hard to get my head around as Im so used to it going wrong!!!
well good luck to us both- and it is funny how things happen when you least expect- or when concentrating on something else as in your case- perhaps the pill kick started your cycle aswell?? :hugs:

Maybe. . . . apparently a few people have got pregnant on the same pill so maybe if you're trying for a baby try microgynon 30! lol.
I still cant believe I'm pregnant at times.
Sounds like you have had a very rough ride over the years too :hugs:
Here's to things going right and new babies! :wine:
Keep me updated on how things are going. . . . we can have a race and see who pops first lol

I hadn't thought about this. I know when I mc'd my cervix opened and was a conplete miscarriage but it would be interesting to know.

updated this thread but unsure how to do it properly!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this hun, it is something i absolutely hadn't considered.

My miscarriage was an early one but i had a complete natural miscarriage at home with no need for a d&c and although it still upsets me to think about it, i must say that after the initial day of spotting (when i just thought i *might* be miscarrying, and was waiting to see what would happen) it soon became very heavy and painful and intense.

I remember writhing around on the bed in the middle of the night, feeling incredible abdominal pain, but also pain in my back and shooting down one of my thighs and crying to OH asking why it was hurting so much. It wasn't until afterwards that i realised my cervix would have needed to partially dilate :(

As i just had the one and it was early i am guessing it's unlikely to have had an effect for this pregnancy for me personally but from the answers here it seems like you won't know until on the actual day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->