more questions on babywearing

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
I'm sure this won't be my last post in here with questions about babywearing. Any way I have a few questions, I would very much appreciate your help with the ones you can answer for me :flower:
1. Do you have a pram/pushchair?
2. Is it realistic to plan on babywearing and NOT buy a pram/pushchair?
3. What type of change bag do you use when babywearing?
4. Is it best to have more than 1 carrier in case of accidents etc and washing needs?

I think thats it for the time being

Yes I do. I used it quite a bit at first because I was going to and from my uncle-in-law's office four days a week. I didn't fancy carrying everything so it was easier to take it than wear Leyla. Now though, she doesn't like lying down in the pram bit so I've converted it to a pushchair, but I hate it because it doesn't face me. I've not used it much at all recently for that reason. Wearing her is much better for us.

2. Is it realistic to plan on babywearing and NOT buy a pram/pushchair?It depends what you're doing I suppose. Lots of people manage just fine without, but the pram was useful for me at first. If I bought again, I probably wouldn't spend as much and would maybe get a second hand one.

I used to use my pink lining one but it made my shoulder hurt really badly. I've just bought a backpack and it's soooooo much easier and more comfortable. I'm wearing Leyla on my front at the moment, but when she's on my back I'll just wear the bag on my front.

4. Is it best to have more than 1 carrier in case of accidents etc and washing needs?
I've not needed to wash mine yet (that's kind of skanky thinking about it!) but Leyla isn't a sicky baby. With some babies, I'd imagine they'd need washing fairly frequently. I have washed one I got preloved (a connecta) and it dried more or less overnight, so if you did need to wash it, I think you could manage with just one, especially with some of the wraps etc that are just like a long piece of material.

I'm sure this won't be my last post in here with questions about babywearing. Any way I have a few questions, I would very much appreciate your help with the ones you can answer for me :flower:

I think thats it for the time being
1. Do you have a pram/pushchair? yep, a tank of a travel system that i bought 2nd hand off ebay. I hate it an it has only been used 4 times in 6wks, 2 of those times he was carried/worn/held the whole time and the other two he went out in the pram and got worn home.
2. Is it realistic to plan on babywearing and NOT buy a pram/pushchair? in my experience. yes.
3. What type of change bag do you use when babywearing? currently one with a long strap that i can wear over my neck/shoulder diagonally, think i need to get a backpack when the weather gets a bit better and i can loose the bulky winter jacket though,
4. Is it best to have more than 1 carrier in case of accidents etc and washing needs? we have 2 (a bjorn and a babyhawk) but LO is not a sicky baby so we haven't washed either of them.

I do have a pram, but I don't take it out with me. I've not used it for a long time.

Next time round, I won't buy a pram, I'll babywear right from the beginning.

I have a rucksack with all my bits in - purse, nappy, snacks etc.

I have one sling at the moment, and we've managed fine, but I'm getting a second one (and possibly a third). I'd only start with one though, until you know what suits.

yep, i dont wear Aimee in the rain and its easier when i go shopping if OH is out in the car

your preference i think, its easy to wear without a pram upto a few months but i found it easier after 4 months to put her in the pram to go shopping

i use my pink lining bag, doesnt bother me.

i have 2, because their pretty lol

Yes, but I hardly ever use it ! OH likes using it when he's out and about mainly. I use it when were going on lonnng journeys where she would be in the carrier for a long time or I use it for trips to the docs/health clinic so its easier to get her out and nekkid for weighing :lol: !

To be honest, no I don't think it is. It would be pretty disheartening to to make all these plans to babywear and find out your baby doesn't like it or wont settle then your a bit buggered! I would get a cheapy travel system because even if you dont use it often there will be a time that you NEED it.

