Moving on in the journey from ttc

In this article
Is breathlessness in pregnancy common?
Why does pregnancy cause breathlessness?
How long will my breathlessness last?
When should I be concerned about shortness of breath?
Will my breathlessness hurt my baby?
Is breathlessness in pregnancy common?

Breathlessness is very common in pregnancy. About three quarters of pregnant women who've never felt breathless before feel short of breath at some point.

You may start to feel breathless in your first trimester or second trimester, and it may be scary at first. If you have gained a lot of weight in pregnancy, or are expecting twins or more, you may feel particularly breathless.
Why does pregnancy cause breathlessness?

Breathlessness in pregnancy happens because of the natural changes that your body goes through to adapt itself to carrying your baby.

In early pregnancy, you become broader around your ribcage and may struggle to fit into your tighter-fitting tops. This is because your ribcage moves up and outwards while you're pregnant, to give you a greater lung capacity.

The pregnancy hormone progesterone also makes your body adapt the way it absorbs oxygen in your bloodstream via your lungs . As a result, your body becomes much more sensitive to the levels of carbon dioxide that you breathe out.

These changes mean that your body does a better job of processing oxygen and carbon dioxide. You're breathing at the same rate as you did before you conceived, but much more deeply each time, which may be why you feel breathless. Some mums-to-be are more aware of this change and feel more breathless than others.

Towards the end of your third trimester, the size of your growing baby can also make you breathless. At this stage, your uterus (womb) really begins to push upwards into the sheet of muscle that lies under your ribcage (diaphragm), which then presses on your lungs. You'll probably feel some breathlessness at this stage if you haven't before, especially if you're carrying your baby high.

Though you might not enjoy huffing and puffing as you go up a short flight of stairs, don't worry. This sort of breathlessness is normal and completely harmless.
How long will my breathlessness last?

If you're pregnant for the first time, your baby is likely to drop down into your pelvis (engage) from about 36 weeks. This is when your breathlessness might ease. If you've had a baby before, your baby may not engage until the end of your pregnancy.

If you've still got a while to go, try some light exercise. Being unfit will make you feel breathless, so a gentle workout can help you to feel less breathless in the long-run. Gentle exercise means still being able to hold a conversation while exercising, without getting out of breath.

Your baby will get plenty of oxygen while you work out because of the pregnancy changes your body has gone through.

After you've had your baby, your levels of the hormone progesterone plummet, which will immediately relieve the pressure on your diaphragm and uterus. However, it can take a few months for the changes to your ribcage and breathing system to return to how it was before pregnancy.
When should I be concerned about shortness of breath?

Some breathlessness is common during pregnancy. But you should call your doctor or midwife immediately if you notice other symptoms, such as:
a feeling that your heartbeat is racing, irregular or is missing a beat (palpitations)
severe breathlessness, or feeling faint after a burst of activity
chest pain, especially if it starts when you exert yourself
difficulty breathing when you're lying down, or at night

Breathlessness and tiredness can also be a sign that your iron levels are low (anaemia). If you are anaemic, your body has to work harder to provide enough oxygen for you and your baby. Ask your midwife for a blood test, if you've not had one recently.

If you have asthma, talk about your condition with your doctor or midwife. The risks to you and your baby of not controlling your asthma are much greater than the risks of taking asthma medication during pregnancy.
Will my breathlessness hurt my baby?

As long as you haven't got any other worrying symptoms, feeling breathless is completely normal during pregnancy, and won't harm your baby. Even if it doesn't feel like it, you're actually breathing deeply and efficiently, so your baby can get the oxygenated blood he needs.

Find out about natural remedies for breathlessness.
Show references

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a219/breathlessness-in-pregnancy#ixzz34HILdy5C

Thank you sooooooooo much Left. That gives me great comfort. It's a little startling at first because I've never experienced this before. I didn't really get that far in my last pregnancy to know if this was "normal" lol...

***TMI***

For the past 3-4wks I've had this rash on my upper thigh. Close to my vagina but not quite there. It is so irritated and ugly. Idk what it could be but when I mentioned it to my doctor he said it was normal. I think imma call tomorrow morning to get an appt to make sure it's nothing!!! UGHHHH

Mariahs Mom, so glad you were right about the 18 week thing! It's so exciting. I've even felt the odd bump through the day today. Hope it picks up again tonight like it did last night. ;)

Sorry you're uncomfortable! Glad left could offer some reassurance! At work today at one of my offices, I realized I do a fair bit of bending over slightly. Which was fine before, but I forgot how hard it is when my uterus is larger and all my organs are all squished. Oof, it was hard to breathe then, hahaha. I will figure out a new way of doing things. I've managed before.

Hope you can get that rash figured out. Definitely worth having it looked at. Even if it is normal?? Seems like he could at least suggest something that would give you some relief!

How exciting about bigger movements! :happydance:

As for breathlessness I am only 8+4 and I keep getting out of breath so god help me in the third trimester! :rofl:

I've found my sickness is kind of easing off at times. I'm still being sick every morning and feeling sick throughout the day but I'm getting breaks in the day where I feel ok. I probably would freak out had it not been for the doppler. What a brilliant invention! I happy as long as I hear baby once a day :cloud9:

I had loads of breathlessness towards the end of pregnancy and now afterwards. It is part ow what led to my post partum anxiety. I guess I let myself imagine the breathlessness was a sign of something worse. I don't know. So yeah, definitely don't over-think it. It only makes it worse. And of course, I have anemia so that also explained the severity of it.

