Myomectomy? Any one had one to remove a fibroid?

Well my fibroid is definitely on my uterus lining. It covers the whole top half of my uterus and is all in the muscle wall except for the part that is of course on the lining. So the fS said we should definitely look into surgery. So now i have to wait for him to talk to 2 surgeons and find who could do the best job for me. So i have to call him on thursday and go from there. Now that i know i need surgery, i'm a nervous wreck!! this is very scary.

Well my fibroid is definitely on my uterus lining. It covers the whole top half of my uterus and is all in the muscle wall except for the part that is of course on the lining. So the fS said we should definitely look into surgery. So now i have to wait for him to talk to 2 surgeons and find who could do the best job for me. So i have to call him on thursday and go from there. Now that i know i need surgery, i'm a nervous wreck!! this is very scary.

Teddybearpug, I know the thought of surgery is very scary. I was very scared before I had my fibroid removed, but I kept thinking about the bigger picture. Stay positive and know that you are one step closer to a BFP.:hugs::hugs:

hi teddybear, wow that is certainly nerve-wrecking news but i guess perhaps it can you give you some answers as to why your ttc has taken so long?? From what i hear, i think these types of surgeries are fairly common for doctors to do so hopefully you will find out more on thursday about the options and feel less stressed out it. take care

Hi Folks, I am two weeks post-op from my hysteroscopic resection, and AF arrived .. it is so much LIGHTER and so fewer cramps, and less clots [sorry tmi] but WOW what a difference.

I had fibroids for quite a while, and even conceived and carried my son to term with them..but they were not as submucosal as one became [that just got removed].

We have no problem getting pregnant, and probably have have more pregnancies than I actually tracked [given the signs, symptoms, late flows and the type of clots etc..] but for sure implantation has been a hindrance with this last fibroid...I am going in for my scan next week - and we will be able to see how things healed, if there is more to get out, and when we can get back to TTC'ing.

I realize that everyone is a bit scared with the procedure [and in my case, the day of the surgery, I had a cold, they couldn't tap me for an epidural after 3 attempts, I ended up with GA, and got aspiration pneumonia..but quickly recovered!] I say all of this to say, the benefits outweighed the risks for us too much..and I went from close to hemorrhaging with each menses cycle [one tampon, two pads as backup each hour], to only using one tampon darn near the whole day! [what a difference]!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is halleluhia :).

thanks, your stories are very encouraging. My dr office called today and i have an appt to discuss what needs to be done on dec 29. So now the waiting begins. i just have to keep my goal in mind and stay positive!

. I think they called it a polypectomy or something, so perhaps yours will be different!

Hi there,

Hope you all don't mind if I join in on this discussion. I too was recently diagnosed with 3 submucosal fibroids(largest one 3.3cm) and am planning to have surgery for them on January 18th. My DH and I have been trying for 6 months with no luck. My RE said that it will likely be difficult to get pregnant with these types of fibroids as mine protrude into the cavity. He also said that if I did get pregnant that I have a higher chance of miscarriage.

It seems like everyone here was able to get pregnant but maybe couldn't hold on to them. I just wondered if anyone couldn't get pregnant before myomectomy and then was able to do so after myomectomy. Thanks!

Hi there,

Hope you all don't mind if I join in on this discussion. I too was recently diagnosed with 3 submucosal fibroids(largest one 3.3cm) and am planning to have surgery for them on January 18th. My DH and I have been trying for 6 months with no luck. My RE said that it will likely be difficult to get pregnant with these types of fibroids as mine protrude into the cavity. He also said that if I did get pregnant that I have a higher chance of miscarriage.

It seems like everyone here was able to get pregnant but maybe couldn't hold on to them. I just wondered if anyone couldn't get pregnant before myomectomy and then was able to do so after myomectomy. Thanks!

hi there,
i haven't been pregnant yet but i know there is a couple of ladies who have some success stories post surgery. it is interesting that we get told different things by our doctors. i have a fibroid which is about 2.5ish cm and was told that it was considered 'small'. whereas your one is not much bigger but you are having surgery for it. we have been ttc for 9 months with no luck .
GL with your surgery on the 18th.

