Morning Sickness or HG

mzimm1

Reaction score
My first doctor's appointment is Monday, so I will definitely talk to her about my concerns, but I was wondering if you ladies could share some personal experiences with severe morning sickness vs HG.

I am nauseous all day. If I do not eat something small every hour I throw up or dry heave. I cannot keep down water. My doctor prescribed me Zofran (I know, I know... I'm keeping up with the lawsuits, also), but it didn't really work. The first day was okay, the second day I threw up, and the third day taking it the nauseated feeling and vomiting was back all day. I'm trying to be very proactive about dehydration (I'm having a small amount of gatorade every 15 minutes and I'll try and have a sip of water now and then throughout the day). If I drink large gulps, I end up throwing up the liquid and whatever food I last had. Fortunately, I have been able to keep my prenatals down (I take them after eating a small amount.. but not drinking anything), so I'm not too terribly concerned about nutrients. The biggest concern of mine is not being able to keep down water. I'm not dehydrated to the point of needing an IV (because of the gatorade), but I'm not using the bathroom as often as I normally do, and my urine is dark.

:sick:

I have pretty bad ms this time and have had hg in my first pregnacy...zofran didn't work for me either :/ any how, if Gatorade is the only thing you can keep down then keep drinking it but if you can drink something else I would, Gatorade is actually meant for replenishing electrolytes which yes we do lose during dehydration, but it replenishes a persons salts, so basically you're drinking a combo of sugary/salty water which can actually further dehydrate you, if you can, try some lime water instead ;) good luck!

I have pretty bad ms this time and have had hg in my first pregnacy...zofran didn't work for me either :/ any how, if Gatorade is the only thing you can keep down then keep drinking it but if you can drink something else I would, Gatorade is actually meant for replenishing electrolytes which yes we do lose during dehydration, but it replenishes a persons salts, so basically you're drinking a combo of sugary/salty water which can actually further dehydrate you, if you can, try some lime water instead ;) good luck!

I've been getting light headed and basically feel like crap, and I know the sugar/salt in the gatorade isn't helping. Lime or lemon water is a good idea. It's weird because it's not the taste (or lack thereof?) of water... it just isn't setting well! Maybe adding something to it will help. Today I have been SOOOO thirsty, so I tried some water in the afternoon and ate dinner an hour later (bad move.. lost dinner). Of course, I drank half a glass of water in one sitting, so that probably had something to do with it. Thank you for responding!!

I totally get you on that! If I drink too much water meaning more than 4oz at a time, it doesn't want to stay down and here's the weirdest part, I get heartburn!!!! I don't get it, I'm just like "I thought human beings were supposed to be able to consume water" :haha: I hope you can find something that works for you, I worry to because my urine is dark atleast 75% of the time as well and I worry about it too, I did hear one lady used seabands on here, I've been considering trying that...

I had severe morning sickness not hg, I was sick up to 20 times a day and had to eat every 30 mins (day and flipping night if I woke up) or I would be instantly sick. I could keep liquid down for the most part though so was never diagnosed as hg. I was sick the entire pregnancy too, but it slowed to once a day by 32 weeks, then weekly with the help of cyclazine (sp?)

I don't think it matters either way what it is really, it's totally and utterly vile either way! *hugs*

This pregnancy the most I've been sick is 5 times in one day so it is soooo much better! I use seabands daily, try not to get to hungry and drink loads on the occasions I'm not feeling too bad! Also have ginger tablets but they don't help me much, drink lemon water and use this roll on essential oil thing especially for morning sickness.

sounds like hg, i had hg with my last baby and drank anything that stayed down. I found fizzy was the best so fizzy water and pepsi max.

I was told meds can take 2 weeks to take effect im on cyclizine.

It doesn't really matter if it's HG or severe sickness hun, they are both treated the same. I've had HG in two pregnancies including this one and severe MS in a few others. Only difference really is with the HG I haven't been able to keep down any food bar the odd small mouthful and have spent a huge amount of time in hospital with dehydration and malnutrition. I found zofran worked for me, wasn't happy with taking it but when nothing else worked and my baby was risk I gave in. It took well over a week to start working though. Best advice I was given was to suck on ice chips as it's not enough fluid to make you sick but through the day it's enough to keep you hydrated. I really hope you feel better soon, I know how tough it is.

Dilute the Gatorade by half and see if that works. It'll be a hydrating drink once diluted and if you can keep it down, hooray!

Thank you all for responding! With my first pregnancy I *thought* I had severe morning sickness.... but it was nothing compared to this! I've been sucking on ice today. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so thirsty!

I hate hearing some of you ladies dealt with this the majority of your pregnancy! I am hoping 13 weeks will be a magical week for me and everything will go awake (I'll wake up without that horrid taste in my mouth!!).

While you all are responding, has anyone gone to Disney World pregnant with sickness? We planned a trip to surprise our daughter in June (I'll be right around 16 weeks). We planned the trip before the surprise BFP. My daughter has never been, so I really don't want to cancel it (and we managed to get Anna and Elsa fast passes, which apparently are really hard to come by!). Just wondering if I'm crazy for thinking I can manage it in the heat with this sickness?

I haven't but I hope it'll be gone for you by then! You should look into getting some compression leggings or socks since you'll be doing a lot of walking and just make sure you don't get overheated! Sounds like fun though and the second trimester is the perfect time to do something like that!

Thank you all for responding! With my first pregnancy I *thought* I had severe morning sickness.... but it was nothing compared to this! I've been sucking on ice today. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so thirsty!

I hate hearing some of you ladies dealt with this the majority of your pregnancy! I am hoping 13 weeks will be a magical week for me and everything will go awake (I'll wake up without that horrid taste in my mouth!!).

While you all are responding, has anyone gone to Disney World pregnant with sickness? We planned a trip to surprise our daughter in June (I'll be right around 16 weeks). We planned the trip before the surprise BFP. My daughter has never been, so I really don't want to cancel it (and we managed to get Anna and Elsa fast passes, which apparently are really hard to come by!). Just wondering if I'm crazy for thinking I can manage it in the heat with this sickness?

Have you noticed any pattern in when you feel worse?

I noticed when i was due to go up another week i got more sick, i also noticed when reading information that my baby was having a growth spurt / or lots were going on i'd get more sick.

We planned a haven holiday, i needed something to look forward too but we didnt take this until week 23/24 i managed fine. when i hit week 27 i had massive relapse.

I hope you can enjoy your holiday. Have you looked into taking b6 / b12 along side your anti sickness tablets?

Zofran didn't do anything for me either, but diclegis did! I was throwing up anywhere from 12-20 times a day, and with the diclegis it dropped to 1-5 times/day. Water was the worst for me as well, so I'd keep a cup of chopped ice with me, drink watered down gatorade, and flavored carbonated water. Got me through the first 20 weeks or so until I was able to ween off the diclegis. The ms still isn't totally gone, but I do not throw up everyday anymore.

Also, the heat never bothered my MS. I was either going to be sick or I wasn't, the temp outside never played a role, and I was outside a lot in the earlier weeks as dh plays in a lot of softball tournaments. I'd be more worried about the plane ride than Disney world if I were you!

Also, diclegis is basically the active ingredient in unisom and b6. It's taken before bed so you're not drowsy throughout the day. Maybe try some unisom and see if that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->