My BIG FAT GYPSIE WEDDING> whos gonna watch??

I thought this week's episode showed a more balanced view of traveller life rather than just wedding excess! I do feel sorry that they were forced from their site - it seemed mad that they were then parked up on the roadside. I felt that was a fairly sympathetic view of the problems they face. And the 12 year old lad Jerry seemed to be really sensitive and have real insight. It was refreshing to see local residents supporting the travellers. I was concerned by the filming of the girls in their outfits after their first communion though - not sure they realise that it actually appears as very inappropriate and I would certainly never dress my lo like that.

I agree with all midori has said in this thread, I think its so sad (and dangerous) that they are raised to think men are above women, its basically just giving the men free reign to do whatever they like to them :nope: Also think its sad they marry so young, the look in that redheaded girls eyes when they asked her if she was happy and she replied "Yeah I'm happy... most of the time" She clearly wasnt. She didnt even want to marry him! And then they're stuck with them for life... I just think its a very sad way to live

I agree with all midori has said in this thread, I think its so sad (and dangerous) that they are raised to think men are above women, its basically just giving the men free reign to do whatever they like to them :nope: Also think its sad they marry so young, the look in that redheaded girls eyes when they asked her if she was happy and she replied "Yeah I'm happy... most of the time" She clearly wasnt. She didnt even want to marry him! And then they're stuck with them for life... I just think its a very sad way to live

I agree. I watched this weeks episode expecting to find it funny but it just made me really sad and angry. I wouldn't be surprised if domestic violence is VERY common in traveller communities, the men are brought up to truly believe that they are superior and it is okay to control their wives :nope: And what choice do these women have? They are pulled out of school so young most of them can't even read or write, so they have no skills whatsoever to help them find a job, so they stay dependent on their horrible abusive boyfriend because they literally have no option but to essentially live as slaves to their husbands. It was so depressing :nope:

I really felt for those girls gettin dragged out of school so young. I mean, what would it hurt to at least finish school? and surely it would be helpful to be properly educated when having children and helping them. That really made me sad. x

that girl who is 22 and workin was good, shows she wanted her own life first. But that fight with the two men/boys was ridiculous!! There was kids watching that violence and egging it on. X

that girl who is 22 and workin was good, shows she wanted her own life first. But that fight with the two men/boys was ridiculous!! There was kids watching that violence and egging it on. X

I thought that about the kid watching. :nope: x

I couldn't believe the fight :shock:
Do gypsies pay tax?
x

I've only just got round to watching it, the only reason I did was because do you remember the furnature shop that paddy and his wife went to, thats actually just down the round from where I live, I even pass it on my way to work lol

I have to admit I do really like some of that Italian furniture but I like sparkly, OTT things in general, including clothes, must be my romany genes lol

I couldn't believe the fight :shock:
Do gypsies pay tax?
x

I don't think so

Honestly!

Some Gypsies/Travellers pay tax, some do not, just the same as the rest of the population.

I was thinking mainly of the ones portrayed in the programme. That 'kind' of gypsy. Cos we all know they're not all how they're shown to be in the programme. I dont think I've seen any of them with a 'proper' job except the girl in the cake shop, and they have no fixed address so would be pretty hard to chase...

Yeah I was wondering, if they don't have a fixed address how can they pay tax?
I do love the dresses though, they are gorgeous. Especially the big pink one :thumbup:
I have gypsies in my family on my mums side so I asked my oh if thats a good enough reason to have a big dress like that, apparently not :haha:
And that big princess cake was amazing!
xx

Its back on.. I am glad its focusing on their secrecy tonight..
sad its the last one. :(

I love that wedding dress, its so nice! (well i think so anyways) I don't they are being fair to the dress maker though that is just a bit out of order

Apart from its massivness it is quite a nice dress!
I agree that wasnt really fair of them :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->