MMR

I had my daughter vaccinated at 13 months old. This is why:

-Measles can cause ear infections, pneumonia, eye infections, fits and encephalitis (inflammation of your brain). Sometimes it can be fatal.

-Mumps can cause meningitis and result in deafness. It may also cause inflammation of your pancreas. In boys, it can damage the testicles and cause infertility. In girls, it can cause swelling of the ovaries.

-Rubella is also known as German measles and it's usually a minor illness. However, it's harmful to pregnant women. If you become infected during the first three months of pregnancy, it's very likely to affect your unborn baby. It can cause blindness, deafness, brain damage and heart damage in your baby. Rubella can also lead to miscarriage.

Did you know that some negative side effects of the vaccine, such as encephalitis, are many many many times more likely in a measles patient than a vaccine recipient?

If you're worried about the immune system being bombarded, the different components of the vaccine do not all affect the immune system simultaneously, so the mumps and rubella parts of the vaccine will usually work later than the measles component (this is why different side effects may occur at different times ie. swelling of the glands could occur around 3 weeks after innoculation as this when the mumps component may become effective) I think this is to do with incubation times of the different viruses.
My honest opinion on the autism link is that it's nonsense, the doctor has been completely discredited, and the recent rise in patients with autism can, I think, be related to better mental healthcare practice rather than a vaccine related link. But the MMR/autism thing has a lot of speculation on both sides, i think!

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm being a little aggressive about this, but I feel that if you're trying to make an informed decision you should hear both sides. Diseases can be eradicated by vaccination -why do you think noone gets smallpox anymore? and if I and my daughter can contribute to something like that then I'll do it...
If you can afford it, great, go for separates, but that might be beyond a lot of people and I'd always go for vaccinating over not.
Hope it all works out for you!

Oh yeah I 100% support getting all the vaccines (not sure if that came across) just delayed. It used to be given at 15 months but was brought forward when there was the whole autism scare as signs of autism begin to show at about 15 months.

Haha, and I should probably point out that I totally appreciate that it is up to you whether you get your child vaccinated and when you do it!
I didn't know they bought it forward...that seems illogical! If anything delaying it until after the symptoms of autism become clear seems more sensible, if going down that line of logic...

-Measles can cause ear infections, pneumonia, eye infections, fits and encephalitis (inflammation of your brain). Sometimes it can be fatal.

-Mumps can cause meningitis and result in deafness. It may also cause inflammation of your pancreas. In boys, it can damage the testicles and cause infertility. In girls, it can cause swelling of the ovaries.

-Rubella is also known as German measles and it's usually a minor illness. However, it's harmful to pregnant women. If you become infected during the first three months of pregnancy, it's very likely to affect your unborn baby. It can cause blindness, deafness, brain damage and heart damage in your baby. Rubella can also lead to miscarriage.

Did you know that some negative side effects of the vaccine, such as encephalitis, are many many many times more likely in a measles patient than a vaccine recipient?

If you're worried about the immune system being bombarded, the different components of the vaccine do not all affect the immune system simultaneously, so the mumps and rubella parts of the vaccine will usually work later than the measles component (this is why different side effects may occur at different times ie. swelling of the glands could occur around 3 weeks after innoculation as this when the mumps component may become effective) I think this is to do with incubation times of the different viruses.
My honest opinion on the autism link is that it's nonsense, the doctor has been completely discredited, and the recent rise in patients with autism can, I think, be related to better mental healthcare practice rather than a vaccine related link. But the MMR/autism thing has a lot of speculation on both sides, i think!

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm being a little aggressive about this, but I feel that if you're trying to make an informed decision you should hear both sides. Diseases can be eradicated by vaccination -why do you think noone gets smallpox anymore? and if I and my daughter can contribute to something like that then I'll do it...
If you can afford it, great, go for separates, but that might be beyond a lot of people and I'd always go for vaccinating over not.

Thank you for that, I didn't know some of it :).

I do want him to have it but part of me doesn't. I want him to get it because him having it can prevent someone else with weak immune system from getting measlse, mumps or rubella.

Looking through Kians Yellow book it's not that many injections compared to the others ones he has had, i.e he last injection at 4 months old he had 3 injections which were for 7 different things. The 12 and 13 months pnes are to vaccinate against 6 things so not much different to him having his single shots if that makes sense.

