Mums can't enter Miss England?!

jazmine18

Reaction score
I think its unfair that on Miss Teen UK..and Miss England..its states you cant enter if you have a child. does anyone know why that is? seems kinda unfair..not that i would want to anyway, but still lol..and you cant have been married.

I think its more to do with the commitment issue than anything else. You have to do lots of promo work and they probably don't want you to have to fit them in with your baby IYKWIM?

Ye there was a story once in a magazine about a women who had enter her local heat of miss england and won and then when they organisers found out she was a mum they told her she couldnt be in the compition because if you win you have to go and do miss world and they said it wasnt fair taking a mother from there child

As for being married, it wouldn't be 'Miss' anymore then, it would be 'Mrs' ;)

I think it's messed up. Its the woman's choice of how she wants to look after her child. It's probably either Victorian views on marriage or the fact that we live in a society in which mum's aren't really values (ever seen women trying to justify being a "stay at home" mum?) and also, the guys who judge those things usually a bit perverted. I can't remember what the doc was but there was an undercover doc abotu some beauty pageant or modelling contest a few years ago (probably quite a while ago now) and they showed all the male judges just talking about these underage girls and what they'd like to do to them. Some of the girls were 13 and they looked very adolescent and these guys were well over 30.

Haha! I'm such a ranting feminist.

I think it's messed up. Its the woman's choice of how she wants to look after her child. It's probably either Victorian views on marriage or the fact that we live in a society in which mum's aren't really values (ever seen women trying to justify being a "stay at home" mum?) and also, the guys who judge those things usually a bit perverted. I can't remember what the doc was but there was an undercover doc abotu some beauty pageant or modelling contest a few years ago (probably quite a while ago now) and they showed all the male judges just talking about these underage girls and what they'd like to do to them. Some of the girls were 13 and they looked very adolescent and these guys were well over 30.

Oh I don't think it's like that really. I think it's more the fact that the company can't risk their Miss World missing appointments and interviews incase her baby needs her. + Maybe the mother regrets her decision and resigns etc etc :shrug: I agree with them tbh.

I think it is a mixture of tradition and them being concerned about the winner's commitments, fulfilling all of her requirements, etc. When you are the title holder it's a very busy year for you.

i suppose that kinda makes sense, it was just the way they put ''who has never given birth to a child''..like its something not to be proud of...i wonder if that means due to circumstances if someone no longer had the child they gave birth to could they still not enter because they gave birth :-S.

It also says that the entrant "Shall be a person whose background is not likely to bring in to disrepute The Miss England Contest or Title" and "Shall be of good character" - I wonder if it something to do with that? While I don't have a problem with teenage parents, can you imagine the headlines if a Teen Mum won? Don't think the Daily Mail would have good things to say!

Oh I don't think it's like that really. I think it's more the fact that the company can't risk their Miss World missing appointments and interviews incase her baby needs her. + Maybe the mother regrets her decision and resigns etc etc :shrug: I agree with them tbh.

Although I personally would never take on that type of responsibility with a baby I think its not the job of the administrators to make that decision. I know I will have to find another career when I have a baby because I personally cannot feel comfortable to committing to my career knowing I will be away from home so much. BUT I think women should have the right to choose. There are a BILLION reasons why any woman might not fulfil her obligations as miss whatever but to try and pre-empt it seems unfair. Some women DO have high flying careers and children and handle it very well and have stable happy children (my aunt being one of them. Her kids are probably THE MOST stable in our whole extended family!!!!) so I dont' think its anyone's job to stop them from pursuing that. I don't think it's their right.

And if they state "who has never given birth to a child" what if you lost your child? what if you were a surrogate? What if you have a stay at home dad or other family support structure? The world is changing and it seems archaic to me. Either we give women the freedom to choose or we don't.

Although I personally would never take on that type of responsibility with a baby I think its not the job of the administrators to make that decision. I know I will have to find another career when I have a baby because I personally cannot feel comfortable to committing to my career knowing I will be away from home so much. BUT I think women should have the right to choose. There are a BILLION reasons why any woman might not fulfil her obligations as miss whatever but to try and pre-empt it seems unfair. Some women DO have high flying careers and children and handle it very well and have stable happy children (my aunt being one of them. Her kids are probably THE MOST stable in our whole extended family!!!!) so I dont' think its anyone's job to stop them from pursuing that. I don't think it's their right.

And if they state "who has never given birth to a child" what if you lost your child? what if you were a surrogate? What if you have a stay at home dad or other family support structure? The world is changing and it seems archaic to me. Either we give women the freedom to choose or we don't.

yeah i agree..i would never do it either..run off my feet with the baby and couldnt bare to leave her, but there are plenty of 'business women' out there that do. and they seem to manage both.

I agree with redpoppy. Gone are the days when there was a nice, tidy definition of being a mother. Why should a woman be denied this opportunity if she chooses to commit to whatever the winner's year requires?
I think this has a lot more to do with the sex symbol side of pageants and of that whole idea that a "star"/model/actor/pageant competitor isn't as sexy if she's taken or isn't a "miss" by definition. Archaic is the word, indeed.

I kind of think the same and tbh honest if a mum did win can you imagine how much stick she would get from the papers.....remember that girl that went in big brother that had a 2 year old ? Certainly in the Daily Star there were quite a lot of comments about her leaving her little girl.

Also theres the childcare issue, there is so much travelling involved, I expect if they won they'd be on the road pretty much all the time.

I kind of think the same and tbh honest if a mum did win can you imagine how much stick she would get from the papers.....remember that girl that went in big brother that had a 2 year old ? Certainly in the Daily Star there were quite a lot of comments about her leaving her little girl.

Also theres the childcare issue, there is so much travelling involved, I expect if they won they'd be on the road pretty much all the time.

Okay, but to play devil's advocate, what if the baby was home all that time with a SAHDad? Do we publicly condemn men who travel all over the place for their jobs? I don't know how relevant that excuse is.

I don't know much about the rules, but I imagine contestant have to be 'whiter than white'. I imagine that things like having a child out of wedlock, drinking, drug use, convictions or other things would bring the title into disrepute. They wouldn't want to be seen as rewarding someone for a negative thing, and lots of people do see having children outside of wedlock as a negative thing.

isnt the whole concept a bit archaic anyway? it seems really old fashioned to me and i'm amazed it's even still going tbh .... so to me its not surprising the 'criteria' are really narrow and archaic. and slightly offensive .....
(i'm not bitter or anything :rofl:)

isnt the whole concept a bit archaic anyway? it seems really old fashioned to me and i'm amazed it's even still going tbh .... so to me its not surprising the 'criteria' are really narrow and archaic. and slightly offensive .....
(i'm not bitter or anything :rofl:)

That's such a bloody good point! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->