Mother of all conception months Graduates

I had period type pains last week and i just put them down to everything going through another stretching phase.

I will seriously need to start thinking about what my routine will be when the jellybean arrives, but as you said Vbaby at least i'll be able to sleep when the baby is sleeping. My OH will be lucky and miss most of the night feeds and even when he is home every second weekend i think i'll probably still do them as he'll have work to be going back to on the mondays.

Vbaby and Peanut, how long did you feel it took to get a night time routine sorted with your boys?
Bwahahahaha!!!! :haha: No seriously I'll tell you when we have one! If there's one thing babes are good at it's changing all the rules just as you're used to them. Byron didn't sleep at night for 8 weeks or so (he was literally getting about 9 hours sleep every 24hrs and we were getting none!) which is why we started cosleeping. I can't really remember but I think it was about 12 weeks he actually started sleeping through - cosleeping was a dream for us. On the approach to weaning at 6 months he started waking as babies tend to get hungrier as milk gets less satisfying. Maybe 5 months we were back to night feeds. I think maybe 7 months he was back to sleeping through mostly except during teething or illness. Then my return to work at 11 months coinciding with his molars stopped him sleeping through almost ever again. The past year has probably seen him sleep through about a month altogether, spread out, most more recently. He slept through last night.

I BF so DH couldn't do feeds but since I went to work he does almost all night duty. I suck at no sleep and he's quite resilient so it worked out that way. When I was on leave I tried to do them as he had to work but be still did quite a bit.

Molly I reckon your period pains are more stretching pains. I still get period pains now.

just annoying bloody pains.
I just wnat some sort of plan in my head rather than coming home from the hospital and going Wahhhhhhhhhhhh. Plans can be changed but starting out without a clue is rubbish

Oh no peanut,my 2 sound like angels compared to byron!!
For some reason teeth coming thru didn't have a huge impact on them,if they were cranky they'd got some nurofen and be ok!
I do think because I bottle fed they settled better(not saying bf isn't better,of course it is,but didn't work out for me!!)I think they get a better feed into them in 1 go,plus I didn't do the feed on demand thing(again each to their own)it was a bottle every 4 hrs and that was that,so I think that helped get into a routine nice and quick.
When they started waking again at 4 months we did start taking them into bed with us,to tell the truth I was at my wits end and didn't know what else to do!
We got sooooo much unwelcome and unasked for advice on how we were crazy to take baby into bed with us,they'll never settle etc etc!!
It worked out fine for us,they both eventually stopped waking,everyone just has to do things their own way and not listen to the million different opinions and advice they get from people,unless you've actually asked for the advice!!its your baby so your way!

these night time posts are interesting.
now, this might sound a stupid question. but how do you know what theyre are crying for?, ie- is it hunger?, dirty nappy?, uncomfortable/too hot/too cold, colic?,
or do you have to try out all the variables to see which one it might be?

lol I won't be co sleeping due to the fact molly is often on the bed. She would leave if told but I roll on her and she doesn't move, shes not pinned and I know she can move but I don't wake up a baby couldn't do that so I wouldn't sleep properly and then me a narky mum. I will bring the moses basket into the bedroom right next to the bed I think tho. Day time sleeps will be done in their own room tho

I just wnat some sort of plan in my head rather than coming home from the hospital and going Wahhhhhhhhhhhh. Plans can be changed but starting out without a clue is rubbish

that's what i'm thinking Molly. I'll also be joining you on the scabby potato front tomorrow, roll on 19wks so it goes away again :haha:

Madcat that's a good question too i hadn't even considered that.

If its colic you'll know all about it,shay had it for the 1st 10wks,cried(well screamed the house down)everyday from about 5pm-10pm,it was hard to cope with!
You just kinda know,if they're nearly due a feed then its prob hunger,if they're finished their bottle it could be wind or pooey bum,so you check all these things.
If they're still crying they might just want a wee cuddle,or you to talk to them!
You'll be amazed at how the maternal instinct kicks in!

