Myomectomy? Any one had one to remove a fibroid?

hockey24

Reaction score
I have an appt next week to confirm whether I need to have a myomectomy to remove a fibroid that could be blocking implation.

Just curious what the recovery time is on this and if you can resume TTC the next month?

Anyone have any experience with this? :shrug:

I don't know the details but my friend had a baseball size fibroid removed and went on to have a healthy baby at 42...

I have an appt next week to confirm whether I need to have a myomectomy to remove a fibroid that could be blocking implation.

Just curious what the recovery time is on this and if you can resume TTC the next month?

Hockey, I will keep you posted after I see my doc in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see if anyone responds...med. lit. says that subm fibroid removal can increase fertililty by 70% !! That's huge...

Increase by 70%? Wow! :headspin: That's incredible!! I'll keep you posted as well - I see my doc on Tuesday and if the surgery is needed, will most likely have it late next week or the following week.

Increase by 70%? Wow! :headspin: That's incredible!! I'll keep you posted as well - I see my doc on Tuesday and if the surgery is needed, will most likely have it late next week or the following week.

That's what I said...this is irrespective of age, but what the studies showed is that when you remove the fibroid(s) - in general, the endometrium is less hostile, also there is not potential blockage, and the placenta won't be possibly uprooted [previa] due to the blockage, and a whole host of other potential risks... if you would like I can send journal links...

what is a myomectomy?? I had surgery to remove a 1cm polyp in my uterus in the preferred area for implantation....I was under general and the night before had to take a medication similar to what they use in abortions to open the cervix (had weird crampy feeling all night and thought this must be what the start of labour feels like!). once under they went up with a camera and removed it with a D&C I think. I think they called it a polypectomy or something, so perhaps yours will be different!

I ovulated a week after the operation and TTC'd straight away. the clinic said to wait a month, but when I pressed them why they said its because if people get pregnant and MC they think it was the surgery, but there wasnt any reason why not to. So I went for it! I bleed lightly for a few days, the recovery was easy.

unfortunately that was in march and I have not gotten pregnant yet so its not a guarantee it will happen faster but you are much more likely to get pregnant without it than with it. Its just everything else has to be there too....at our age I think the main factor is a good egg and we may have more bad that good thats why it takes time. :hugs:

forgot to mention I had read that a polyp/cyst/fibroid in the uterus can act like a natural IUD so anything will be expelled...not when you want when TTC.

Yikes! Not good at all if trying to conceive! Yes, agreed that age brings on a host of other issues but anything we can do to eliminate a potential problem is fine by me even if it only increases my chances another few %. :happydance:

Rashaa - would love to see the journal!

I will post some recent articles [abstract info] on fibroids and (in)fertility.....

i believe both of these papers were systematic lit reviews and meta analysis only...meaning they looked at the reseach of others and did statistical regressions [comparisons] on the data as a whole...they didn't actually do the research themselves...

one thing I will note is that it seems that the medical 'consensus' is to myomectomize submucosals as ...this is usually highly suggested if not required in IVF treatments, as it will impair implantation [those who have had IVF can possibly concur]...so there is evidence clinically that it is advantageous....

Fertil Steril. 2009 Apr;91(4):1215-23. Epub 2008 Mar 12.
Fibroids and infertility: an updated systematic review of the evidence.
Pritts EA, Parker WH, Olive DL.
SourceWisconsin Fertility Institute, Middleton, Wisconsin 53562, USA.

Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Aug;20(4):379-85.
The role of myomectomy in fertility enhancement.
Somigliana E, Vercellini P, Benaglia L, Abbiati A, Barbara G, Fedele L.
SourceDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy. [email protected]

[I can't post the articles themselves here.. too large....] I am still looking for the article that did the research showing a significant difference in fertilty..post-myomectomy.. oh one thing I meant to add before is that the sample size of that study was below 100 [not considered a decent sample size by most study audiences...but the results are still noteworthy none-the-less, and appear to have driven clinical standards of care, in a different direction.... [in the past, women with submucosals were ONLY able to have a hysterectomy as a form of treatment (in the case of my mom some years ago (decades) ...and now they can ablate or remove the fibroid in question and preserve fertility to some degree).

anyway... just my 0.02 :)

Just wanted to pop in..my cousin, who's a few years younger than me...lost a baby earlier this year [actually today would have been the EDD]...and in June she had fibroid removal surgery...she JUST found out today she is pregnant again!

Doc told her the same thing I suspect for myself..the fibroids [she had many] were preventing pregnancy and ...causing the m/c. She's due April 28 [my son's bday] and now I am really primed to see my doc and get this myomectomy done! and get on with the TCC'ing :).

Fibroids and polyps that pretrude inside the uterus are the most likely to interfere with implantation and cause infertility. Myomectomy is a surgery where they go in through the abdomen and remove the fibroids. The open myomectomy is where they make a large incision and laparascopic myomectomy is where they make a small incision and insert a scope with tools on it and is done through tiny incisions. Myomectomy can't remove fibroids or polyps inside the uterus. A hysteroscopic resection is used for these fibroids. The cervix is dialated and they insert and remove the growths with a resectoscope. There are lots of different options all with different risks. Typically it is best to pick a procedure that does the least amount of damage.