Mariah - isn't it annoying when doctors just say "it's normal" and then do nothing? I mean, maybe there isn't much they can do for some symptoms but it would be nice if they would at least suggest ideas for relief. Maybe ask about a cream or something similar that can ease the pain of the rash.

afm - Hannah seems to be getting colic. It's not with every feed but she does have problems with gas at times and poor dear just hollers and screams and there is not much I can do for her. :( But she only woke up once last night again. :) It's nice getting a 6 hour stretch of sleep.

I have been really breathless from about 22 weeks. I have anaemia and low blood pressure so I get breathless and dizzy a lot. I went to my doctors who said it's just pregnancy.

So yes I feel you on the breathless thing!

some days I have to lye down for a while to get my breath it's that bad

Thanks ladies for all the advice. So I called the doctor and I have a doctors appt in an hour! Idk y I'm a little nervous haha. I really need to relax and stop freaking out...:wacko::wacko:

Eyemom- I hope that the movements keep up!

Starry- OMG yes, they are so fast to "oh that's normal" then suggest NOTHING! Gotta love these doctors lol. Fortunately, my doctor really cares and always tries to appease me. And I hope my little Brooklyn is like little Hannah. You're so lucky lol

BB- good to hear that the sickness has eased up a bit. I know how it feels to be sick all day. Not good!

I will let u girls know how the appt goes!

So I just left my doctors appt and it went great. Looks like the rash was just related to hear. No bacteria or yeast found during the swab...So excited! The HB is strong at 150...

Again the baby is measuring a little ahead. The doctor said I am already 27wks :happydance::happydance: The next big milestone is next week at 28 WEEKS :cloud9: It's just surreal for me right now. After my experience with the last pregnancy, I'm just emotional right now!

Mariah its so wonderful to being to feel your excitement , I'm so so happy for you :) and from the outside looking In Your pg is going super fast !

Starry yeah for 6 hours sleep !! OMG long may it last ! Little Sean has slept through the night till 7am for the last 3 nights . I put him down between 7-7.30 , wake him at 12 for a dream feed and he goes straight down till 7am . He is such a dote :)

Thanks left!!!! Yes my pregnancy seems to seriously be flying by....
How is Sean? Did I mention that DH's name is Sean? Love that name :)

I agree. Your pregnancy is flying!

AFM - 9 weeks today, seriously never thought we would get this far. Just hoping hard that this LO continues to grow big and strong.
I spoke too soon on the sickness, still throwing up daily and still feeling pretty yacky. I read week 9-10 is the worst for sickness. I really hope it doesn't get worse! My Mother-in-law has started to cook for us a few nights a week because we are living off sandwiches because I can't cook and my husband is shattered after work! I can eat if someone cooks it but I just can't cook it myself!

Lol bb I totally forgot about not being able to cook !! Your bringing back so many memories to me :) I gave up too just couldn't be in the kitchen !

OMG BB I was the same way with my first pregnancy. I could not stand the smells in the kitchen so I never cooked. Maybe why I lost 24lbs haha. DH hasnt ordered out so much in his life haha. He said he felt like he was in college again lol...hope it eases up. Mine lasted until like 18wks UGH!!

I was like that first pregnancy. This time if I didn't cook it was because I was too tired! But then when I cooked I was sick of it by the time it was done cooking, so I wouldn't eat what I just made.

Ladies I'm so emotional this week. I'm approaching my 28th week and I can't believe I've made it this far. I'm crying for the baby I've lost and wondering why she couldn't have the same luck :(. I'm relieved to know if she does come she has a 90% chance survival rate and is weighing 2.5lbs. I just feel so thankful and overcome with emotion. Even though I don't want her to come just yet (bake a little more baby Brooklyn) I'm just anxious for her to be here safe and sound.

I'm crying while writing this. Lol sorry for the rant!

Oh hun I can never begin to imagine what you went through and have been through. I've been counting each week and looking up survival statistics and worrying enough and I haven't even been through something like that so I totally get where you are coming from.

This is your rainbow baby, your take home baby and she will be in your arms safe and sound before you know it (but not until after 37 weeks of course!)

*hugs*

Mariah you poor thing . It must be such mixed emotions xxxx you will never ever forget your little girl and she will be with you in your heart always . Your other LO is growing stronger every day but I'm guessing won't budge till 41 weeks ;) just my guess . No one ever tells you pregnancy is going to be such a rollercoster !! I wonder is it different for those who have not had a loss and go though their pregnancy in ignorant bliss ? Maybe its only after a loss that the innocence is lost and you worry non stop throughout your pregnancy ??

Yes it is completely different. I had no real fears when pregnant with Tristan. I want that innocence back! :lol:

MM :hugs: Those emotions are all completely normal.

Girls I'm having my first glass of wine on a sat night in almost 2 years :) its lovely !
I almost feel human again ;) hopefully not for long as I'd love another soon ( baby that is not glass of wine ! ) lol... I'm blessed Sean has started to go down at 7pm and sleeps till 7 only I still wake him for a feed at 12 .

I expressed today so might even have another half glass !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->