I just take my juju :D ! Or for shorter trips sometimes I don't take anything!!! I usually just wear my utility belt and that holds cards, ID, money, phone & other bits and bobs perfectly :)

You don't NEED more than one cause you can machine wash and tumble on a low heat and they'll be fine and ready to go within 2 hours! Unless your planning on taking 2 out at a time in case of accidents then it wouldnt really make much difference if you had more than 1 cause you would only have to wash it at home anyway? I have lots because I like them to match my outfits :rofl:

Yes, but I think our travel system was a total waste of money- takes up too much room in the trunk of the car and Emma hates strollers with a passion- she'll only sit in it if she's fallen asleep in a carrier first.
2. Is it realistic to plan on babywearing and NOT buy a pram/pushchair? You could, but I find it useful to pile shopping on it, using it as a coat rack, etc (notice the baby doesn't spend much time in it, lol)
3. What type of change bag do you use when babywearing? Usually a backpack
4. Is it best to have more than 1 carrier in case of accidents etc and washing needs? I have a few :blush: It's probably more of an addiction than a need though :) I like the Moby for Emma's naps in the house, I keep the ring sling in the car for short trips into the shops, a Boba (soft structured carrier) for longer shopping excursions (again keep it in the car) and the Baby Hawk for going out for walks (keep it in the house)- OH thinks I'm nuts but they all have a use :)

. Do you have a pram/pushchair?
Yes, OH uses it, and I do if it's raining- we didnt spend lots on it though.

I don't think it is. Your babes may not like being worn, if it rains or snows- I dont really like wearing him if it is super slippy outside

Just my wallaboo

Again you dont need more than 1- but I have a few, a mei tai, a pouch sling and woven wrap......not stopping there...but I love them lol

hth
xx

Yes, but only because it was gifted too me, if I hadnt have been given one I wouldnt have bought one, Id have bought a carseat and a stroller for when he was 6 months+ and skipped on the 'pram' bit.

If you intend to get a stroller for 6months+ I think its perfectly doable, why spend £200+ on something you may not use at all...personally I havent even unfolded the pram and have no intention of doing so. HOWEVER if you end up with a C section (it happens...) you might regret not having a pram....

I have the free Boots one, I do have day rucksacks with shaped straps I will probably use as he gets bigger/heavier.

Well its my excuse for having four and trying to buy more.....

Thanks ladies. DS will only be 22months when LO is born and I don't think he'll be ready for full trips to town just walking. I just don't want to spend out on a double if I don't need to so I think an emergency double pushchair fund is in order as a back up for if LO doesn't like being carried

We do have a pram/pushchair but have only used it once.

In hindsight I wish I hadn't got a pushchair, complete waste of money, I think it's totally practical to not buy one. If you haven't got the option then you'll just use the carrier even if you were in two minds.

I use this bag: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Polar...f=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1267557343&sr=8-5 but only paid £7.50 for it from Boots ;)

I've never had an accident or even washed my Connecta... should probably do so actually lol

I think a pram/pushchair comes in handy for certain instances and there will be times when you do not feel like BWing and if you have the pram you can pop LO in there. I personally wouldn't completely do without but would maybe only spend a small amount or buy 2nd jand as already suggested so you won't regret it if you barely use it. Maybe go for a maclaren stroller that would be suitable from birth but also suitable for your other LO if they get tired and LO is in the sling.

I used lots of different changing bags but my Onbag was my favourite as it can be tied in lots of different ways to suit the carry you are doing.

In terms of having more than one, I'd say it depends on the type. In terms of a woven wrap dependant upon brand/fabric 90% of them can't be machine washed so need washing in the bath and then hung to dry as they will shrink or felt in the tumble drier whereas a connecta or MT will wash and dry quite quickly.

Do you have a sling meet local to you where you could go and have a look and a play with all the different types and see which type you prefer?

We didn't buy a buggy and wore her all the time - on wet/cold days I just wore a coat big enough to go round both of us! I only bought a buggy at 16 months because I was too pg to carry her anymore and she was 28lbs by then so hardly light!

I didn't have a spare sling but we're getting one this time because our rumble drier has died and we're managing well without it but things take longer to dry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->