My DW, 45, had a hysteroscopic resection of two fibroids a couple years ago, the worst part was the drug that dialated the cervix. Labor pains. Check Mayo Clinic website under conditions and diseases Uterine Fibroids.

I would not recommend a Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE) otherwise known as a Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE). We found it to be too risky and didn't want to gamble with the possibility of a decreased ovarian function or premature menopause. It limits or the blood supply to the uterus in the hopes of starving the fibroids, but they don't have a way to only target the fibroids.

Websites we found helpful for finding a procedure:
https://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp074.cfm
https://www.uterine-fibroids.org/
https://www.fibroids.net/

Thanks smileystar for your information, advice and links, it's nice to see some husbands posting.

There is also a really good video showing a hysteroscopic myomectomy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE7EcCF6NIM
(I can't find the full length one..showing the endometrial wall after....sorry)

It's very cool ... that a device originally created to treat/cure prostrate cancer is now being used to treat/cure female fertility.

I agree with you about Embolization in general - [imnsho] it kills fertility - and can have a huge cascade effect on other vital reproductive processes.

Since your wife's procedure, has she successfully conceived?

Rashaa - when do you see your doc again?

And congrats to your sister! That is great news!!

Not yet. We were ntnp for 10 years until we caught a chem preg around march. Which gave us hope. We are on our 2nd cycle ttc. We took one of those day 3 poas fertility tests yesterday and came back good.

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/371461

Rashaa - when do you see your doc again?

And congrats to your sister! That is great news!!

I go see her in exactly a week....[next Friday]...and for some reason nervous as all heck lol

Rashaa,

I just had a hysteroscopic surgery to remove minor scar tissue and some intramural fibroids that were partially submucosal. My doctor went in and removed the scar tissue and then she scraped the fibroids that were growing inside the uterus. The largest one was 2cm. She did not recommend a myoectomy sine I had an open one in 2010 and a laparoscopy myoectomy in 2009. I also went into preterm labor with twins in March and April of this year - lost them both and had a DNC with the second baby. Because of all of this, she advised the minimal and I now have a ballon catheter in me until Tuesday. I will do an attempt with IVF after I am recovered, but my fear is that since she did not remove the intramurals how soon will they grow back to being partially submucousal? My fear is that by November (which is what I estimate I will do IVF) they would have regrown.

:kiss: Hi guys, jumping in say hi. sorry I have been AWOL for a bit...saw my doc on the 16th, and alhumdulelah [thanks to God] All my numbers are very good - my fibroid is acting like a natural IUD.

Hubby's SA was awesome, from a 2mL sample, 76% motility, 108million plus, I can't remember morphology, I want to say 12%, she said it was incredibly high [good egyptian genes lol] long story short, his guys are healthy...

My numbers were equally good, I am ovulating, I have a lot of eggs, she was expecting like only 4 antrals, they counted 14 on one side, 12 on the other....in essence thanks mom for the good genes too! [in her words, I will be reproductive at LEAST a few more years....]

We have my procedure booked, and it may take a few passes to get it all out..we are hoping to be completely medically cleared by April, and then will proceed with the baby dancing :D.

Doc's also really happy with my cycle [thanks to you guys...I gave her my charts, and she was impressed], and I will maintain them going forward, but no potential babies until the mass is out....I won't stop my cycles with hormones, but we will use protection ...She realizes we could have a pregnancy this month [we were unprotected during O days...] but...we will wait and see.

That's it, I have to catch up on a lot... but sending :dust: to all !!! :hugs::happydance:hugs:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I will cross post to reach everyone...sorry for repeat msgs.

Rashaa,

I just had a hysteroscopic surgery to remove minor scar tissue and some intramural fibroids that were partially submucosal. My doctor went in and removed the scar tissue and then she scraped the fibroids that were growing inside the uterus. The largest one was 2cm. She did not recommend a myoectomy sine I had an open one in 2010 and a laparoscopy myoectomy in 2009. I also went into preterm labor with twins in March and April of this year - lost them both and had a DNC with the second baby. Because of all of this, she advised the minimal and I now have a ballon catheter in me until Tuesday. I will do an attempt with IVF after I am recovered, but my fear is that since she did not remove the intramurals how soon will they grow back to being partially submucousal? My fear is that by November (which is what I estimate I will do IVF) they would have regrown.

I have no idea how long they will take to grow....my condolences on your losses :(. Mine were intramural and took 12 +/- 3 years to get to the submucosal level. I only know this as we tracked them from my pregnancy with my son to now....so I have documented proof - and they developed between my daughter and my son.... at that time they were within the wall, but in the past year, have been tracked to one being submucosal...

Why do you have the ballon catheter in currently? [or did you..] how are you doing now? :hug:

Hi there. Just popping in...I'm scheduled for a laparascopic myomectomy on Wednesday, and my doctor has asked that we wait to TTC for 4-6mos in order to allow my uterus to heal. She would prefer that we wait the full 6mos, but due to the fact that I'm 39 she's given the OK to try as early as 4mos.

I've heard of other women being given the green light to TTC as early as 6wks post-surgery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->