I had my appt today to discuss the robotic myomectomy. I have to say that i am a bit dissapointed because even though the dr promoted the surgery, he seemed to encourage the natural approach? It was weird because he was talking about how people get pregnant with fibroids all the time and theres not necessarily alot data supporting that removing it would increase our chances. :shrug: I think he was just telling me our options. So now i'm waiting for them to contact the insurance company and find out how much this is going to cost.

To aleja and TeddyBearPug,

I have read probably too much about fibroids but my summary is this. There are different kinds of fibroids and they are classified into 3 basic categories:
1. Subserosal - outside of the uterus
2. Intramural - inside the wall of the uterus
3. Submucosal - within the uterus

The current opinion is that subserosal fibroids do not impede one's ability to get pregnant nor do they pose a risk for miscarriage or any other problem while pregnant. There is some question as to whether or not intramural fibroids cause a slight decrease in fertility but the data seems to show that removing them does not improve your chances of conception. The submucosal fibroids are the rarest type and although there are limited randomized, controlled trials the latest one published showed that removal of submucosal fibroids increases or essentially normalizes a woman's chance to conceive and decreases their risk of miscarriage. The submucosal fibroid, if left alone, seems to decrease a woman's chance of conceiving by acting like an IUD. Of course it is possible to get pregnant with them but there is an increased chance for miscarriage. Any fibroid that protrudes into the cavity or distorts the lining of the uterus can cause infertility issues. So it all depends on what kind of fibroid you have. I think that sums it up.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I hope that helps someone!!

thanks so much gettinginfo this is really useful. sorry for the late reply as i had been on holidays. I really can't wait to see the FS which is coming up this month but I have a feeling he will say that the fibroid is nothing to worry about. i have an intramural one that is smallish....to be honest i would happily have it removed if it did increase my chances. we are going onto my 10th cycle with no luck and it is getting tiring.

Teddybear, i am sorry to hear about your doctor's opinion. From what you described your fibs sound quite intrusive and large. i would definately ask for a second opinion if you can. all the best.

thanks so much gettinginfo this is really useful. sorry for the late reply as i had been on holidays. I really can't wait to see the FS which is coming up this month but I have a feeling he will say that the fibroid is nothing to worry about. i have an intramural one that is smallish....to be honest i would happily have it removed if it did increase my chances. we are going onto my 10th cycle with no luck and it is getting tiring.

Teddybear, i am sorry to hear about your doctor's opinion. From what you described your fibs sound quite intrusive and large. i would definately ask for a second opinion if you can. all the best.

i actually have another appt with a surgeon in another city Monday the 9th. I'm very excited because he specializes in these surgeries and has alot of experience. So i think he will be more optomistic with my goals. I am very nervous with the current surgeon operating on me...i mean, this is our uterus!!! We have to be careful! I have always thought my fibroid was the problem so i am ready to find someone to take it out. I feel confident that after its gone, i will get pregnant. Fx'd!!

Hi TeddyBearPug,

Good luck with your appointment. I know I was totally freaked out when my RE stuck that ultrasound probe in my private area and said "you have fibroids" followed by "you may need to have surgery to remove them". This was my first appt and I was so sure that nothing would be wrong. I am the ripe old age of 38 but I feel like I'm 25. Ha! Too bad my body doesn't. I am feeling a little better about the whole thing. I go in for the surgery on Jan. 18th.

I am very lucky b/c my sister is an OB/gyn and when I first told her I had fibroids she didn't really think much of it. After I got the MRI and it showed they were submucosal she started singing another tune and agreed with my RE that I should have them out. Hope your appt goes well! I will keep you all posted...

Hi TeddyBearPug,

Good luck with your appointment. I know I was totally freaked out when my RE stuck that ultrasound probe in my private area and said "you have fibroids" followed by "you may need to have surgery to remove them". This was my first appt and I was so sure that nothing would be wrong. I am the ripe old age of 38 but I feel like I'm 25. Ha! Too bad my body doesn't. I am feeling a little better about the whole thing. I go in for the surgery on Jan. 18th.

