Newborn or 0-3 months?!

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
I'm having my first baby in January and I am so confused when it comes to sizes! Is there any point buying anything newborn?! Everywhere I've been the clothes go from tiny baby, first size/newborn, 0-3months. I've bought 3 baby grows in first size, and then 2 outfits in 0-3months. Before I start buying more I want to know what sizes I should be getting?! I don't want to start buying lots of newborn things if there's no point..

I had newborn stuff and 0-3 months. However the newborn stuff I had were for 8pounds and up :wacko: And my LO was about 5pounds4oz when we were discharged from the hospital so stuff swam on her! ended up needing to buy some preemie stuff, So it really all depends on how big your baby is when its born LOL

My first never fit into tiny baby or newborn (much too long!) and was only in 0-1 for about 2 weeks, then 0-3. Luckily I'd bought only a few little things and had got them second hand (eBay and baby sale) and dirt cheap.
I would get about 6 vests and sleepsuits in newborn but either but very cheap second hand stuff, borrow them, or buy them but not open the pack so they can be exchanged for bigger sizes. Personally I wouldn't bother with tiny baby. If baby does come early, you'll be in hospital for a bit and there'll be time for someone to pick you up some vests and sleepsuits.
I wouldn't bother with outfits in newborn or 0-1 either. When they're tiny, anything that doesn't fully open so needs to go over their head is a pain to get on.
My recommendation would be M&S vests and Next sleepsuits, both are brilliant!

I think you have to go by two things (and even then things can happen that you couldn't predict):
1) family history of big/small babies on either side, to give you an idea of how big ur baby might be.
2) How they've said you're measuring on your ultrasound scans.
I only bought 0-3months clothes before having my dd as big babies (10 pounders) run in both of our families, and every time I had a scan they said baby was measuring big for gestational age. Well she was delivered 8days early via c section and was 9lbs2 and 57cms long! So it turned out to be just right as she needed 0-3months clothes!
And I agree with amygdala, m&S and next are the best babygro's and vests x

My mum told me that buying NB sizes was a waste of time so I only bought 0-3 months. Typically when DD was born she was smaller than everyone expected and 0-3 drowned her!! In the end we had to rush out to buy her clothes that actually fit. True, they may only be in NB briefly so it's better to get more of 0-3 months but I still think it's worth buying a couple of outfits in NB at least, just in case.

If your baby is not a preemie or is not too small at birth I would not invest too much in newborn clothes. Do get some though even if he/she will grow out of it quickly, you do want let's say 3 vests etc that do fit. My son was swimming in 0-3 month clothes untill he was 2 months old they looked alright on him.

Thanks ladies, it's hard to tell baby size, I was 6lb 6, brother was 5lb 1. OH and his 2 brothers were all 9lb babies! I'm going 2nd hand and cheap as much as possible purely because I can't justify spending all that money on clothes that aren't going to fit very long! Think what I'll do is buy a pack or 2 of newborn vests and sleep suits, I'm due end of jan and I imagine for the first few weeks this is all baby will be in. I have the first size snowsuit which is £22 in shops and I got one for 99p on eBay (love eBay!) and then everything else I will buy in 0-3 months :)

You never know what size. I would buy enough newborn clothes for 2 weeks though .
People tend to really obsess about having everything before baby is born. I try not to let it stress me as me, my husband, or parents can go out and buy whatever I need if I didn't have enough clothes or something. Also the Internet - can get anything within 72 hours usually. Try not to stress

Im going to go against the grain and say I wish id bought more newborn!! Lucas was 8lb3oz and a chunky looking baby yet he was in newborn clothes until 5 weeks!! In this time id so many visitors and wanted him to have cute outfits but nothing fitted so he lived in vests ( they still fit at 8 weeks!! Although he doesnt wear them now) and babygros but I still had to go out and buy more. Maybe get a newborn bundle off ebay for dirt cheap

I was really unsure about getting newborn size too but when I went clothes shopping recently I discovered that 0-3 months clothes vary so much in size! I just compared the actual size rather than the label and ended up with three distinct sizes of 0-3m clothes. The smallest ones are smaller than many of the ones labelled newborn.