I LOVE YOU FOR THIS :thumbup::thumbup:
Everything i wanted to say and not aggressive at all, so much information is thrown around about the negatives of MMR and a great deal of it is untrue yet there isn't much about the positives or exactly what Measles, Mumps and Rubella can do.
:happydance:

This is what i mean, why would a priminister not pratice what he preached? At the end of the day, althought the goverment is adamant there is no link.. Ill spend my £350 and get them seperate, not just for what i think is best but also for piece of mind! If in years to come it turns out there is a link.. £350 well spent! If the seperate jabs wernt available, Riley would not be having the MMR atall.

seperates worked PERFECTLY well for years, they conbined them to save moeny

you would have to be very unlucky to catch all these illnesses at once, so i cant see why you'd want to overload a small babies body on purpose

my daughter had measles twice as a baby and was fine, if you look in the medical journals from the 1950's etc they list these illnesses as "common childhood illnesses" the same way chicken pox has been viewed until a vaccine was developed :thumbup:

seperates worked PERFECTLY well for years, they conbined them to save moeny

you would have to be very unlucky to catch all these illnesses at once, so i cant see why you'd want to overload a small babies body on purpose

my daughter had measles twice as a baby and was fine, if you look in the medical journals from the 1950's etc they list these illnesses as "common childhood illnesses" the same way chicken pox has been viewed until a vaccine was developed :thumbup:

:shrug: it's still a potentially fatal 'common childhood illness'. Yes your daughter may have been fine, but plenty of others haven't been, and personally I'd not rather take the risk.
As I said in my previous post, you are not 'overloading' the immune system, the vaccines don't all start to effect the immune system simultaneously, and it is not the same as having the illness...
And I never condemned separate vaccinations, but not everyone has the money to spend!

This is what i mean, why would a priminister not pratice what he preached? At the end of the day, althought the goverment is adamant there is no link.. Ill spend my £350 and get them seperate, not just for what i think is best but also for piece of mind! If in years to come it turns out there is a link.. £350 well spent! If the seperate jabs wernt available, Riley would not be having the MMR atall.

The man who originally "proved the link" was struck off and disproved. :thumbup: unfortunately his lies have stuck to the MMR vaccine. As long as the child gets the jab seperate or not, IMO its a wise decision. Smallpox was wiped out in this country thanks to a vaccine :thumbup: if that doesn't show the positives of vaccinating i don't know what does.

The man who originally "proved the link" was struck off and disproved. :thumbup: unfortunately his lies have stuck to the MMR vaccine. As long as the child gets the jab seperate or not, IMO its a wise decision. Smallpox was wiped out in this country thanks to a vaccine :thumbup: if that doesn't show the positives of vaccinating i don't know what does.

That is one of my for the vaccine. It helps all those children/adults with weak immune systems :).

I still have 4 months to decide but it is actually nice to get other peoples views instead of trying to get an conversation from OH about it!

^^ You've got plenty of time to think, I suggest doing a bit of reading online. I like the BMJ but just have a sniff around and read stuff from both sides :thumbup:

I'm also glad I made this topic as I have learnt a lot about the MMR that I never knew! Thank you :)

My OH is exactly same, i think as women we are exposed to the information more and when its on the news its aimed at us. OH wouldn't notice anything unless is smacked him round the face or covered the computer screen :thumbup:

I geuninely think its the right thing to do for the nation as a whole i think when we make the decision to have it were helping to protect eachother :happydance:

go look on the JABS website. you'll see many reasons why people choose not to vaccinate and its not just tje autism link.

children HAVE died as a result of having the MMR

I am in bed now typing on my mobile but will come back to this tomorrow as to why singles are better than all in 1.

I think the risk of death and long term effect of the diseases these jabs are designed to prevent totally beats the chances of LO dying as a result of having it. :thumbup: IMO anyway.

I never knew that children have died as a result of having the vaccine :(. I think I will do a little bit more research in the morning when I am not so tired :)

go look on the JABS website. you'll see many reasons why people choose not to vaccinate and its not just tje autism link.

children HAVE died as a result of having the MMR

I am in bed now typing on my mobile but will come back to this tomorrow as to why singles are better than all in 1.

I don't doubt the effectiveness of single jabs, I've never ever said anything to that effect! What I have said is that they're only avaliable privately, and ofr some people that isn't an option, and I will add that the single mumps jab is no longer avaliable.
What I am talking about is the benefits of MMR vs no jab at all...
I've also had a skim of jabs, but I have to say it seems quite focussed on the whole mercury thing - mercury is no longer used in vaccine preservatives? Unless it's used in processing, in which case I'm pretty sure it could be in the single jabs too?

In new Zealand there 16 months before they have MMR.
Somewhere in the Netherlands there 18 months, my LO will be having hers next week one at a time over 3 months :)
The difference with this injection is the virus is live whereas the others there not. Im not getting chicken pox, flu or any other not needed vaccination I hink there great for people with low immunity etc.
My LO has had all the injections including Teberculosis and will have bepatitis B aswell

The amount of mercury in a vaccine is about the same as the amount in a serving of fish :)

I will probably delay Arianna's MMR until 15 months just because I don't want her getting so many vaccines at once.

Ava is having hers next month. I feel if I vaccinate her I am doing everything in my power to protect her. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->