Mother of all conception months Graduates

Madly he's socute, my back's given up so haveput the front of the house into darkness and am laid out on sofa. Deffinatly an emotional evening.
Madcat I def sneeze to much for the autumn I'm guessing withall intolerances/allergies hayfeaver might get worse with pregnancy.
I struggle with the normalamount oflaundry at teh moment so not sure on reusables OH said def not but am in 2 minds if my dad buys them for me would give it a bash

I'm sat on Byron's new real bed eating lasagne. Good times. We have a CD of lovely nusery songs and Byron has jsut beeing clapping, stamping and shouting 'hooray' in all the right places to Happy as You Know It. :cloud9:

Oliver is a star Madly!

Madcat we use Bum Genius and I recommend them highly. After almost two years of exclusive use (we have 16 of them and wash every other day) a few of them have lost some stitching on the velcro but it's mendable, so they've lasted well and apart from maybe buying perhaps four or five more we'll be using the same ones with this one.

I actually love using real nappies, washing and all. When I was on maternity leave I had great satisfaction in doing the wash and seeing them hung on the line drying! Back at work we took a little while but sorted out a routine with an evening wash meaning we'd have them dry for the morning. This has only not worked on those in between cool nights with no heating but not quite warm enough to get them dry on a rack. The only time we don't use them is when camping, when we use biodegradable disposables. We can't really manage the wash when camping.

I just had a look and am impressed at bum genius hon :) tell me more.....from what I understand they are a one size nappy which adjusts....NO liner like some which just makes it sound so fiddly to me.....you can buy in one size and oncesoiled you simple need to machine wash....is this about right?

I couldn'tgo with Bailey sadly I know 2 dogs with that name so would just ruin it for me

There's been loads of research on reusable nappies and even if they are washed at 90 like laundry services do plus drying they still use quite a bit less energy over the lifetime of the baby that disposables and are certainly cheaper. Except perhaps for some of the mums on here who seem to buy endless quantities of ever fancier and more expensive fluffy bums!! lol We wash at 60 and have a triple A* washer and no tumble dryer so they air dry or on the radiators if the heating is on anyway. BumGenius are about £15 each. They are a birth to potty nappy and fit from something like 8lb to whatever the average is for a 3 year old. They have poppers to fold up the outer and each comes with two inserts (they are pocket nappies), a newborn one and a normal one that folds up with poppers too. We also got some extra absorbant inserts for bedtime nappies (just three).

I'm a big fan of reusables! Byron was on 6lb12 when born and having come early we hadn't quite decided which sort to get so we didn't start them til he was about a month and a half. Before that, even though we used biodegradable, I felt hideous about the amount of rubbish we put out!

We also use flushable liners in them to catch poos and they can also be washed quite a few times when they've just had wees. We also use small terry squares for wipes which I far prefer to disposable ones which seem tacky after wipey and are cold and thin. These we keep damp in a tub and just throw in with the nappies so it's super convenient.

The only downside I can really think of is for a day out when you need a few nappies they are quite a bit more bulky than disposables so a big changing bag is a must. Going away is more effort as the nappy bin needs to come with us and we have been known to do washes at friends' houses when we've been staying a few days.

I noticed that in the book in the first Bounty pack there is a voucher to get one of the new Bum Genius for the cost of postage (£4 ish) which considering they are normally £15 each is really worth it to give it a go!

those washables look really good i saw the freeby when i had time I was going to send off for everything. If I could get my act together these would be so cool even if we used both I would be better on our bin usage

Was typing as you replied Madly so more info there! And a little more as you've asked:

They dry really fast. The extra three inserts we got are way slower, they are like a really thick terry towel kind of texture, can't remember if they are bamboo or cotton.

We have a nappy bin in the bathroom, a net back in it, everything goes in and it onyl really smells towards the end of the second day when it's wash time. I rinse the bin out with Safe 4 which is a gentle disinfectant. Some people use muslins covered in tea tree oil over the top of the nappies to prevent smells coming out.

The new ones look even better than the ones we have (which were the new version just out when we got them).

The outer is nicely coloured, waterproof outer with a fleece inner (all stitched together) so it's soft on baby. There is an opening at the back at the top and you just slide the insert into it. When washing, pull out the insert and wash the two parts together. We do a normal 60 wash, an extra rinse (reusable nappies can catch the soap a bit), then another spin as our rinse always does a low speed spin for some reason.

Through the summer and warmer ends of spring and autumn we dry on the line or on those clippy things (you know, clothes pegs attached to a frame with a coat hanger hook, Ikea do ones that are octopus shaped). When the heating is on we do them on the radiator.

They definitely need changing more often than disposables. They'll leak wee if they're on too long. We use about 6-8 a day depending on the weather/how much he drinks/poos etc. With disposables we use more like 5-6 though in the first weeks we went through millions! We wash every other evening and dry overnight then assemble what we need for nursery. They use our nappies with no problems at all.

Oh, your local council might have some sort of incentive scheme. We got £25 if we spent more than £50 I think. It's not much given 16 nappies cost £240 plus the accessories but it's something.

We got the recommendation for these through the nappy lady website, you fill in a form and they suggest what will suit your lifestyle. If you then purchase from them they give you a 5% discount on your order. Again it's not much but better than nothing.

On the go we have a waterproof bag we put the used nappies in. They roll up and the arms velcro over each other jusst like a disposable. We use disposable wipes when out and about just to save on space in the bag but they are annoying!

Thanks for the info Peanut I saw the freebie offer in bounty and thats what caught my interest....I would like to give it a try even if its just that we buy a few to see how it goes and use alongside disposables......DH needs a lot more persuading though :dohh:

I was thinking of using washables at night what are they like through the night? how much do babies poop at night?

They're fine at night. When they are still on milk they do poo much less regularly than after weaning but you are awake feeding them so a nappy change isn't so much of an issue. They soon poo less at night than in the day too. We just boost up the nappies with a booster liner. It was trial and error and changes as the babies do. We haven't generally done nappy changes at night for months and months.

mother care do aspecial offer onthe 5 for £74 will discuss it with OH

Guys has anyone heard from Bids?

Unless I've missed her I don't think she's been on this week and isn't her scan in the next couple of days?

Guys has anyone heard from Bids?

Unless I've missed her I don't think she's been on this week and isn't her scan in the next couple of days?

yeh, i have, no shes not on here that often but we keep in contact, her scan is this tuesday morning!!, shes ok though and feeling better than she has done in a while i think!:thumbup:

I thought Id seen her shoot i'm so unobservant these days

guys we have a stalker in the room one of my friends from when I joined she's def good for advise 4 kids and the newest was born 27th october

Molly you can probably get Bumgenius cheaper than even the special offers from Mothercare. Just had a quick squiz and there are some good prices for 3.0 version which is what I have. The 4.0 seems to mostly be £15 everywhere.

oh def said no, will see how itgoes when hes on bin duty

not entirley sure he can be like that. I have questions over stuff like sterilising as you don't sterilise yah boob you'd just wash so don't quite get stererlising bottlesthey deff need thorough cleaning. He doesn't question any thing just do as midwife says

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->