If its colic you'll know all about it,shay had it for the 1st 10wks,cried(well screamed the house down)everyday from about 5pm-10pm,it was hard to cope with!
You just kinda know,if they're nearly due a feed then its prob hunger,if they're finished their bottle it could be wind or pooey bum,so you check all these things.
If they're still crying they might just want a wee cuddle,or you to talk to them!
You'll be amazed at how the maternal instinct kicks in!

trial and error at 1st then, a bit i think.

just out of interest, what is colic? in none of my books does it really say what it is!, some just say symptoms are crying, and an arched back sometimes, but theres not alot of info.

I think that is starting to scare me now a little bit. Everything to now has been so focused on hoping the baby stays inside, and i am still scared about that but... the am i going to be a good mum fear is starting to creep in too.

i am feeling lucky molly was a pain in the ass puppy. lol got used to letting her cry coz she couldn't be in the bedroom with me. now she a very good dog. colic is like indegestion in babies I think no real cause for it, some suggest bottle fed babies get it more but I'm not sure. if there hungry and your bfing I believe you know very rapidly lol

yeh madcat,definately trial and error.
Gilz,don't worry,you're gonna be amazing,as long as baby is fed,warm and cuddled he'll be happy,and there's plenty of advice out there when you need it.
Yeh colic is like indigestion,or trapped wind but to the absolute extreme.Shay actually got it the day he was born,which is apparently strange,and when the nurse called to the house the day I got home she said she hadn't see a baby have it as bad in a long time.
We tried everything,changed his formula a few times,eventually settled on aptamil,he seemed slightly better on it.Anyone planning on bottle feeding i'd recommend aptamil,its pre digested so more gentle on their tummys.
Also when you're buying bottles i'd suggest the dr brown 1's.They're specially for colicy babies,and to reduce air bubbles.They're a little more expensive,but worth it if your baby does end up with colic.
He eventually grew out of it by about 10wks

pre digested ewwwwwwwww. lol.

I just got cheap bottles as wasn't planning on using them til later if it all works out.

I liked the idea of not getting a pump til we were home and settled but matt wants to already have one at home. he can damn well pump if i have no sucess BFing. he seems to think if you struggle to BF then u pump I ddnt think it worked quite like that

pre digested ewwwwwwwww. lol.

I just got cheap bottles as wasn't planning on using them til later if it all works out.

I liked the idea of not getting a pump til we were home and settled but matt wants to already have one at home. he can damn well pump if i have no sucess BFing. he seems to think if you struggle to BF then u pump I ddnt think it worked quite like that

i plan on bottle feeding, for personal and practical reasons. Ive heard horrible stories though where MW's just dont let the subject drop until you give in (which btw i wont be), do any of you know if thats the case?. Im hoping they just ask me, and then respect my decision:shrug:

only midwife I've met except mine support the mothers choise as she wanted to BF but was really struggling so really supported her through the stress of it. Not sure what she chose in the end but I know the baby is on the bottle now hes nearly 5 mnths old and on baby rice to which sounds great

Don't think it does work like that.for example my sil breastfed no problem for 8 wks and then had to go to a wk end wedding away.she bought a pump so she could leave breastmilk for the babysitter.She couldn't pump at all,nothing would come out.
But i don't know the ins and out of it all,as it didn't happen for me,shay wouldn't latch on at all so i gave in on the 2nd day and gave him a bottle,it was too stressful especially after 3 days of no sleep and labour!!

Madcat,they were fine in my hospital,as soon as i said I give up,give me a bottle,they did.
With oran I did bf for a whole day!So in hospital I did bf.when I got home I started him on bottles though!
A lot of girls in my ward went straight to bottles and it wasn't frowned upon or anything so don't worry,but they were very supportive for anyone who did want to try bf'ing.

thats good to hear, hopefully my midwive(s) will be similar.

Ooo, valentines in feb, our wedding anniversary in April(16th), wonder if im going to be treated to one last night away somewhere. would be nice while we can.:shrug:

yous should def have a nice wk end away before baby comes.
It our wedding anniversay on 3rd may,its the 1 time of the yr we make sure to go away on our own,looks like this yr i'll be waiting on baby arriving,or at home with a newborn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->