You never know what size. I would buy enough newborn clothes for 2 weeks though .
People tend to really obsess about having everything before baby is born. I try not to let it stress me as me, my husband, or parents can go out and buy whatever I need if I didn't have enough clothes or something. Also the Internet - can get anything within 72 hours usually. Try not to stress

I think with it being my first I want everything to be ready. I'm the type of person who prepares way in advance for everything ha ha!!! I'm not stressing about it, i just don't want to waste money if I can help it. I guess we won't know until baby is here!

eBay really is great, I saw a leopard print snowsuit 0-3months in mothercare on Friday (£35!!!!!!!!!) found a used like new one on eBay and won for £5. I like to think I'm a good bargain hunter ;)

I bought newborn and 0-3 months but it even swamped my 8lb baby! So I bought some early baby things x

We only bought 0-3 as we were told baby would be large (she was 8lb 14oz). We tried the 0-3 stuff on her but it was way too big so we bought newborn clothes which she wore for about a month.

Our daughter was 7lb 11oz at birth, so just slightly above the average and certainly not small. She wore newborn only until about 4 weeks then some of the 0-3 stuff fitted.

Personally I'm planning on plenty of both sizes again. Our daughter was quite sicky (reflux) so we went through a lot of changes. 3 outfits would've been one day's wear on a good day for us.

Only buy vests and sleep suits in newborn though, don't bother with cute outfits - you won't use them.

Tiny baby size is really for premature or very small birth weight babies. Hopefully you won't need them but for those who end up needing them they'd be in hospital anyway for a while so someone could go shopping for them (and hospital would have some things in meantime for such a situation).

I have a few newborn items and then a few 0-3 months so I have a mixture - if I need more I am sure my Mum will go get me smaller ones etc :shrug:

It really does depend on the baby. I remember my cousin's son was about 8lbs when he was born and even then newborn stuff swam on him! My son was the worst though I was told he'd be over 6lbs close to 7 based on my last scan but when he was born he was a tiny 5lbs, 4oz (39 weeks) so all of the cute newborn and 0-3 outfits I bought him he couldn't wear for a while. My sister ended up going out and getting me several preemie outfits for him. He was only in the preemie for a few weeks but he was actually in newborn for a few months and then 0-3 for several months after that. I agree that its probably best to have a little bit of mix of newborn and 0-3 to begin with and then once you know which size you'll need for longer, go out and get more then. Good luck!

Nathan was a lil over 8lbs at birth but only measured about 49cm. He fit in newborn clothes but also fits in 0-3 months. We didn't buy much newborn as we were told we might have a bigger baby (he was born at 41 weeks) and things fitting a little bigger are better than things being a little tight. I'd say just have a couple of things in both sizes for the hospital and then buy a few more afterwards. That's what we ended up doing. We ordered more 0-3 clothes online once we got home just to have extra pj's since the weather changed too. :flower:

Millie was 8lb 7oz at birth and was in newborn for about 5 weeks. Then now at 7 weeks old she's in a combination of up to 1 month and 0-3.

I was expecting my baby to be near 6/7lbs due to family history of baby sizes :haha: sop I had tiny baby stuff too..........that's now all on eBay!

Personally, I like baby clothing to be 0-3 or 0-6 months and go by the seasons too. Like that you know you'll have outfits that could go a long way rather than getting everything newborn. Even if your baby is on the smaller side, 0-3 can still be okay.

With my first I bought a few NB and more 0-3months...my bubba was nearly 10lb and went straight into 0-3...I just kept receipts of things and returned the clothes I didn't use! If you buy them too early you could always take them back to get exchanged instead xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->