I am very lucky b/c my sister is an OB/gyn and when I first told her I had fibroids she didn't really think much of it. After I got the MRI and it showed they were submucosal she started singing another tune and agreed with my RE that I should have them out. Hope your appt goes well! I will keep you all posted...

just a few more weeks and you will be fibroid free!! I recently turned 30 and was diagnosed with my fibroid at 28 and was told it was nothing to be worried about. Idk how long i had it before i was actually diagnosed, prolly a while since it was pretty big when my new obgyn found it. So after almost 2 years they have figured out it was a problem. My FS said i had to be very unlucky to have a fibroid my size at my age...super :dohh: how big is yours? are you nervous about the surgery?

hi teddy, you are so right we can't let any old doctor poke around with our uterus!!!! i am glad you are going to another doctor he seems much more on the ball about fibroids. its interesting that each doctor has a different opinion about these sorts of things.
can't wait to hear what the new surgeon will say to you.

Gettinginto....GL with your surgery on the 18th...i hope everything goes well and that it brings you one step closer to a bubba. I am 34 and i keep forgetting this as i feel younger...too bad biology doesn't agree!!!!! let us know how you go:flower:

The new surgeon i talked to was awesome!! I'm going for a MRI tomorrow so he can see exactly where mine is to map out his surgery. Mine is a sneaky little thing as it looks big and innocent but its not! Anyone else have to have a MRI?

The new surgeon i talked to was awesome!! I'm going for a MRI tomorrow so he can see exactly where mine is to map out his surgery. Mine is a sneaky little thing as it looks big and innocent but its not! Anyone else have to have a MRI?

Good luck tomorrow teddy

Hey TeddyBearPug and others,

How did the MRI go? Sorry I didn't write back sooner to tell you about the MRI experience. Hopefully you weren't scared. It is a little freaky b/c you are in the tube which is like an inch from your face. I tried to go to my zen place....wherever that is! Anyway, do you know your results? THe MRI is a very helpful tool for the surgeon b/c they can figure out exactly how many you have and where they are.

I have had a dandy ole time since my last post. I had an HSG done on Wed. As if I didn't have enough to worry about one of my tubes did not let dye pass thru. GREAT!:growlmad: My RE didn't seem too concerned and thought perhaps it could be spasm. He is going to check it out during the surgery. He says that if it is truly blocked it could just be some mucus(nice!) and apparently I can get yet another procedure to "clean out my pipes". Gotta love that! The fun just keeps coming. :thumbup:

I am anxious but kind of ready for Wed. to get here so I can stop thinking about the surgery. I hope you all are doing well! Keep me posted...

Hey TeddyBearPug and others,

How did the MRI go? Sorry I didn't write back sooner to tell you about the MRI experience. Hopefully you weren't scared. It is a little freaky b/c you are in the tube which is like an inch from your face. I tried to go to my zen place....wherever that is! Anyway, do you know your results? THe MRI is a very helpful tool for the surgeon b/c they can figure out exactly how many you have and where they are.

I have had a dandy ole time since my last post. I had an HSG done on Wed. As if I didn't have enough to worry about one of my tubes did not let dye pass thru. GREAT!:growlmad: My RE didn't seem too concerned and thought perhaps it could be spasm. He is going to check it out during the surgery. He says that if it is truly blocked it could just be some mucus(nice!) and apparently I can get yet another procedure to "clean out my pipes". Gotta love that! The fun just keeps coming. :thumbup:

I am anxious but kind of ready for Wed. to get here so I can stop thinking about the surgery. I hope you all are doing well! Keep me posted...
Hi gettinginfo a lot has happened to u recently hope u are staying sane. I am guessing that it is two different surgeries u may have to have?however stressful it must feel relief to get to the bottom of the mystery. GL for Wednesday

Hey, just thought I'd pop in and say hi as well. My boyfriend and I have been ttc for 3.5 years now with no success. In august my u/s showed i had a fibroid about 3cm in size and they said I would need surgery to remove it. I have my surgery booked for the 30th jan 12 for a hysteroscopic and then possible a laparotomy if there are any complications whilst i'm under. I was never told specifically what fibroid I had, but judging from the surgery they chose and they did say it was protruding into the uterus, that I have a submucosal fibroid!

Really nervous about it all, but loved listening to all the stories on here and fingers crossed we will all get our BFP soon. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->